Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 07:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 16:29 
User

johnsher wrote:
Rigpig wrote:
Myself?

yourself, myself, anyone.

jamie_duff wrote:
We'd hardly ever move into L3 then by that logic, just in case we slow someone down.

we're not talking about super busy roads though, are we? This is a situation where quite clearly the traffic is free flowing.
If even I can manage to overtake, not to get surprised by people hooning up behind me - yes, occassionally I have to wait for a few seconds before commencing an overtake - and not get aggressively tailgated, then surely anyone can manage it?

Yes, and in 99% of occassions I do, and I'm sure Sixy does too. In this instance, the other driver transpired to be driving well in excess of what most people consider safe and was misjudged. It's going to happen.

Sixy made a judgement, and it turned out it wasn't right. She didn't intend to hold anyone up I'm sure, and certainly wasn't banking on the headlights behind her going nearly twice as fast, given that she was nipping on herself.

Yes, she made a bit of a cock up with her judgement, but ultimately the other driver was well outside his abilities if he was unable to anticipate a car ahead moving into L3 to pass 2 lorries.

I just think you jumped down Sixy's throat too fast and made too many judgements based upon little information.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 16:33 
User

johnsher wrote:
If even I can manage to overtake, not to get surprised by people hooning up behind me - yes, occassionally I have to wait for a few seconds before commencing an overtake - and not get aggressively tailgated, then surely anyone can manage it?

Right. Enough. An no point did I say I was SURPRISED by this guy, in fact I was quite careful in my original post to avoide giving that impression. He didn't 'come out of nowhere', he didn't 'surprise' me, he just got FAR too close. That's all I was saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 16:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sixy_the_red wrote:
He didn't 'come out of nowhere', he didn't 'surprise' me, he just got FAR too close. That's all I was saying.

yes he did. He also either surprised you or you knowingly pulled in front of him, which is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 16:45 
User

johnsher wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:
He didn't 'come out of nowhere', he didn't 'surprise' me, he just got FAR too close. That's all I was saying.

yes he did. He also either surprised you or you knowingly pulled in front of him, which is it?

Oh no he didn't...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 16:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sixy_the_red wrote:
johnsher wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:

Oh no he didn't...

oops, sorry. I meant, yes he did get far too close. As for the rest of it... I guess you've answered that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 16:50 
User

johnsher, tell me, do you drive a vectra?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 17:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sixy_the_red wrote:
johnsher, tell me, do you drive a vectra?

no, nor do I drive at over 100 on public roads. Where appropriate my crusing speed is around 80 so I get passed by plenty of people in my travels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 17:10 
Site Admin

Sixy_the_red wrote:
The worst incident of aggressive tailgating I've ever been witness to happened to me on the M6 Northbound just south of Stoke. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself here).

It was late on (about 9:30pm) on a Sunday evening in winter and hence pitch dark (not that it makes any odds) and I was in L3 passing 2 HGVs. I'd say I was probably doing around 80-85mph at the time. Unfortunately for me there was a rep (I assume) in a Vecta estate behind me who obviously thought that 85 wasn't fast enough and took it upon himself to position himself so close to the back of my car that I couldn't see his headlights in my mirrors.

johnsher wrote:
Attempting to not slam into the back of you after you pulled in front of him without looking? I mean just how do you miss someone closing on you at warp factor 10 at night? Those lights are usually a giveaway. Doesn't anybody check their mirrors before overtaking these days? Certainly doesn't seem to be the case on the roads I drive.

I've examined this exchange. At no point has Sixy suggested that she pulled in front of Vectraman.

I don't think it is reasonable to assume that she did on the information presented. It is entirely possible - indeed commonplace - to overtake for some time in L3 and to eventually be caught up by someone who was not in sight at the time when you moved to L3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 17:32 

Johnsher,

Sixy-the-red may or may not have made a poor judgement in this case.
Regardless, the guy in the Vectra shouldn't have tailgated her, particularly in such an aggressive manner.
The section of the M6 that sixy refers to has a number of sweeping bends, complete with their own crests and dips. At night a car travelling in excess of 130mph would not be easy to judge the speed of, while still being visible from some considerable distance away. I've been in the position of catching up with someone a little quicker than either vehicle expected, entailing some 'enthusiastic' braking on my part without it being a full emergency brake. No need to get QUITE so close to the car in front, nor any need to stay at that distance. I should have judged the close distance better than I did and should have braked earlier. Same for the Vectra driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 17:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

from another thread...

safespeed wrote:
Almost every incident that takes place on our roads could have been avoided by either of the involved parties.

As a professional, it is you duty to avoid incidents by driving around the mistakes of others whenever possible.

When you're hurt in the wreckage it is entirely unimportant who was to blame. It's a thousand times better to use your professional skills to avoid the crash in the first place.

We advocate an 'advanced' / 'defensive' approach to driving that applies to all drivers. Assume the other guy's a fool, and make space for his mistakes. You know it makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 17:58 
Site Admin

johnsher wrote:
from another thread...

safespeed wrote:
Almost every incident that takes place on our roads could have been avoided by either of the involved parties.

As a professional, it is you duty to avoid incidents by driving around the mistakes of others whenever possible.

When you're hurt in the wreckage it is entirely unimportant who was to blame. It's a thousand times better to use your professional skills to avoid the crash in the first place.

We advocate an 'advanced' / 'defensive' approach to driving that applies to all drivers. Assume the other guy's a fool, and make space for his mistakes. You know it makes sense.

Of course. But if we are caught up with by an aggressive driver then we should take advanced / defensive action as soon as we are aware of the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 18:59 
User

I'm not going to read back through all these posts, but I think Sixy said she was halfway past the HGV when the Vectra caught up, and was doing 85 KPH (not MPH surely? :) )
If Vectra man was doing over the ton to such an extent, then he was well back when Sixy started the manouvre, and as has been pointed out, on that section of the M6, not easily judged for speed or distance.

Because Sixy is HALFWAY past the HGV, she cannot win. Slow and drop back would merely agravate the situation - YET she is already being tailgated, so continuing past without speeding up extensively fails to appease Vectra man, who not only CONTINUES to tailgate, but compounds his folly, by cutting in on somebody travelling at 85!!
Quote:
* remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check your mirrors carefully. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
* ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken

Quote:
On the motorway
234: When you can see well ahead and the road conditions are good, you should

drive at a steady cruising speed which you and your vehicle can handle safely and is within the speed limit (see table)
keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front and increase the gap on wet or icy roads, or in fog (see Rules 105 & 210).

The following applies equally to the Vectra man:
Quote:
139: Overtake only when it is safe to do so. You should

not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake....

I can only assume from reading these exchanges, that Jonsher has recently had a really bad experience with somebody pulling out on him, and is therefore in attack mode regarding anyone who seems to have done the same. :oops:

Sixy would appear to have nothing to be embarrassed about from this incident... except for misreading the KPH on the speedo :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 19:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I can only assume from reading these exchanges, that Jonsher has recently had a really bad experience with somebody pulling out on him,

heaven forbid that I might just want to improve driving standards. The reason I get a bit touchy about it is that I'm continually hearing "and I pulled into L3 and this idiot drove right up my arse" comments from people who don't stop to think that they themselves have caused the problem, not helped, of course, by the idiot in front of them who could have pulled back into L1. Then when you mention that they could have waited they go off on one saying that there's no way in the world that they could possibly anticipate that someone less than 100m behind them could catch them in a few seconds. Now show me a motorway where you can't see 100m behind and I'll show you somewhere you shouldn't be driving at 85mph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 21:17 
Life Member
Life Member

Johnsher - I've just read this whole thread in one go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, your position seems to be that you should not pull in to L3 if there is another faster car between you and the horizon behind you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 22:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, your position seems to be that you should not pull in to L3 if there is another faster car between you and the horizon behind you.

no, my position, and that of the highway code, is that you shouldn't pull into L2 or L3 if you're going to hold up someone already in that lane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 22:24 
User

They dont all look like this!
Here (and lots of other places) when it's like this:

You would be hard put to pick out somebody coming up fast BEHIND YOU, when you are checking the road ahead too.
You would rely on check, indicate, check and pull out, not watch the lights behind for several seconds just in case a few seconds later when you are HALFWAY past an HGV, some complete plonker arrives on your tail, having made NO attempt to ease up, and maintain a safe distance!!
The Highway Code applies to ALL parties on the road!! It would appear to me (and most other reasonable people) that Sixy did her bit to proceed in a safe manner, but was thwarted by some nonconforming ignoramus in a Vectra!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 22:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
You would be hard put to pick out somebody coming up fast BEHIND YOU, when you are checking the road ahead too.

If you really can't see what's less than 100m behind you on roads like that when it's not busy then I give up! I never thought I had super powers of observation but obviously I was very, very wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 03:34 
User

Sorry, but you seem to have dreamed up the scenario that Sixy pulled out on a driver who was close enough to be obvious, while glancing in the rear view mirror, AT night; and you claim that at 100 yards back, he would be too close to make the overtake "safe", and that it would be possible to estimate that his excessive speed would put him in conflict with the manouvre?

Sixy_the_Red wrote:
He was well enough behind me when I moved over for me not to worry about him. I was half way past the truck when he closed

What you are doing is forming an opinion that Sixy made a dodgy manouvre, which CAUSED her to be tailgated.

If it went to a court, what do you think the judge would make of the case you are making by quoting the Highway Code?

(a) Judge: "Sixy, by ignoring the Highway Code you quite clearly placed yourself in a position, which forced this unfortunate Vectra Driver to tailgate you at high speed, AND cut in on you after completing HIS overtaking manouvre!"

(b) Judge: "Vectra man, you failed to observe a vehicle in front of you catching up an HGV, thereby failing to anticipate that the said vehicle would be likely to wish to overtake said HGV. Further, you failed to reduce your already excessive speed, and in contravention of the Highway Code, drove so close to the vehicle in front, that your lights could not be seen, at speeds in excess of the posted limit, and having finally passed Sixys vehicle, cut in on her vehicle, placing you both in danger!!"

I have yet to see the BiB view on this, but I think I know which version is the more likely!! :wink:
This view is in twilight.....
- I dont think at night, you can guage the speed of pinpricks of light in your rear view mirror, and decide it might be dangerous to pull out unless you devoted more time to watching your rear than was safe at 70+ mph..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 07:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Sorry, but you seem to have dreamed up the scenario that Sixy pulled out on a driver who was close enough to be obvious, while glancing in the rear view mirror, AT night;

I haven't dreamed it up at all, those were the facts presented.

Ernest Marsh wrote:
and you claim that at 100 yards back, he would be too close to make the overtake "safe", and that it would be possible to estimate that his excessive speed would put him in conflict with the manouvre?

yes, for any competent driver it should be.

Ernest Marsh wrote:
if it went to a court, what do you think the judge would make of the case you are making by quoting the Highway Code?

right, so because one person wants to drive like an idiot, we should therefore all drive like idiots. Absolutely incredible... and I thought this site was about improving driving standards. Given that many here want to increase or remove motorway limits, I'm now very afraid.

Could someone with experience of driving on the autobahns please tell me how they manage to cope with cars going faster than 130mph?

Ernest Marsh wrote:
This view is in twilight.....

and you can clearly see cars all the way back around the corner, a distance of several hundred meters.

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I dont think at night, you can guage the speed of pinpricks of light in your rear view mirror,

maybe not to the nearest 5mph but we have a claim that those those pinpricks were closing at 50mph. Unless this was the world's longest 85mph overtake of a truck doing 56mph or less then you figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 08:21 

Hmm, I reckon the trenches have been dug and defensive positions adopted in this debate

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next