Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 20:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 18:03 

Quite bad on the Pug 807 despite the pillar being miles away from the driver and having what is supposdly the largest screen area on a production car.

After a couple of near misses we have learnt to do a lot of head bobbing.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 18:53 
Life Member
Life Member

Ditto Ford Puma and new style VW Caddy van, both of which I drive at present.

I tend to wiggle my head from side to side as I look at junctions, which wastes all of half a second of my life, and could save it one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 19:12 
Life Member
Life Member

I drove a Citroen Xsara Picasso the other day and was astonished by the degree of obstruction presented by the, distinctly substantial, "A" pillars.

Talk about moving your head about to see round them - you end up looking like you're auditioning for a dancer's role in a "Bollywood" movie!! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 22:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They are huge on some vehicles, I remember a Pug Boxer being very very bad for it, along with a number of people carriers. Yes of course the problem can be mittegated by a lot of movement of the head, but it's less then ideal.

In the persuit of the ultimate in secondary safety, car designers must not lose sight of the best way to pervent injury in cars - that is to avoid the crash in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 22:15 
Life Member
Life Member

Capri2.8i wrote:
along with a number of people carriers.

thats something i'd consider a design flaw on my delica. wide pillar with useless quarterlight, then onto a verticle mirror on the door with a wind deflector coming off right above it. all in several blind inches which "top of my head" triganometry becomes several blind feet very quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 23:16 
User

As Paul mentioned - moving your head is only part of the answer - it can lead to matching the movement of whatever is hidden behind the pillar.
LOL at the Bollywood look!

As a TALL driver, the position/view of pillars, rear-view mirrors, tax disc, and side door pillars is different to a shorter driver. With the seat back to accomodate my long legs, seat back straight up to reach the wheel, you are forced into a poor driving position, in which a look over the right shoulder before an overtake/pull out is blocked by the rear-door pillar, and at junctions, the look left gives a great view of the passengers ear. :o

Older Vauhalls have a rear-view mirror which swung UP towards the roof - ideal for taller drivers. :)
I was once told my poppy sticker next to the tax disc was reason to fail the MOT - until I pointed out that I could see over it, whereas the examiner was of diminuative stature, and looked at it when at crossings etc. :shock:

The answer might be that we just need to know something is there - and a fresnel lens like the rear parking type, in the quarter light, or corner of the screen might fit the bill.
Volvo's approach is a lattice pillar with clear spaces. Great idea - needs refining, researching and if suitable, FITTING in all new cars!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 08:26 
User

The worst car for this that I've driven was a 04 plate Fiat Punto (not through choise I might add - it was a courtesy car!). The A-pillars in that were huge. Couple that with TINY wing mirrors and a stupid shaped body shell so you couldn't see the back end at all. Bloody awful thing.

Like Scutter said, on the bike you have to position yourself with this in mind - I tend to move as far away from the emerging vehicle as possible while still in my lane, and get myself ready to brake / swerve to avoid it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 21:53 
User

Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
My 53 plate Vectra is bloody awful as well - especially with the smaller glass area on these cars compared to older vehicles. You cannot get away with just moving your head to get around the blind spot- you physically have to move yourself in the seat to see around it.

Its far worse than my R plate Mondeo was, and I thought that was pretty obtrusive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 00:03 
Site Admin

From the latest TRL newsletter:

link to entire newsletter

Actually I though they had started that a year ago - perhaps that was prelim, and now there's a large scale study. I'll check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 00:21 

I was at the roundabout on the M69/M1 junction. With the angle of the approach to the roundabout you need to see traffic on the roundabout over your right shoulder. I found the B pillar was blocking my view. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:33 
User

New VW Golf is shocking for A & B pillar obscuration. Previously, on another thread I've also mentioned how water pools on the recessed windscreen between the pillar and the offside wiper. Adds another 3-4 inches of blindness in medium to heavy rain at speeds over 30-40 mph. I've never driven another car with this kind of problem. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 04:14 

Sam Dentten wrote:
New VW Golf is shocking for A & B pillar obscuration. Previously, on another thread I've also mentioned how water pools on the recessed windscreen between the pillar and the offside wiper. Adds another 3-4 inches of blindness in medium to heavy rain at speeds over 30-40 mph. I've never driven another car with this kind of problem. :?

The water pooling thing is a well known design fault on the Golf mk5. I'm surprised VW haven't sorted it yet.

Thick A & B pillars are a two-edged sword. On one hand they help to keep the cabin intact in the event of a front or side impact and without doubt make the car safer. On the other hand, they do obscure visibility.

"One box" design cars (such as MPVs) do seem to have much thicker A pillars than the traditional two & three box designs. Presumably this is to make up for the smaller crumple zone at the front.

It's something to be mindful of when choosing a car. If you test drive a car and don't feel comfortable with the amount of head movement required to see out of it, then don't buy it.

I'm not sure what else to suggest...