Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 19:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 14:33 
User

Some of you may remember I made a post a while back concerning the distraction value of the 300ft high wind turbines put up close to the road at the Ford Motor Company site in Dagenham.

Well, it took longer than I expected, but today I sat on the A13 for almost an hour with the road closed while the police cleared up the mess from a major RTA on the London bound carriageway along side the Ford factory.

I have been surprised it has taken this long as almost every day I have seen drivers staring at the turbines instead of looking where they are going, and judging by the large number of skid marks in the roads there have been many near misses.

How this can be remedied is beyond me though.. Would putting up signs saying "Do not look at the turbines" just encourage people to look?

Russ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 08:46 

The problem is that just about anything out of the ordinary will attract drivers attention, particularly on a monotonous, boring journey.
The Harrier aircraft crossing low over the A1 on finals to land were always a guaranteed distraction at Wittering. I can well recall the sight of drivers drifting lazily from one lane to the other as they gawped at the jets passing close overhead. I even remember passing one chap on my bike who was taking a photo with a camera in his left hand, whilst writing something on a clipboard propped on his steering wheel. :shock:
Dunno what you can do about it apart from surround all roads with enormous high fences to prevent them seeing whats around them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 13:03 
User

Another fine example of "Stupid People"!!!

I think £250 fine and 6 points for these offencess???

;o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 13:18 

DevilsAdvocate wrote:
Another fine example of "Stupid People"!!!

:lol:

Peter Hitchens who used to write for the Express newspaper came up with the idea of the offence of Driving Whilst Stupid; tongue in cheek of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 13:21 
User

I've heard of similar offences such as "Driving without a brain" and "Drivin whilst under the influence of stupidity".

For the more non PC, also "Driving in posession of ovaries/testicles" (delete where appropriate).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 13:35 
User

Well, I can't say I am surprised, but, guess what?

The anwer to the question of "How do we make drivers not look at the turbines?", is obviously to install speed cameras.

On my way home from work yesterday and again on my way to work this morning, I noticed road markings and new poles ready for not one camera, or two, or five, or ten, but TWELVE cameras covering about four miles of both carriageways centered on the wind turbines.

Yes, you read that right, TWELVE additional cameras.

This will bring the total number of speed and traffic light cameras that I pass through on my daily journey too and from work up to FORTY excluding any mobile units that there may be on that day.

Can anyone beat that??

Regards,

Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 21:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well Russ, that’s it… the accidents will now increase due to drivers gluing themselves to the speedo. Well known fact but now they will be able to blame speed instead. :(

"The normally careful and competent actions of a reasonable individual should be considered legal."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:53 
Banned
Banned

Biker-Russ wrote:
post a while back concerning the distraction value of the 300ft high wind turbines. How this can be remedied is beyond me though..

The answer is to put up many more, to the point where they become commonplace like billboards and telegaph poles.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:54 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

basingwerk wrote:
Biker-Russ wrote:
post a while back concerning the distraction value of the 300ft high wind turbines. How this can be remedied is beyond me though..

The answer is to put up many more, to the point where they become commonplace like billboards and telegaph poles.

There is a slight difference in scale there. Also billboards and telegraph poles don't spin round or make a noise.

Obviously if the whole country was covered in 100 wind turbines per square mile the distraction factor would be much reduced, but it wouldn't exactly enhance the landscape, would it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 14:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Definition of a wind turbine on Numberwatch: a white elephant surrounded by dead birds. Guess we can add wrecked cars and Gatsos to that. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 19:29 
Suspended
Suspended

People used to look as cars went by, nowadays they are commonplace, So wil be widmills and gatsos become.

So everyone will be able to drive along at the correct speed, never over the limit, knowing that they are being caught on camera. thereby never being distracted by them. (or windmills).

Just imagine...........................peace and serenity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 19:42 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

speed kills wrote:
People used to look as cars went by, nowadays they are commonplace, So wil be widmills and gatsos become.

So everyone will be able to drive along at the correct speed, never over the limit, knowing that they are being caught on camera. thereby never being distracted by them. (or windmills).

Just imagine...........................peace and serenity.

Perhaps you think having a 300-foot high wind turbine at the bottom of your garden will improve your property value...

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 19:54 
Life Member
Life Member

Biker-Russ wrote:
The anwer to the question of "How do we make drivers not look at the turbines?", is obviously to install speed cameras.

Well obviously. If we put one there right now, it will be almost guaranteed to have reduced accidents by 100% for the next few weeks at least! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 20:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This seems like a very good place to put speed cameras, at least people hunting for them (there should be signs up saying 12 speed cameras in the next five minles) are vaguely looking near the road, as opposed to the sky. The speed cameras don't have to have any film in, of course...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:59 

PeterE wrote:
Perhaps you think having a 300-foot high wind turbine at the bottom of your garden will improve your property value...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: