Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 08:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BikeSafe
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 16:15 

For those who don't know BikeSafe is a road safety scheme that aims to improve the road safety of motorcyclists through education.

I'm involved running a scheme and perform some of the on-road assessments and training. This is done on a voluntary basis as the scheme cannot affort Police riders and has had to run a special instructor course run by the police advanced driving school.

When I enquired why BikeSafe could not be partly funded by the Speed Camera partnerships as a valid investment in road safety (we don't even have radios). I was told that the DfT and NSCP don't view bikesafe as a road safety initiative, because it is not about reducing riders speeds.

So there we have it the hypothication scheme is just about raising money to fund speed humps, pinch points, lower limits and cameras...?

In the words of jeremy clerkson "err... no..." the first 3 are funded by the council.

For the cost of a single speed speed camera we could Run BikeSafe for over 1000 riders or buy Bike2Bike radios for 200 instructors

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: BikeSafe
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 16:37 
Site Admin

diy wrote:
For the cost of a single speed speed camera we could Run BikeSafe for over 1000 riders or buy Bike2Bike radios for 200 instructors

Makes you want to cry. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 18:27 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

diy wrote:
When I enquired why BikeSafe could not be partly funded by the Speed Camera partnerships as a valid investment in road safety (we don't even have radios). I was told that the DfT and NSCP don't view bikesafe as a road safety initiative, because it is not about reducing riders speeds.

Do you have that in writing? That could be dynamite.

Surely anyone with an ounce of common sense knows very well that if you get a group of motorcyclists on a course and the first thing you tell them is that the key to safety is sticking within the speed limit, you won't see them for dust. I've even been to official conferences where platform speakers have made the same point.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 13:37 
User

I have done one of these courses and can highly recommend it.

I did this in late July of this year. A good mix of lectures and observed rides. Run by the people who have to pick up the bits when things go wrong.

I did pick up a number of tips and in general it made me think again about how I was riding and what I should be doing to improve my skills.

The question I think is how to attract to the course the sort of people who really need the training.

A. The I know every thing anyway cos I is the fastest of me mates.

B. The don't wanna go to the ****er's they already busted me for 9 points.

C. The I have been riding for 10 years they won't be able to teach me anything. Anyway I'm still waiting for the insurance payout from my last crash.

Etc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:48 

PeterE wrote:
diy wrote:

Do you have that in writing? That could be dynamite.

No I was told verbally by the council road safety officer who runs the scheme, but anyone could send an email to NSCP asking if funds raised by partnerships are used to assist bike safe. Unfortunately I'm on the ignore list.

Essentially, lack of funds is why I'm involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 08:28 
Suspended
Suspended

These types of courses are only as good as the instructor.

Their is no replacement for experiance!

The direct access course should be scrapped, riders should be kept on limited bikes for at least 2 years before jumping on an R1.

All riders should also prove they have ridden a lower cc bike for the 2 years with Insurance documents etch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 09:48 
User

The course is run by the Police.
Instructors are serving officers check out the web sites.

www.bikesafe.co.uk
www.bikesafe-london.co.uk

Their aim is :-

BikeSafe is an initiative run by Police Forces around the United Kingdom who work with the whole of the biking world to help to lower the number of motorcycle rider casualties.
By passing on their knowledge, skills and experience, police motorcyclists can help you become a safer more competent rider.

They help you to increase your ability and confidence, so you can get even more enjoyment from riding your motorcycle.

bmwk12 you do have a point about direct access courses but remember before the A1 test was introduced you could pass the test at 17 and then ride anything.

Now a young rider or somebody taking and passing an A1 test is limited to 33 bhp for two years.

Direct Access tests are for Riders over 21 and have to be taken on a bike of 46.6 bhp.

Just because you have the insurance documents does not mean that you have the experience.

I have heard of people buying an old C90 and leaving it in the garage, not using it just to gain the no-claims bonus.