Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 20:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 17:07 
User

Hi all,

in their relentless pursuit to see road safety that also concerns cyclists ands pedestrians as well as motorists T2000 are promoting a new type of passive safety advice, that is, 'train the car to obey the speed limit and forget about training the driver' see this letter from the message board of T2000:

In today`s London Evening Standard there is a proposal that cars in London should be equipped with automatic speed limiters to prevent them speeding.

Why only London? Surely Transport 2000 should be demanding this for the whole country? Obviously some speed limits still have to be lowered, but this measure could prevent vehicles going dangerously fast and virtually eliminate road accidents!

It will be fascinating to see what contortions the ABD will come up with to oppose this. After all, it keeps harking on about `training` making drivers safer (quite how much training you need to read the number on a sign I can`t imagine) but there would be no need for training if the car itself controlled the speed.

Cycleman

From the usual 'never driven a car and know nothing about it mob'

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 21:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

that Cycleman dude is a clown, he posts on there alot. it is interesting that they make reference to what ABD will think, when they moderate out any "non believers" (like me)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:33 
User

'virtually eliminate road accidents'
So speed limiters will stop people from watching the scenery rather than the road?
Will they stop drunk/mobile phone using pedestrians from stepping onto the front bumper of an approaching car doing 20mph?
Can it stop young cyclists from riding the wrong side of the road and just pulling out without bothering to look?
And does it go without saying that people will no longer drink/take drugs and drive becasue there cas has a speed limiter on?
What about the odd mechanical failure. Will this policy mean our cars will never ever break at the most inapproprite time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:56 

This is joke ideology supported by joke organisation.

They are not interested in motoring issues. They are not interested in safety They are not even interested in the environment. They are a collection of weak minded misfits and politically motivated individuals who look upon anything that makes motoring unpleasant or expensive as something to be promoted.

I would not give credibility to anything that appears on there site. They won't be happy until we are living back in the dark ages!

Why don’t they have a forum like this where views can be expressed openly instead of the pathetic back-patting rubbish that they chose to publish on their message board.

Just look at the rules for their board...
*Not perpetrate myths or misconceptions.
(thats their job)
*Be relevant to the work of Transport 2000.
(screw the motorist)
*Not bring Transport 2000 or individuals connected with it into disrepute.
(No free speech then)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 13:42 
Banned
Banned

Pug205GRD wrote:
Will they stop drunk/mobile phone using pedestrians from stepping onto the front bumper of an approaching car doing 20mph?

You have only had a licence for 9 months, so I suppose you have recent memories of being a pedestrian? The highway code contains good advice on this. The stopping distance at 20 mph is doubled when you drive at 30. 20 is a good top speed when there pedestrians who can get in the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 14:38 

Gizmo wrote:
They are not interested in motoring issues. They are not interested in safety They are not even interested in the environment. They are a collection of weak minded misfits and politically motivated individuals who look upon anything that makes motoring unpleasant or expensive as something to be promoted.

Really? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 17:03 

Rigpig wrote:
Gizmo wrote:

Really? :roll:

Sorry If I was stating the obvious... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 17:11 

Pug205GRD wrote:

I read somewhere that 25% of adult pedestrians who were killed on the roads were technicaly drunk......Don't remember any safety messages aimed at them.

Don't penalise motorists for other peoples stupidity. The same goes for parents who let their kids play near major roads.

It makes my blood boil when I hear of a young child getting killed on the roads when he was unsupervised by his parents. The effect on the motorist is tragic and the mother just shifts the blaim to the driver to get over her guilt at being a crap parent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 01:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

basingwerk wrote:
Pug205GRD wrote:

You have only had a licence for 9 months, so I suppose you have recent memories of being a pedestrian?

I have had a driving licence for 28 years, but I am still fully aware of what it means to be a pedestrian, as I am one on far more occasions than I am a car driver.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 01:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Gizmo wrote:
Pug205GRD wrote:

I read somewhere that 25% of adult pedestrians who were killed on the roads were technicaly drunk......Don't remember any safety messages aimed at them.

I believe (although I can't quote a source) that about 40% of all adult pedestrians killed in road accidents are above the legal drink-drive limit, and between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am it is 80%.

Of course this doesn't mean they're "drunk" in any meaningful sense of the term, but their judgment may well be impaired by alcohol.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 08:55 

These are the stats that seem to get lost when pressure groups lean on motorists. You just can't protect the stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:41 
User

Why not set up a pressure group to lean on these pressure groups that dont like us mere motorists. (The ones that pay lots of tax to keep the country ticking over....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 14:52 
User

PeterE wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
Pug205GRD wrote:

I believe (although I can't quote a source) that about 40% of all adult pedestrians killed in road accidents are above the legal drink-drive limit, and between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am it is 80%.

Of course this doesn't mean they're "drunk" in any meaningful sense of the term, but their judgment may well be impaired by alcohol.

Look hard at those police stats, and NHS ones!

Also - obvious that this is true - you only need to patrol through the booze and club lands on weekend shifts to see this. It is a nightmare - too many worse the wear for drink staggering all over the place! :roll:

It is indeed scary .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 16:33 
Life Member
Life Member

basingwerk wrote:
Pug205GRD wrote:

You have only had a licence for 9 months, so I suppose you have recent memories of being a pedestrian? The highway code contains good advice on this. The stopping distance at 20 mph is doubled when you drive at 30. 20 is a good top speed when there pedestrians who can get in the way.

By that argument you might as well make the speed limit 2 mph, and make the stopping distance zero. But you can't do that, because people have to get to work, to pay for food and rent. Not to mention the environmental implications.

Wouldn't it have more effect on road safety if people were encouraged not to walk into the road without looking? It achieves the same end result, but maintains a sense of justice by targeting those who are at fault, and without impacting the economy or the environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 18:21 
Suspended
Suspended

Sounds like a good idea.

I keep seeing posts from people on this board saying how difficult it is to drive within the speed limit.

How they have to keep looking at their speedo, and having shunts and crashes because of it.

I dont consider myself as much of a driver but I can keep my car within the speed limit without all the problems some seem to have. Including many that 5 minutes later are telling us they are advanced drivers!

Maybe If someone has been in a collision due to excess speed, they could be made to drive a car, set at a maximum 30 miles per hour, that should keep everyone happy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 18:29 
Site Admin

speed kills wrote:
Sounds like a good idea.

I keep seeing posts from people on this board saying how difficult it is to drive within the speed limit.

It isn't a question of how easy it might be. It's a question of how important it might be. If we allocate resources to something unimportant then we have fewer resources remaining to allocate to important things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 18:59 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

speed kills wrote:
I dont consider myself as much of a driver but I can keep my car within the speed limit without all the problems some seem to have. Including many that 5 minutes later are telling us they are advanced drivers!

I'd like to bet you'd find it much more difficult than you say. Let us know where you live and I'm sure one of us will arrange an observed drive with you to demonstrate the point :wink:

As Paul has said, this can only be achieved either by driving so far below the speed limit that it is frankly antisocial, or by diverting a lot of attention away from general observation to speed limit compliance.

Quote:
Maybe If someone has been in a collision due to excess speed, they could be made to drive a car, set at a maximum 30 miles per hour, that should keep everyone happy?

Apart from the two-mile tailback behind them on an NSL A-road, of course.

And they could still get banned in an afternoon driving round the back streets of Gloucester (where there are SPECS cameras in 20 mph zones)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 01:00 
User

I can't remember the last time I looked at my speedo as I know that by looking ahead and seeing any problems unfolding or potential risks I will set myself and the car up to take avoiding action. I have been doing this for years and have no speeding convictions or points or haven't knocked anyone down. I think >20MPH is a dangerously slow speed UNLESS the surrounding conditions demand it (hardly ever).

Note: School near me has new 20 limit imposed, fair enough but before the limit the conditions (buses, parked cars etc) at school in or out time made sure your speed was almost slowed from 30-35 on approach to the school area and any other time 30 was easily a very tight limit as it is quite a quiet road at night and is fenced off to back gardens and has a large wall at the other side + there has never been any accidents I know of in the area, which I would have heard about as I only live behind it.

Andrew

"why upset the status quo"

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 08:17 

andys280176 wrote:
Note: School near me has new 20 limit imposed, fair enough

for 2 hours a day term time but not 25/7

Bring in the American system where you get peek hour speed reductions for schools.

I drive through a village some days. There is a 20 speed limit (I presume because of all the coffin dodgers pestering the council) In order to avoid breaking the speed limit I drive through in first gear....Wakes the old farts up... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 13:38 

Road safety advice from T2000 is like getting contraceptive advice from the Pope... :roll: