All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mind Driving
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 13:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Just received an e-mail from Amazon promoting this new book:

Mind Driving by Stephen Haley

Quote:
Driving is the most dangerous thing that most people do. This book explains how drivers can dramatically reduce the risk. Expert drivers use a lot more than conventional driving skills. The key is not just in what they do but, crucially, how they think. This has always been the most vital part of safe driving, but no one has found a way to explain the mental processes involved. "Mind Driving" explains how expert drivers think. Revealed for the first time are: what really causes danger on the road, how to control the danger, how to make life-saving decisions, and how to enjoy driving and do it safely at the same time. Every driver should read this book. No one involved in driver training or road safety can afford to be without it. True driving ability is still the most neglected element in the effort to reduce road casualties. It is essential that this is changed. This book will do that.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it likely to be any good?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 15:18 
Site Admin

I have adjusted the URL in Peter's post to include the Safe Speed 'associates' id, meaning that we earn a few % if you order the book after clicking the link.

Now for the good news. Steve's book is truly excellent. It will actually help us to drive better as individuals, but it will also help us to get the world changed. It explains driving in terms of a series of mental skills, which of course is exactly what it is. But when it's mental skills not 'speed limit compliance' that REALLY matters you'll soon see how this book will help.

I would be AMAZED if anyone reading this forum didn't NEED a copy of the book. So order yours today.

It launches officially on 19th September and as it happens I'm working on promotional materials, press materials and a review today. You'll see thois stuff as soon as it is ready.

Steve is an occaisonal forum user here under username stevehaley. And you might remember his 'skill driver' project that actually became the book. See: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1706

Also see the web site: http://www.skilldriver.org

And here's the special link that allows us to earn a few percent again:

Order MIND DRIVING from Amazon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 23:04 
User

Yep got it a few weeks ago from the Driving Instructors Association. Definitely worth getting

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 00:09 

Stupid Amazon pricing policy makes it £15.74 with postage.

If they made the price £15 the postage would be free.

They are not getting my money on this untill the change this stupid policy, or reduce the price.

You can get it new for £13.86 with postage in the Amazon market place.

Anyone know of a better deal ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 00:15 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I just added another thing off my wish list to push it over the £15 :D Amazon used to only do free postage on orders over £25 so to me free postage over £15 is an improvement.

Amazon is usually the cheapest but you can try out froogle.
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=M ... ch+Froogle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 00:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Dr L wrote:
You can get it new for £13.86 with postage in the Amazon market place.

Anyone know of a better deal ??

£12.99 post paid on www.play.com

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1133 ... oduct.html

(however currently out of stock)

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 00:34 

PeterE wrote:
£12.99 post paid on www.play.com

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1133 ... oduct.html (however currently out of stock)

Yes just found that out from http://www.123pricecheck.com/

Seem to be quite a lot of options available for under £13, with posting.

I don’t like the current Amazon policy, since they are trying to force you to buy something you don’t want and it always ends up costing more. It is one of the things that turns me off using them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 17:30 
Site Admin

I've written the following review of Steve's book:

Mind Driving by Stephen Haley

A review by Paul Smith Of Safe Speed

Not for publication before 00:01am Sunday 17th September 2006

Do you remember who taught you to drive? You should, because Stephen Haley’s remarkable new book “Mind Driving” reveals the surprising answer – you taught yourself. Stephen explains in simple terms exactly the skills you use every day to stay safe on our roads – and they are not the obvious ‘hands and feet’ skills that your driving instructor taught you. Instead they are complex and subtle self-taught mental processes that we use unconsciously – we look for danger, recognise it and actively control it. Stephen points out that there is no alternative because the driver is the only person ‘on the spot’ and in control of the danger.

Stephen Haley’s unique insight will change everything. By revealing the process of safe driving this book can make you a better driver. But the effects are much further reaching than that. Stephen’s book shows us that road safety isn’t about regulations – it’s about the state of mind of our road users. As such it signposts the way forwards to better road safety policy and safer roads.

One important factor is that Steve has come from outside of the existing road safety and driver training industries. As such he has not been constrained by the fairly pervasive dogma that exists in those places. He hopes to put driver skill back where it belongs – at the heart of road safety. He shows us that road safety is mainly about a state of mind.

We are used to telling ourselves that we understand how to be safe on the roads, that we understand how road safety works and that we are good drivers. We have to. If we didn’t believe, the risks of driving would be too big to contemplate. But Mind Driving elevates understanding of these issues to a new plane. You’ll be amazed at what you didn’t know.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It’s well written and plainly understandable. It contains so many new ideas that there is bound to be something of value to everyone from novice to expert and from learner driver to professional. But that’s just the start – this book is all set to change the world. It provides new perspectives on issues of road safety in a way that must inform policy.

Reading the book will bring you into closer contact with the person who really taught you to drive: yourself. And that, it turns out, is a very good thing indeed.

<ends>

Amazon link to book

Safe Speed page: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/minddriving.html
(just has associated images so far.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 20:31 
Supporter
Supporter

Rhiannon wrote:
Yep got it a few weeks ago from the Driving Instructors Association. Definitely worth getting

:)

Got Mine too, just have to read It now :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 18:45 
Site Admin

SafeSpeed wrote:
And here's the special link that allows us to earn a few percent again:

Order MIND DRIVING from Amazon

I see that Amazon are offering a 34% discount (£12.99 > £8.57) presently making Steve's excellent book a total bargain as well as a necessity for anyone interested in driving or road safety.

Have you got your copy yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 19:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
Have you got your copy yet?

YES! My copy was a Christmas pressie (although I ordered it from Amazon and then gave it to my mum to give me).

Pearls of wisdom on every page!

Don't hesitate.........get it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 20:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've been meaning to get a copy and kept failing, now ordered from amazon via safespeed link.

I'm looking forward to this and I'm hoping my wife will have a read.

Upton Sinclair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 21:32 
User

Also got a copy for Christmas via Amazon.

Could not agree more it's a dam good read. I would even go so far as to say I prefer it to Roadcraft [That will start a debate won't it?]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 08:38 
User

Ist an excellent book! Und well worth a read. :yesyes:

I note IG recommend it somewhere on here too ...

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!