Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 04:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 01:09 

Can't believe this!

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewa ... ?id=432198

They've presided over a DISASTEROUS year and they're looking for a pat on the back!!!!

Words fail me!

I think I'm going to have to write this time!!!!!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 01:19 
User

I'll admit, that is a pretty crap story. Doesn't CN research (or whoever they are) own the paper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:04 
User

It's unbelieveable.
Fatals are up - not just a bit, but very significantly - and the Cumbria Silly Camera Pratnership are claiming some sort of success for their activities.
Absolutely typical of the spin, lies and obfuscation emanating from Callaghan and his lickspittles. One might guess it's part of the 'job preservation' in which they engage at all times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:50 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Crikey, where do I start?

I'm very tempted to write to the clearly biased author but I usually get ignored :grumpy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 15:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

it is a george orwell double think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 23:37 
User

You can email a letter to the News and Star. Somebody needs to question the fact that they spouted the press release without offering up at least the hint of an investigation into the facts.

Here is my effort...
Quote:
Dear Sirs.
I really do not know how Cumbria "Safety" Camera Partnership has the gall to claim any sort of credit for the reduction in serious injuries, while fatal accidents continue to remain high - proving that they remain ineffective at addressing the real causes of accidents.
For Kevin Tea to then go on to contrast the affect of long term care of victims who survive, and the affect to the NHS, against the grief and shock caused by the loss of a relative, is crass and insensitive! He appears to be suggesting that long term care is more lasting and disturbing than a death, and therefore reducing such injuries is more worthwhile!

The truth is that as time passes, we are seeing less and less older cars, which don't have any of the raft of in car safety measures - such as seatbelt tensioners, air bags, side airbags and impact protection. Look around any carpark, and you will see the number of vehicles fitted with at least one of these safety features is much higher than 4-5 years ago. These are very worthwhile safety features, which would not be fitted unless the manufacturers felt the expense was justified. When in a few accidents, the closing speed is high enough, these features are stretched to the limit, and the catastrophic failure which eventually results inevitably leads to an injury likely to be fatal.

Mr Tea also provides evidence of measures which are more effective than speed cameras at preventing accidents... and has the cheek to include an agency whose only device is the SPEED camera. “We try to target several areas including mobile phones, seatbelts and speed awareness training." and yet the CSCP continue to pointlessly persecute drivers whose affect on the safety of our roads is limited to just 5% of accidents (DfT figures!) with... SPEED cameras, which are NOT safety devices!

Finally, I have to question the accuracy and worth of the market research, which has 66% of respondents agreeing to a questionable statistic - "Fewer accidents happen on roads where cameras are installed" which is the result of cameras being placed where there have been accidents. For instance had a planned camera been placed at Plumpton before the dreadful crash there, it would not have prevented the unfortunate accident from occurring, because as I understand it, the driver was inexperienced, but NOT exceeding the legal speed limit! If a camera was to be placed there now, then Mr Tea could claim that his activities were responsible for preventing further accidents from occurring when this would clearly not be the case! It is called "Return to the Mean" (RTTM) and is akin to claiming that providing more lifeboats prevented further loss of life off Newfoundland from large ocean liners striking icebergs, when clearly the Titanic disaster was a one off event not repeated!

82% of respondents agreed (i.e. did not arrive at that conclusion by themselves) that "safety" cameras should be supported as a method of reducing casualties.Yet DfT figures show illegal speeding is only responsible for 5% of accidents, while speed cameras have seen a 21% fall in traffic police numbers, a fall in prosecutions for Dangerous Driving of 7.4% and prosecutions for Careless Driving halved!! This too should have been brought to the attention of the survey participants.
Worst of all, if the grim reaper himself drove past a camera in excess of the speed limit, HE WOULD NOT BE STOPPED, but allowed to continue on his way, with only a reminder in the post a few days later to remind him!

It all adds up to Fleecing, not Policing, and Mr Tea will be duty bound to defend his well paid job and pension, with statistics (plucked at will by a full time statistition) to bamboozle the public into thinking they are effective!

FIFTYTWO victims have died already this year, MORE than died in 2001, or 2002, before we had SPEED cameras run by the "SAFETY" CAMERA Partnership!

E. Marsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 23:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Good effort. I'll be interested to know their response - if any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 09:19 
User

It needs a letter asking "Why the normally accurate and impartial reporting by the N & S was delegated to a safety camer partnership yes man (woman)"

That usually would draw a response.
It IS correct that CN Research IS the same company which owns the N & S - it stands for Cumbria Newspapers.

Look up the manner in which the survey was conducted on the CSCP website!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 22:45 
User

Hot on the heels of the story was this today.... :oops:
Quote:
Driver, 17, dies in tractor crash
A 17-year-old driver has died and his 16-year-old passenger is badly hurt after the car they were travelling in collided with a tractor in Cumbria.

The crash happened on the A686 between Langwathby and Edenhall at Penrith on Friday afternoon.

Police said the two men were travelling in a Fiat Punto. The male driver of the tractor was "shocked" but uninjured.

The road was closed for several hours and traffic was diverted through Edenhall Village, Cumbria Police said.

So that makes 53 people dead SO FAR this year, while CSCP rake in lots of cash and claim they are doing OK, because the serious injury figures look OK. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 23:03 

I don't understand how fatalities can be going up but at the same time serious injuries going down; it doesn't make sense.

Logic would suggest that fatal accients should correlate with serious accidents and there should be quite a strong relationship between the two, if one goes up the other should too.

The only thing that could explain the rise in fatals and fall in serious accidents could be that crashes are being misrecorded as minor ones; this is a logical explaination given the subjectivity of the situation and the recent BMJ report which supports the no change situation in hospital admissions.

I smell a rat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 23:24 

When i've pointed out to my local speed camera partnership that accidents are going up in the region, they are the first to point out that their cameras only cover a tiny percentage of roads in the region and that they are therefore, not responsible for the county wide increases in accidents that have occured since their conception.

However they are the first to take the credit if there is a county wide fall. And in this situation they take credit for the fall! (even on the road that their cameras aren't on!)

Double standards!

When there's a rise its nothing to do with them, and they wash their hands clean. When accidents drop its because of their actions and they take all the credit and its because of the cameras!!!

What really gets up my nose is their attept to masquerade as a road safety organisation with patronising, misleading radio ads, despite the overwelming evidence to the contrary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 23:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

T2006 wrote:
I don't understand how fatalities can be going up but at the same time serious injuries going down; it doesn't make sense.

Logic would suggest that fatal accients should correlate with serious accidents and there should be quite a strong relationship between the two, if one goes up the other should too.

The only thing that could explain the rise in fatals and fall in serious accidents could be that crashes are being misrecorded as minor ones; this is a logical explaination given the subjectivity of the situation and the recent BMJ report which supports the no change situation in hospital admissions.

I smell a rat.

I agree, they can’t hide fatalities but they can play around with SI’s maybe that’s why they don’t separate them any longer in the stats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 00:21 
User

There is likely to be a whole variety of circumstances which lead to SI's falling, while fatals rise or remain static.

Firstly, all the figures rise and fall for NO reason other than chance, but this affects only a small number of events.

However if you check out this:
Quote:
The truth is that as time passes, we are seeing less and less older cars, which don't have any of the raft of in car safety measures - such as seatbelt tensioners, air bags, side airbags and impact protection. Look around any carpark, and you will see the number of vehicles fitted with at least one of these safety features is much higher than 4-5 years ago. These are very worthwhile safety features, which would not be fitted unless the manufacturers felt the expense was justified. When in a few accidents, the closing speed is high enough, these features are stretched to the limit, and the catastrophic failure which eventually results inevitably leads to an injury likely to be fatal.

I put this to the test in the yard where I work.
The oldest car was an N reg Mondeo - I cannot be certain, but P regd. Mondeos have driver airbags.
An airbag is only good for impacts up to a certain level - after that, you take your life in your hands, and many just dont make it.
Couple that to the fluctuating SI definition, and you will begin to get a picture forming... I hope!

I'm just glad the story was in the News and Star and not the Daily Mail!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:37 

Ok, well that makes more sense then. :)

One thing we can be sure of though, is its not due to their cameras!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:46 
User

T2006 wrote:
Ok, well that makes more sense then. :)

One thing we can be sure of though, is its not due to their cameras!

Surely, they are not!
See my topic on their latest statistical twisting turny effort! :oops:

Somebody is getting PAID to manipulate those stats in such a manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Somebody is getting PAID to manipulate those stats in such a manner.

:yesyes:

"Data Management and analysis"
"Partnership communications"

:scratchchin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:16 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Yeah, Big Business :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 14:03 
User

No wonder they don't want the gravy train to come to a halt!! :x

Callaghan claims he does not need the job... perhaps he should volunteer to do it for free. In fact, perhaps he is MPaton.... No no, on second thoughts it takes brains and real skill to fly an aeroplane well enough to do it for a living! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 14:57 
User

Actually it doesn't, at ~500' QNH it's autopilot all the way baby! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 20:25 

This is one that I've never been able to get my head round. It's always been like this even when CSCP still had a forum. "K"s have always remained static and "SI"s have come down. I take the point about categorisations of "SI" and I'm sure this will have a lot to do with it. Correct me if I'm wrong Ernest (or anyone who remembers the CSCP forum) but I think the Speedfinder General himself told us that an "SI" was any injury that involed any broken bone OR one or more nights stay in hospital.

Now if that's true, it is absolutely CERTAIN that people are more likely to be discharged these days than kept in for observation. That's just the way the NHS is going. Obviously, this will bring "SIs" down all by itself - cameras or no cameras!

On the "broken bone" issue, I was amazed when he then also told us (if I recall correctly!) that the categorisation of "SI" or "minor" was carried out by the coppers attending the scene. Now I simply couldn't believe that!!!!! How on EARTH are trafic cops supposed to assess injury severity with no particular medical training AND no equipment????

These two factors both made me feel that the whole "SI" business was a complete load of cobblers that could be manipulated to suit whatever purpose pretty much at will!

All that said, I'd have expected the advances in vehicle technology to simply turn some "K"s into "SI"s and some "SI"s into "Slight"s. So I'd have thought that we'd see a reduction across the board....

One thought is that all the safety features (and increased performance) combine to make people feel invincible and, as Ernest says, there comes a point when nothing is going to save you.

Another is that as everyone is just short of time these days and full of adrenalin (and testosterone in many cases!) they just take more risks and drive more aggressively. Maybe??? I certainly see my fair share of lunatic overtakes between my house and Carlisle!

Either way, it's still a puzzle!