Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ings Cameras get TLC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 09:42 
User

Following their make over early this year, the cameras are still receiving regular TLC!
Extra height being added to the poles early this year.

The maintenance van was there yet again this morning, but the man was reluctant to have his picture taken!
He did remember me though, and asked if the pictures I took this morning would be put up on the website! 8-)

I guess they have to keep testing them to ensure that that they have not suffered from all the recent wet weather... after all electronics and damp don't go well together.
Funnily though, I didn't see a can of WD-40! :D

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 22:31 
User

Oh dear, kevins nice new shiney sexy cameras look very vulnerable there.
I do hope someone with a big truck dosent run them over......
Thatd make a dent in his budget. :wink:

Believe nothing- Question everything.

Post subject: Re: Ings Cameras get TLC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 00:18 

Ernest Marsh wrote:

That looks like a safe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 03:31 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

It looks lovely and flat there apart from the camera mast. I doubt you'll have to wait too long before it dies of natural causes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 01:33 
User

For the benefit of the CSCP who claim they dont keep records of when or why the cameras are visited, they were there on Wednesday.
As you can see, there were two vans there from Kidderminster!
I hope that's not a sign that something is seriously amiss!

I'm told that one of the staff at the Watermill was questioned after graffiti was sprayed on.
Apparently he does not like speed cameras.... I cant think why! :wink:
However I am giving him an engraved glass with which to drown his sorrows!!! :drink2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 22:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
DeltaF wrote:

Trouble is that with all the shiny nice electronics, extra height above ground, the thing still needs POWER. Not that I'm suggesting anything nasty,you understand. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 01:08 
User

botach wrote:
DeltaF wrote:

Trouble is that with all the shiny nice electronics, extra height above ground, the thing still needs POWER. Not that I'm suggesting anything nasty,you understand. :roll:

At that height, maybe they should consider putting a wind turbine on the top! :lol:
Oh, that might be distracting to passing drivers... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 01:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Now if those are the highest points around - do you get much lightening there Ernest ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 01:55 
User

botach wrote:
Now if those are the highest points around - do you get much lightening there Ernest ??

That's what Roger was alluding to! :)
Lightning wont do them much harm - they are more at risk from disgruntled motorists.
They are said to be tamper proof, but if the time it took the police to get to the scene of an overturned car one night was anything to go by, I dont think it would put anybody off from having a go!

Plus, if some police were dispatched to check on a speed camera being vandalised, I am sure they would take their time while they checked on the progress of their pay claim! :roll:
The South Yorkshire policeman who waved to the camera with both hands clearly would not be bothered if they were attacked.

Maybe he should study law at Sheffield university, and he would learn the error of his ways :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 16:12 
User

Thursday 28th February - the cameras were once more receiving tender loving care - which I stopped to record for the benefit of CSCP who dont keep records of when or why the cameras are being visited.
The Redspeed employee working on the control box knew me by name... so obviously somebody appreciates my attempt to create a proper record of visits!
He did however express concern that my posting pictures up might make them a target for abuse or worse, even down to the possibility of vindictive members of the public knowing the registration numbers of the vehicles they rent leading to trouble. :shock:

He said that pictures posted here clearly identified vehicle numbers, and personnel, and showed the inside of a control box.

I'm disappointed! I had thought that they actually visited here to look at my pictures, but clearly they dont. None of the vehicle numbers are visible, and only one employee might possibly be recognised - either that or they ARE looking at a different site with pictures on!! :cry:

Anyway, just in case you missed the absolute irony of it - they dont want YOU taking pictures of THEM setting up equipment to photograph YOU, and you then have to identify the driver or face the consequences in court!

Here is the latest visit preserved on these pages just in case CSCP need to know when the cameras were visited.

Watch out if you drive a white Vauxhall van with reflective chevrons on the rear doors - you might get mistaken for a Redspeed operative!
Funnily enough on my way home on Monday night, I was third in a short queue of vehicles passing the camera, and the car in front of me, a dark blue Seat Ibiza got flashed, but not me, or the Landrover in front!
I do hope they didn't get a ticket, because they WERE driving at 40 mph. I have an index number written down, but little way of informing the driver that I am a witness if he did get flashed.
Mind you it is cheaper to pay the fixed penalty than go to court to defend yourself and get shafted by inept magistrates who believe every thing they are told about the cameras by the CSCP!
The CPS even warn you that you will lose and have to pay the costs of bringing witnesses to court even before the magistrates get to hear the evidence!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 18:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ernest Marsh wrote:
because they WERE driving at 40 mph.

Maybe that's why the cameras are receiving so much attention, because they know they don't function properly. Oh sorry they've got their certificates to prove they're OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 22:06 

They shouldn't be working off ladders.

Oh the irony, the company that provides 'safety cameras' displaying willfull disregard for the safety of their employees.

I'm calling the HSE, the photos are a great record and demonstate a continued systematic failure.

Big fine coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 22:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

civil engineer wrote:
They shouldn't be working off ladders.

Oh the irony, the company that provides 'safety cameras' displaying willfull disregard for the safety of their employees.

I'm calling the HSE, the photos are a great record and demonstrate a continued systematic failure.

Big fine coming.

Quite right ,CE - and since the removal of the height condition - where's the harness.(Although there doesn't seem to be any fixing point ---another failure in their safety policy ).

And work site precautions - conning of the work area -
And no safety helmet worn - the list goes on -

But then , as the SCP say - camera sites are KNOWN to be safe places :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 02:26 
User

CE you need to have HSE enquire into their previous H&S history - they were removed off the M5 for breaching H&S rules, just after somebody from another company was killed at the same site.

I'll send you the details by PM.

Make sure you have them check and verify any signatures on documents! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 07:37 
Life Member
Life Member

Is that ladder tied at the top or is that a BUNGIE! :o

I also thought that under the New Roads and Street Works Act that you needed a dead zone between the working area and the traffic.

What is the speed limit there?

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:05 

Ernest Marsh wrote:
I have an index number written down, but little way of informing the driver that I am a witness if he did get flashed.

Don't forget that the DVLA will supply the driver's details for £2.50, as long as you tell them that you're requesting the details on behalf of a bunch of lowlife parasites (although both the parasites and the DVLA seem to prefer the term "parking management company", in true turd-polishing fashion).

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 00:58 
User

anton wrote:
Is that ladder tied at the top or is that a BUNGIE! :o

I also thought that under the New Roads and Street Works Act that you needed a dead zone between the working area and the traffic.

What is the speed limit there?

Yep. I have had a look at the original, and it IS a bungee elastic! :shock: :lol:
Chances are he climbed the ladder to wrap it around too!
From the way he is wielding those crimpers it looks like it's a Rolls Royce job of work too! A very delicate operation to secure the connection. :D

You just can't get the staff nowadays! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 07:57 
Life Member
Life Member

When climbing telegraph poles we tied the bottom of the ladder with A ROPE .
we then tied the top with A ROPE.
And then belted up with a harness made by a parachute company.
a hat was compulsory as was street works guarding and licensing to work on the highway.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 14:52 

anton wrote:
When climbing telegraph poles we tied the bottom of the ladder with A ROPE .
we then tied the top with A ROPE.

I've always wondered about that... How do you tie a rope to the top of a ladder without first climbing up it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 16:00 
Life Member
Life Member

If you tie the ladder at around 4-5 feet wraping 1.5 times round the pole it stops it wobbling and tipping when you climb. It also stops the base sliding out on loose surfaces and shiney surfaces.

I would rather climb a pole than put a ladder against a building. Ladders don't slip if you can get the foot to dig in the grass. Also if you can stick rigidly to 4:1 slope angle.