Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 20mph signs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 21:34 
User

Hi, had to go through Cumbria today and travelled from Ambleside towards Coniston. Any way are the 20mph signs used in same set up as 30mph rondels etc legally enforceable or is this a bluff. Soon be needing the flag man aagin if so. :?:

Not seen this done before, have only seen the 20mph zones.

Thanks to any one who replies.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 22:38 
User

I live in Windermere, and have to pass through to my doctors in Ambleside.
I used to slow down religiously, but now I just go with the flow.
I have seen a police van doing the same on two occasions now, and the local council was not keen on the limit either.

They have just started a row over a new cycle route foisted on them by the County Council. I suspect it will lead to more protests - Coniston Parish Council are already refusing to vet planning applications in a row with the Special Planning Board, by just passing ALL applications with a "no comment".
What did you think of our marvelous cycle lanes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 04:01 
User

What a nice journey it's going to be with these new changes at Banneriggs.

There will be nowhere to overtake a tractor between Ambleside & Plantation Bridge.

I wonder if our esteemed leaders have thought that this will only increase frustration, which may manifest itself in risk taking. It certainly won't stop the boy racers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 22:44 
User

I liked the nice green colour to match the relaxed nature of the countryside :). Where I live they are red for anger.

Tickled me that there was one on both sides of the road and they were so narrow I would not feel safe riding down one, plus it then left the road too narrow to let two cars pass without moving into the cycle lane and if lorries want to pass each other well they would hit each other in the middle.

I believe many years ago there used to be a grant from central govt to setup cycle lanes is Cumbria only just using theirs up now?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 08:47 
User

Peter H wrote:
What a nice journey it's going to be with these new changes at Banneriggs.

There will be nowhere to overtake a tractor between Ambleside & Plantation Bridge.

I wonder if our esteemed leaders have thought that this will only increase frustration, which may manifest itself in risk taking. It certainly won't stop the boy racers.

Actually you CAN pass a tractor the other side of Bannerigg if it is safe to do so, because the centre hatching is bordered by a BROKEN line.
I have found at night, MOST traffic is moving freely - but the odd few drivers seem to think it necessary to slow to little above 30 mph... in fact their driving style is like that of a lost sheep!

Last night, a car in front of me travelling towards Windermere at 40 mph, encountered the bend where the car is in the field, and braked heavily down to 25 mph.
I cannot imagine why he thought it necessary, or even how he managed to pass his test driving in the manner he was. :oops: