Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 06:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:47 
New User
New User

Hello Folks.
Taken me a while, due to my own incompetance, to get onto here.
Cooperman, I share your worries about the current anti terro legislation.
My own worry is that once all this is up and running and then there is a terrorist incident, the governments answer will be to introduce even more draconian measures.
A simple risk assesment of the actual threat to the individual in this country puts it as vanishingly small and certainly not worth giving up any freedoms for. Put in perspective, the terror threat is not even scary, let alone terrifying.

Black Cloud

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:53 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
It seems not everybody is onboard the speed camera gravy boat!
This report from 2003 highlights some differences of opinion!
http://www.thisisthelakedistrict.co.uk/archive/display.var.294156.0.slow_take_up_for_pilot_speed_gun_trials.php

Quote:
Since Arnside Parish Council raised the idea with police, the seaside village was set to trial Community Speed Watch and the idea was put to residents at their annual parish meeting last Thursday.

Ian Stewart, Arnside's councillor on Cumbria County Council and South Lakeland District Council, spoke up for the idea but many residents were unconvinced. Brian Walker argued the system could harm neighbourly relations while others maintained that in most places along the village's windy roads it was difficult to drive as fast as the 30mph speed limit. Motorists going below 30mph but driving recklessly around blind corners were the menace.

Quote:
At Lakes Parish Council this week, Sgt Neil Allison was asked about the idea.

He told members: "The problem with arming people with speed radar guns is that the people using them have to realise that people are going to stop and take issue with it, and if you are not prepared for that, it will come as a shock.

"I feel we will be forever going to the aid of people using them because the general public do not accept it."

Sgt Allison added he did not think the Lakes area had such a problem with breaking speed limits but some drove at a pace inappropriate to the area.

Well at least Sgt. Allison had his head screwed on! Does he still have his job I wonder?

Is Neil Allison one of your buddies, Ian? He seems to be another who can see that bad and inappropriate driving is the cause of accidents.
Could you encourage him to join us on here if he is a friend of yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 13:22 
Police Officer and Member

Cooperman wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
http://www.thisisthelakedistrict.co.uk/archive/display.var.294156.0.slow_take_up_for_pilot_speed_gun_trials.php

Quote:
Since Arnside Parish Council raised the idea with police, the seaside village was set to trial Community Speed Watch and the idea was put to residents at their annual parish meeting last Thursday.

Ian Stewart, Arnside's councillor on Cumbria County Council and South Lakeland District Council, spoke up for the idea but many residents were unconvinced. Brian Walker argued the system could harm neighbourly relations while others maintained that in most places along the village's windy roads it was difficult to drive as fast as the 30mph speed limit. Motorists going below 30mph but driving recklessly around blind corners were the menace.

Quote:

He told members: "The problem with arming people with speed radar guns is that the people using them have to realise that people are going to stop and take issue with it, and if you are not prepared for that, it will come as a shock.

"I feel we will be forever going to the aid of people using them because the general public do not accept it."

Sgt Allison added he did not think the Lakes area had such a problem with breaking speed limits but some drove at a pace inappropriate to the area.

Well at least Sgt. Allison had his head screwed on! Does he still have his job I wonder?

Is Neil Allison one of your buddies, Ian? He seems to be another who can see that bad and inappropriate driving is the cause of accidents.

Yep, I know Neil well. He's pretty switched on, and doesn't always toe the line, which is something I like about him.

He's right about the lakes, Cooperman. If you have visited you'll know that they are almost all NSL apart from the villages. Inappropriate speed figures much more here than exceeding the limit, except where it has been seen fit to apply a speed limit, usually in places where inappropriate speed had affected vulnerable road users, eg Ings, Ambleside and Grasmere approaches, Crook Road. A591 Low Wood bends, along with the larger towns and villages.
Neil's ex traffic, and IIRC he did want to get back on the dept as a sergeant - (not sure about his direction now). I work opposite shifts to him and don't see him often, but I'll chat to him about his 'appearance' on this site. He may have a few things to say :wink: .

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 15:35 
User

IanH wrote:
Cooperman wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, I know Neil well. He's pretty switched on, and doesn't always toe the line, which is something I like about him.

He's right about the lakes, Cooperman. If you have visited you'll know that they are almost all NSL apart from the villages. Inappropriate speed figures much more here than exceeding the limit, except where it has been seen fit to apply a speed limit, usually in places where inappropriate speed had affected vulnerable road users, eg Ings, Ambleside and Grasmere approaches, Crook Road. A591 Low Wood bends, along with the larger towns and villages.
Neil's ex traffic, and IIRC he did want to get back on the dept as a sergeant - (not sure about his direction now). I work opposite shifts to him and don't see him often, but I'll chat to him about his 'appearance' on this site. He may have a few things to say :wink: .

Yes, I'm a fairly regular visitor to the Lakes, the last time being as a competitor on the recent RAC Revival Rally in November in one of my Mini Coopers.
You are quite right about the main problem being inappropriate speed, although I usually refer to it as inappropriate driving, as it's more all-encompassing. In fact, most of the limits up there seem reasonable, although I do feel it is somewhat incongruous to put cameras on the M6 set at 79 mph. A guy I know who is an officer in the Met was 'pinged' at 81 mph on the M6 on a dry afternoon last year. He was incensed as he had never had an accident and is a trained Met driver (the old Clas 1). Is he likely to cause an accident? One might think not. Victim of the cash-cameras, of course.
It's certainly a beautiful part of the country in which to live. There is one demanding road I really love to drive at night and thats the Hardnott/Wrynose Pass. To be required to average 30 mph over there at night and in the wet is a true test of skill, nerve and ability.

Have a good weekend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cometh the revolution, Gentlemen, cometh the revolution........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:06 
User

JJ wrote:
You complain that its all about Speed cameras and that we can do nothing else However we work closely with the ANPR organisation providing them with sites to operate from.

Our organisation can not directly target other offences but by working in cooporation within the police and other departments we do play our part.

:?

Eh? The 'sites' would exist whether you were around or not. This is the weakest justification of your scameraship I have ever heard JJ/Steve (whichever of you is using the account today..)

The land isn't yours. The link between their work and yours is tenuous at best.

Is this another attempt to gain credit for doing bugger all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 13:11 
User

JJ wrote:
You complain that its all about Speed cameras and that we can do nothing else However we work closely with the ANPR organisation providing them with sites to operate from.

Our organisation can not directly target other offences but by working in cooporation within the police and other departments we do play our part.

We used to have drug dealers living accross the road from us.
If the ANPR boys want to come and check some of the vehicles which occassionally visit our street looking for them, I would be more than happy to provide a site for them.
I can also give them a list of laybys on busy roads, some with catering caravans close by so they dont go hungry.
I had no idea it was that simple to help in the war on crime! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 13:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ernest Marsh wrote:
We used to have drug dealers living accross the road from us. If the ANPR boys want to come and check some of the vehicles which occassionally visit our street looking for them, I would be more than happy to provide a site for them.

It did occur to me that the Cumbria ANPR team might be better employed in some of the rougher parts of Barrow or Carlisle rather than on a rural trunk road like the A590.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 13:46 
User

PeterE wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
We used to have drug dealers living accross the road from us. If the ANPR boys want to come and check some of the vehicles which occassionally visit our street looking for them, I would be more than happy to provide a site for them.

It did occur to me that the Cumbria ANPR team might be better employed in some of the rougher parts of Barrow or Carlisle rather than on a rural trunk road like the A590.

I have no worries about the A590 - it is the main route to Barrow, and Barrow has a problem with drugs coming into Barrow from Merseyside which undoubtedly use this route.
When the Bank in Windermere was targeted by thugs, who fired a Kalashnikov into the ceiling, the getaway vehicle was found burnt out just off the A590 :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 14:17 

Cooperman wrote:
It's certainly a beautiful part of the country in which to live. There is one demanding road I really love to drive at night and thats the Hardnott/Wrynose Pass. To be required to average 30 mph over there at night and in the wet is a true test of skill, nerve and ability.

Have a good weekend

It is gorgeous isn't it, and demanding like you say.

Took a trip up there only last weekend, took a snap or two for posterity.

Nice to see there are some places which will always retain their unspoilt charms!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 14:29 
Life Member
Life Member

IanH wrote:
Nice to see there are some places which will always retain their unspoilt charms!

Oh, the irony...

Nice one, Ian :lol:

Cheers
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 14:45 
Site Admin

IanH wrote:

Except for the totally unnecessary speed limit and the totally pointless speed camera warning signs of course. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 14:50 

Erm... I think you'll find they're (badly) Photoshopped on there Paul, that was kind of the joke! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 15:07 
Site Admin

CarlP wrote:
Erm... I think you'll find they're (badly) Photoshopped on there Paul, that was kind of the joke! :p

Oh, EXCELLENT! Ian, you got me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 15:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Did you also miss the rather well photoshopped camera on the opposite carriageway at about the same place, Paul? Observation 6/10.. must try harder :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 15:20 
Site Admin

Roger wrote:
Did you also miss the rather well photoshopped camera on the opposite carriageway at about the same place, Paul? Observation 6/10.. must try harder :wink:

Nope. I even zoomed in on it and thought: "Another poxy lazy and careless council that puts in passing place signs as squares instead of the proper diamonds".

I never sussed it as a camera until you menioned it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 15:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeed wrote:
Nope. I even zoomed in on it and thought: "Another poxy lazy and careless council that puts in passing place signs as squares instead of the proper diamonds".

The official passing place sign was changed from a diamond to a square in 1994, although many diamonds still remain.

The reason was apparently to avoid confusion with tramway signs :|

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 18:01 
Site Admin

PeterE wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:

The official passing place sign was changed from a diamond to a square in 1994, although many diamonds still remain.

The reason was apparently to avoid confusion with tramway signs :|

Is that right? I didn't know that. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 18:04 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

SafeSpeed wrote:
CarlP wrote:

Did you honestly believe we would put a mobile camera there. come on Paul be serious!

Mind you a lot of tourists use that route... :wink: Only kidding!

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 19:02 
Site Admin

JJ wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
CarlP wrote:

Did you honestly believe we would put a mobile camera there. come on Paul be serious!

The sad truth is, pal, that you lot do so many stupid things that very little would now come as a surprise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next