The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 08:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 19:10 
Police Officer and Member
Police Officer and Member

kendalian wrote:
Sadly CSCP still appears to be in business - 2 more fixed digital scams have just been installed in Barrow.

A double fatal crash yesterday, another "serious" today... - neither of which CSCP could have prevented, you'll understand... :evil:

Attended both as FLO (Family Liaison Officer). First one was tragic.

Second could have been much worse......... I was asked to attend a report of a 12 year old child who had both legs crushed by an HGV in Carlisle. Witnesses said she had gone under the wheels. I was told the HGV dragged her for 50 yards, only stopping because he heard her screaming. When I got there the kid was in hospital. The OIC told me the paramedics said it's serious. He said touch and go.
So I braced myself to tell the parents. But they had already found out and were en route to CIC. I went to meet them there, but Carlisle was gridlock. It took me over half an hour to get to the hospital. On arrival I went straight to A&E where I knew the ward sister. I said, are the parents here. She said "No, they've taken her home" I said "No, were obviously talking cross purposes, the little lass who was crushed by the HGV, has she gone to a ward? She said, No, her mother has come and taken her home, she had cuts and bruises, nothing more."

The emotional relief I felt must have been as nothing compared to that experienced by her parents!!

Ian

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 22:34 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Barrows new Scams

The page won't copy for some reason.

Perhaps CSCP don't want it publicised :wink:

But they have pointed out that there were 2KSI's in 2001 and 2 more in 2003 on Salthouse rd.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 22:56 

It was a tricky one to copy but here it is...

Quote:
First speed cameras installed in barrow
Published on 14/03/2005

THE first permanent Barrow speed cameras have been installed on both sides of Salthouse Road.

The cameras have not yet been activated. That is expected to happen in the next two or three weeks.

But the devices, worth £45,000 each, already appear to be slowing down drivers. Cars approaching them have been spotted with their brake lights on.

Fixed cameras are welcome news for safety campaigners but speeding motorists face points on their licence and a hefty fine.

The penalties have led some drivers to believe the cameras are sited as “revenue earners”.

It is also argued that most accidents on Salthouse Road are caused when a lorry or high load hits the railway bridge.

Cumbria Road Casualty Reduction Partnership — responsible for the cameras — point out there were two people killed or seriously injured on Salthouse Road in 2001 and two more in 2003.

Yes I'm a hoon, but only on the track!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 23:32 
User

IanH wrote:
kendalian wrote:
Sadly CSCP still appears to be in business - 2 more fixed digital scams have just been installed in Barrow.

A double fatal crash yesterday, another "serious" today... - neither of which CSCP could have prevented, you'll understand... :evil:

Attended both as FLO (Family Liaison Officer). First one was tragic.

Second could have been much worse......... I was asked to attend a report of a 12 year old child who had both legs crushed by an HGV in Carlisle. Witnesses said she had gone under the wheels. I was told the HGV dragged her for 50 yards, only stopping because he heard her screaming. When I got there the kid was in hospital. The OIC told me the paramedics said it's serious. He said touch and go.
So I braced myself to tell the parents. But they had already found out and were en route to CIC. I went to meet them there, but Carlisle was gridlock. It took me over half an hour to get to the hospital. On arrival I went straight to A&E where I knew the ward sister. I said, are the parents here. She said "No, they've taken her home" I said "No, were obviously talking cross purposes, the little lass who was crushed by the HGV, has she gone to a ward? She said, No, her mother has come and taken her home, she had cuts and bruises, nothing more."

The emotional relief I felt must have been as nothing compared to that experienced by her parents!!

The BBC report online says 13 year old and accident happened Monday afternoon!! Dont know who gave the info. but the emotion of the drama had obviously got to them too!
It gave the girl's full name too - surprising after the debacle in the Gazette this week regarding photographing a Schools music festival :shock:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4346851.stm
edited to add above link.