Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 00:21 

Just thought it was high time we had a post on here so...

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/car_u ... rPath=news

"...Police said the chase got underway after 10pm when a “suspicious looking” Ford Focus failed to stop when officers at Eamont Bridge tried to pull it over. A force spokeswoman said: “Police pursued the vehicle and several attempts were made to ram the police vehicle off the road.
“The Ford Focus eventually stopped. A 33-year-old man from Cheshire was arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle.”
The Focus then sped off towards Howtown, said police. The second chase got underway and a bid was made again to ram the patrol car off the road. The stinger was used to stop the car and police said a suspect was then spotted fleeing, closely pursued by officers with a police dog...."

Dunno why they didn't just take its picture and send the regsitered keeper a bill for £60 and some points myself. - FAR more effective!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 23:52 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Now ,that's really ruined my impression of the Nort West .I always thought it was a friendly place ,especially for travellers ,since seeing this

Or was that left over from the previous administration :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 23:39 

Funny you should post that!" Someone I used to work with sent me the same photo a while back and asked "surely it can't be true"? I therefore made a point of looking last time I went there and although I didn't check EVERY sign, I couldn't find any that said that. They said something to the same effect but better worded. Something like "Keep back from the paltform edge as pasing trains may cause turbulence" Or somesuch! The photk background certainly looks like Penrith station though!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 00:42 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Dunno about the sign, but I can comment about what was on it.

I've just gone and checked an episode of Mythbusters where they actually tested just this.

The passing train "... generated enough wind to make a typical guy stumble, but it's all blowing straight out or parallel to the track. It looks like the turbulence moving with the train and away from the track trumps any wake effect there may be following the train.

...but there was no sign of any suction. The winds blasting outwards and sideways were far stronger than any vortex that may have been created behind
"

Busted!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 01:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve wrote:
Dunno about the sign, but I can comment about what was on it.

I've just gone and checked an episode of Mythbusters where they actually tested just this.

The passing train "... generated enough wind to make a typical guy stumble, but it's all blowing straight out or parallel to the track. It looks like the turbulence moving with the train and away from the track trumps any wake effect there may be following the train.

...but there was no sign of any suction. The winds blasting outwards and sideways were far stronger than any vortex that may have been created behind
"

Busted!

Steve - spent about ten years on track - but it's about the wording - :D :D :D

Can SOMEONE PUSH STEVE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I did get it ;) I thought I would do my geek thing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 21:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve wrote:
I did get it ;) I thought I would do my geek thing!

:D :D

The effect on track was that described ,you get pushed away ,sometimes ( esp around 125) quite violently ,and that's at the recommended mimimum distance of 6'6" ( old rail hands don't measure in metric :) )- but in the sort of enclosed spaces on stations that could change .Never tried getting any closer ,but the yellow lines on platforms is 4' (from the edge)-so it limits the maximum speed through stations to 100- aparently one reason for remodeling some stations to move the high speed through lines at distance from the platform area .