Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Outbreak of fatalities
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:05 
User

Some unfortunate accidents this week in Cumbria, resulting in loss of life.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/8650730.stm
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/tributes-to-carlisle-pensioner-who-died-after-crash-1.700457?referrerPath=home
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/8652441.stm

A statistical blip in what had been a good year. However since the CSCP were claiming the credit for the reduction, then I suppose they also have to live with credit for the fatals as well... not having a broad spectrum of safety measures in place!

No doubt we shall see a rise in appearances of the mobile vans on the A6 near Penrith, as this latest crash was not far from the Plumpton crash site - or the camera van HQ!

They have not been at Ings at peak times for months! Clearly they have finally seen that monitoring commuter traffic has become unproductive - and drivers are making hay while the sun shines!! The two lane 50mph stretch between Ings and Windermere, which is now separated by a huge central hatched lane, has become like a race track in early evenings, now that the boy racers can see a big space between them and oncoming traffic!

The VAS sign before Bannerigg has been faulty for a year now without any action from Cumbria Highways - I doubt that they know it is faulty or even care! It lit up at ANY speed, rather than fast speeds, and might as well just have an aluminium fixed sign!
It should read SLOW DOWN, but has just been a couple of random LEDs since soon after it was installed.
I notified the Highways planner himself - when I suggested it was in the wrong place!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 19:22 
User

Add another one to the list... Pedestrian knocked over on the A66 approx 1am today. Not a good couple of weeks!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 19:25 
User

Oh, and I wasn't surprised to see an accident at Milehouse unfortunately - that junction was an accident waiting to happen, though no doubt the camera van will park at the top of the preceeding climbing lane to maximise takings...