Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 19:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 22:05 

Not sure who has been following the fight against the outrageous 10mph Windermere speed limit that has been foisted upon us over here in Cumbria, but for those not up to speed it's been an interesting few weeks.

Tony Kemp is the man behind the "Windermere Action Force", and seems to be something of an expert in gaining publicity. A couple of weeks ago he pulled a flanker by distributing a leaflet the looked uncannily like the National Park Newsletter that the LDNPA periodically distribute. It was only when you got half way down the first page that you realised what it really was. This has triggered a wry smile from most of us, and the inevitable storm of outrage from various do-gooders and bewildered "people of average intelligence", who failed to grasp the point, and thought that the LDNPA were sending them leaflets urging them to break the new speed limit! So of course that story made this week's Westmorland Gazette

Next up, he has decided to run as an independent candidate for Westmorland and Lonsdale (ie Kendal - currently Tim Collins' seat). Primarily he's policies are based around increasing local accountability for the LDNPA, who are an unelected QUANGO with massive powers, and are the force behind many of the draconian restrictions being introduced in the Lakes. So more leaflets and loads more publicity for his cause (though God knows how much this is all costing him!).

As an aside, I can't help but think that if he'd dug a bit deeper and picked up on a few more of the local issues that the main candidates are studiously avoiding - such as the proposed Whinash wind farm, the cockle-picking fiasco,and dare I say "speed cameras" - then he'd gain a good deal more votes. However, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

But now the master stroke. In order to launch his political campaign he water ski-ed (at over 10mph) along Windermere in a suit, complete with rosette. Bingo! Here is the picture that is plastered on the front page of this week's Westmorland Gazette!

This stunt of course led to an altercation with the Lake Wardens, one of whom strangely accused him of assault! So more front page publicity.

Ok, he's hardly likely to win the seat, but in terms of gaining publicity you can't fault him. To get the banner headline in the local paper (and with a picture like that!) the week before the general election is surely a coup that any of his political rivals would have given their eye teeth for!

It certainly makes you think. If today's M4 protest should lead us to a similar one on the M6, I can't help but wonder whether it might be appropriate to have a few of the cars towing speedboats.... :wink:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 00:01 
User

I see the boat driver (responsible for the speeding) was wearing a mask, and made a clean getaway.
Tony Kemp wrote:
Simple really. The driver wore identical clothing to other crew members and concealed their identity by wearing masks with brightly coloured wigs. When I'd had enough of water skiing in a very heavy wool suit, the drivers moored up to the jetty, got out of the boat and ran to their cars. They then just drove off home.

I wonder where they got that idea?

So why was the National Park officer involved in an argument with Mr Kemp?
Could it be he was a bit pi**ed off at being thwarted, and went to the same Charm School as Steve Callaghan?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 00:06 
User

The methods used to judge speed seem a bit suspect, this was in an email I received from the WAF.

Quote:
Tony was not prosecuted on Coniston based on speed (laser) gun evidence, he was convicted on expert witness statements! They used GPS speed reading as substantiating evidence only. So to date laser gun has not been proven as Ted says it will be very unrealisable, this is substantiated by the wardens all being issued with wrist mounted GPS devices to be used in the following way:
1) Take a laser speed reading of the offending vessel.

2) Check your wrist mounted GPS speed reading

3) Take a second Speed laser speed reading of the offending vessel

4) Check again your wrist mounted GPS speed reading if it's still the same as the first reading then the laser value is good for prosecution!

Given the above the chances of using laser guns to gain convictions is pretty slim, they will really on photo's, video and expert witness statements to gain convictions. In my view we have to put this all to the test on Windermere

Now that's what I call THIN evidence!!! :x :shock:
Now we know why the LDNPA is short of funds - it's all this anti-powerboat tackle they are buying!! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 13:49 
User

One thing I've found entertaining is the temporary signs sarga :-

Local small businesses/clubs/organisations were complaining that there temporary signs were disappearing.

A week later LDNPA said that they were the ones taking the signs and they will continue to do so.

With us in the period of election locals were chuckling between themselves on whether LDNPA would practice what they preached and do the same with the party election signs all over the spot.

A week later and it seems someone has, but only conservative signs and jo pubic can see it - only my way to work I pass 30 odd lib dem signs compared to 4 conservative and 1 labour signs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 19:41 
User

You've seen a LABOUR POSTER????? :o

WHERE???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 20:33 
User

Milnthorpe Rd, one of the houses near the traffic lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 21:25 

Lakeuk wrote:
Milnthorpe Rd, one of the houses near the traffic lights

I can't believe you posted that! I was just going to quote the exact same house...

We are house-hunting at the moment, and looked round one on Milnthorpe Road last week. The current owners had a couple of LibDem signs up outside and we were chuckling about what a dubious move an open display of political affiliation is, when you are trying to sell your house.

Anyway, we were driving past this morning and noticed that their LibDem signs have been bettered by their next door neighbours, who have erected a 4' square Conservative sign.

And then, when driving back this evening we noticed that the next house along has indeed erected a "Vote Labour" banner, in a sort of "I'll see your sign and raise you" bidding war.

What I can't decide is whether they are genuine Labour voters or whethere they are just taking the piss out of their neighbours! Or perhaps that's where the Labour candidate lives...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 21:42 

Back on topic.....

We could do with a candidate like that here. Labour controlled for 87246868473817years and the other parties are doing **** all to change it. I've only seen the labour lot out canvassing and they obviously noted the look I gave them and waited 'till I was out to knock on the door. :x