Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Cameras postponed
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 13:27 
User

Two fixed and one mobile cameras in Cumbria have been placed on hold pending a review of statistics, to see if they are actually reducing accidents.
Kevin Tea says he expects to see them approved following the audit.
Maybe the Cameras at Ings will start working at the same time! :)

Apparently the DfT have put 500 cameras on hold nationwide. :o

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 19:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest - just posted on something similar - see http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3186

Aparently the "road safety minister" had 9 points from cams some years ago - new member for our forums perhaps??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 22:35 

I wonder how close they're going to look? Naturally one would expect CSCP to strenuously maintain that they were making a useful contribution (notwithstanding the larger numbers of people actually being killed on our roads)!

I heard the sad news that some more people were killed on the A6 the other week near Carlisle. Apparently a notorious accident blackspot that had claimed lives last year too. I was wondering what the situation would be if engineering changes were made to that bit of road to make it safer? If the accidents went down would it make CSCP look good? Are the DfT likely to take such things into account?

Anyway, while I'm here (been away quite a lot these last few months) it may amuse my fellow forumites to hear that Mrs. Mole was "Scammed" a few weeks ago on the M6! (oh how we laughed!) :wink: . She'd unexpectedly got half a day off work and decided to nip down to Manchester to get herself some more maternity clothes - yes, exceeding the speed limit with my unborn child in her womb!) It was late morning, no rush hour traffic, dry roads, good visibility etc so some scammer decided to do her at the reckless speed of...

... 79 MPH.

WELL THAT'LL MAKE CUMBRIA'S ROADS A LOT SAFER THEN! :roll:

Strangely enough, the next day I was using said stretch of road and doing "about 80" when I was passed by a marked police car going "a bit faster than that". No lights, no siren, just going about his (or maybe her) business. What is it about putting a copper in a van on a bridge? When they're in their cars driving like the rest of us, they never give us a minute's bother and yet as soon as you sit one in a van, all discretion, training, common sense etc seems to go out of the window!

Oh, and the other bit of news was that I was involved in an RTA the other week and YES! it was down to excess speed! Naturally, you wouldn't be expecting me to shout about it if it had been MY fault and indeed it wasn't! It was a narrow (single track) NSL road not far from where I live and some nutter came tanking round a blind bend towards me far too fast for the conditions, locked up and hit me. I was stationary by this time - having only been doing about 25 before the accident and I had wriggled as far on to the verge as the hedge permitted by the time he hit me. He probably wouldn't have been doing much more than 45 when he saw me and probably rather less than 20 when he hit me so nobody was hurt but it really did hammer home the message that simple numerical enforcement of speed limits just isn't the answer - and never will be other than in a very small minority of cases!

OK, I'm preaching to the converted but I do feel better for a little rant!

Night Night!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 09:23 
User

Listen in to Radio Cumbria on Monday morning, between 7.45 and 8.00 am for a piece involving the Institute of Advanced Motorists survey. :idea:
If you have access to a PC, you can listen online, by going to www.http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/radiocumbria/index.shtml
Click on the Listen Live link, and click the listen live button on the window that opens up.
Presumably the IAM are releasing this through other local stations around the country. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 14:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Aparently the "road safety minister" had 9 points from cams some years ago - new member for our forums perhaps??

I wouldn't hold your breath mate. IIRC Paul's already written to him and got the standard "burn off" letter. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 21:03 
User

IAM survey results:
Britain's drivers want more warning signs about speed cameras and speed limits on roads where cameras are sited, according to a new
survey for the Institute of Advanced Motorists. It suggests nearly nine out of ten drivers (88%) say every roadside speed camera should
carry a sign on it, advising motorists of the speed limit. And more than eight out of ten (82%) also want vehicle-activated signs placed
ahead of cameras to provide an early reminder of the speed limit.
Overwhelming support for a range of changes in the rules governing cameras are revealed in a nationally representative NOP survey of 550
drivers carried out for the IAM, the UK's leading organisation for improving driving standards. More than seven out of ten drivers (76%)
want all roadside cameras painted yellow, including traffic light and yellow box cameras. And more than six out of ten (62%) would like to
see the money left over after covering the cost of speed camera enforcement used to pay for hundreds more traffic police.
Quote:
And more than six out of ten (62%) would like to
see the money left over after covering the cost of speed camera enforcement used to pay for hundreds more traffic police.

Hardly likely after the partnership have had the honey on their bread first! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 21:47 

Hmmmm. I seem to remember proposing that all fixed cameras had the speed limit displayed on the actual camera housing a year or so ago on the CSCP board. Steve came out with a load of "word salad" about how it wouldn't be practical and you need permission for secondary speed limit signs and it would all really be too much trouble anyway! The idea also included all camera vans having a board on them next to the hole through which the camera poked also displaying the limit - pretty easy to have a few different ones depending on the limit, I'd have thought! But that idea didn't get very far either! Can't see why, it would have covered up some of the "bright and highly distinctive" livery which might have made them better camoflaged and possibly even upped the day's takings!

How did the radio interview go Earnest? Do they have a "listen again" facility like Radio 4?