Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 05:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Petitions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 23:30 
User

On the petition site there are lots of petitions to do with getting rid of speed. This sight does a marvelous job but perhaps rather than pushing for scrapping cameras we have a petition to keep them and go for getting rid of the points system, the cosy relationship between Mags and SCP with the injustice system by setting up an independent body not linked to police, SCP, CPS to whom you can appeal or something like that or perhaps something like this:-

Petition

Currently many safe drivers are being prosecuted for minor speed infringements when they are travelling safely for the environment. Good drivers are aware to match the speed to the conditions. The current road safety policy is creating bad drivers as they constantly have to take their eyes off the road to check the speedo. My proposal is that fines should be kept at current levels to maintain funding of safety initiatives, not more cameras installed but reminder signs, officers and CSP staff could then visually concentrate on dangerous driving. Points should still be used for non speeding offences unless a speeding offence is over 10mph above posted limit. Points should then be applied as 1 point per 5mph over to a maximum of 3 pts for any one offence. Insurance offence should be 6pts immediately and drink driving remains as a ban. Offences that go to court should be treated fairly without people being adjudged guilty prior to trial and mitigating evidence should be considered. The absolute offence should be removed and common sense should be applied."

I would not mind paying a fine, it is the injustice of the operation and the criminal proceedings for minor contravention that gets me going.

Anyone like to develop this idea?

Regards

PS Mind you with all the cameras around I would have to get a 2nd or 3rd job :lol:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 13:45 

I kind-of feel the opposite to be honest! Getting rid of the points would allow rich people to speed whenever they wanted (it would just cost them a bit more) whilst poor people would be disproportionately affected (unless they weren't law-abiding poor people, in which case it wouldn't make any difference one way or the other)!

My feeling is that they should scrap the fines and ONLY have points - then it wouldn't matter how rich or poor you were. If fact, if it's as dangerous as they say it is, why not double the points for every infringement?! It's only the fines side of things that stops me taking them seriously when they say this isn't about the money. Really? OK then, scrap the fines and I'll believe you!

Of course, when pretty much half the entire driving population is banned from driving and the economy collapses because they can't work, AND there's STILL not much difference in accident statistics, that's a little matter they'll have to deal with. But hey, are they serious about this or not?! :wink:

Profile Send private message