Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 22:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A blast from the past
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not my idea but an invention I remember from yonks ago which I think I may have seen on Tomorrows World but it's so long ago now I could be mistaken. You'll have to be at least in your late 40s to remember it I think.

The invention was to help HGVs brake much quicker in a panic situation by ejecting a special sheet, attached to the front chassis somewhere, underneath between the wheels and the road. It pretty much nailed the vehicle to the ground, I was very impressed at the time.

I was just reminded of it as I saw a Fire Service Vehicle speeding down a narrow road, with parked cars and people, and thought how the heck would you stop something that big and heavy if you needed. That was exactly what this invention was about.

Anyone remember it or know why it wasn't introduced?

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:32 
User

It probably wasn't introduced because it pre-dated the seat belt law; from which all the vehicles that it would help are exempt IIRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

R1Nut wrote:
It probably wasn't introduced because it pre-dated the seat belt law; from which all the vehicles that it would help are exempt IIRC.

Thanks and sorry R1, :? Maybe I'm being a bit dense but how does the seat belt law obviate the need to slow HGVs down as quickly as possible?

I assume they don't stop as quickly as cars, (could be wrong though), but in any case to get the big stuff glued to the road better ought to have caught on I would have thought :?:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 13:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stopping that quickly in the absence of a seat-belt could be interesting for the driver, I believe was the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 13:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RobinXe wrote:
Stopping that quickly in the absence of a seat-belt could be interesting for the driver, I believe was the point.

Oh. I wondered if that was it but since when does braking very hard make you head butt the wind screen? Seat belts are most helpul at impact, or at least that was the message in the 70s.

Am I still being a bit dense? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 13:23 
Life Member
Life Member

There was a lively debate on this very subject : http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ight=super

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 13:43 
User

Big Tone wrote:
It pretty much nailed the vehicle to the ground

I assumed that to mean a dead stop, which would lead to the driver being ejected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 13:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

anton wrote:
There was a lively debate on this very subject : http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... ight=super

Brill! I see it mentioned on the first of six pages. I'd better get busy.

You're an old timer anton, in the nicest way, so forgive me for not finding it :)

(Must improve my search before posting)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 13:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

R1Nut wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
It pretty much nailed the vehicle to the ground

I assumed that to mean a dead stop, which would lead to the driver being ejected.

Well, I'm prone to exagerate at times :roll: The vision of it stays with me to this day though. The before and after were markedly better I should have said, soz.

Firemen have strong arms. If you drop the anchors you know what you are about to do and brace yourself - everyone does. I admit an unwary passenger may be caught off guard but the driver, especially a fireman, shouldn't.

Ta everyone :thumbsup: