All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 23:10 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

smeggy wrote:
camera operator wrote:
oh i don't know

Well it isn’t the consensus of the forum users, let alone the campaigners.

isn't it, if i get the time and can be bothered then i will post / pm you the contradictory views of users, whom in turn are in one way or the others campaigners, from this forum and other forums

Quote:
smeggy

camera operator wrote:
assuming you are relating to speed limits and not SCP worked sites( a totaly seperate issue), due to analysis the speed limit is set to the 85th percentile and signposted as such (without signposting how will the driver know the correct speed),

I’m not sure I understood you here.
I hope you realise that for the setting of speed limits based on the 85th percentile rule, the speed measurements should be done with no speed limit in place.

of course, and the results are then analysed and compared to the posted limit, to confirm the 85thP, pretty pointless if you take data from a 40 mph limit and superimpose it on a 30mph limit

Quote:
IIRC, the Germans have many variable speed limits, dependent on the time of day, even through villages

:o cannot answer that, i don't live in germany

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 23:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

camera operator wrote:

Quote:
smeggy

camera operator wrote:
assuming you are relating to speed limits and not SCP worked sites( a totaly seperate issue), due to analysis the speed limit is set to the 85th percentile and signposted as such (without signposting how will the driver know the correct speed),

I’m not sure I understood you here.
I hope you realise that for the setting of speed limits based on the 85th percentile rule, the speed measurements should be done with no speed limit in place.

of course, and the results are then analysed and compared to the posted limit, to confirm the 85thP, pretty pointless if you take data from a 40 mph limit and superimpose it on a 30mph limit

Not sure I get this, if the 85th percentile is calculated with no speed limit in place, what speed limit is it compared to? And why?

Upton Sinclair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 07:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not sure I understand the points being made here. AIUI, you monitor the speeds of motorists along a road where there are no artificial pre-existing limits (in other words, you let them select their own safe speed). You then calculate the speed below which 85% of them are travelling. This is the 85th percentile speed.

I don't understand the references to pre-existing limits as this will skew the results to unnaturally low levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 08:45 
Life Member
Life Member

Back on the motto, I rather liked something posted previously, by RobinXE iirc, along the lines of

It is not who is right but who is left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 08:53 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

camera operator wrote:
smeggy wrote:
Well it isn’t the consensus of the forum users, let alone the campaigners.

isn't it, if i get the time and can be bothered then i will post / pm you the contradictory views of users, whom in turn are in one way or the others campaigners, from this forum and other forums

Contradictory statements do not make a consensus.
Forum users cannot be considered as campaigners, supporters yes but not campaigners (forum users can be considered to be campaigners only if they actually do any campaigning).

camera operator wrote:

As malcolmw and gopher have already said, I can’t help but think you’ve missed what I was getting at.
To go back a few steps: no I would not let my ‘local chavs, taxi drivers to drive at whatever speed they want’; this is covered by the SS manifesto (which I agree with). They should be limited to speed accepted as safe by the other road users (who thankfully are the majority), the limit set by use of the 85th percentile rule (this is separate from the SCP trigger threshold rule). If necessary the limit can be reduced to account for unfavourable conditions (this is successfully managed in other counties).
Everyone’s a winner, except the SCPs who would no longer make money by needlessly criminalising safe drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 17:03 
New User
New User

:evil: More accidents happen on the back seat of a car, than when ones driving it. :twisted: