Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 20:04 

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against lorry drivers or anything, but this would seem to be an effective way of reducing peak time congestion - look at all the much needed space that would be created on the roads.

Given the number of motorway accidents involving HGVs during the morning rush hour in particular, it could be a good thing for safety too.

I am aware that there would be a commercial cost, but I doubt the cost would be as significant as that of national road pricing.

Obviously the lorries would need places to park up during rush hour, but I'm sure the coffee shops and eateries adjacent to these places would do enough trade to pay back the cost of building them.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 08:42 
Life Member
Life Member

Define "rush hour"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:39 

I would like to ban all 15mph agricultural vehicles, JCB etc. during "rush hour", which I would define as 8am-9am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:51 

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Define "rush hour"

7:30AM-9:30AM and 4:30PM-6:30PM Monday to Friday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

antera309 wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
Define "rush hour"

So you're going to pay lorry drivers for sitting around doing nothing for four hours a day? Hmm, what would that do to delivery costs?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 21:58 
User

PeterE wrote:
antera309 wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
Define "rush hour"

So you're going to pay lorry drivers for sitting around doing nothing for four hours a day? Hmm, what would that do to delivery costs?

Do lorry drivers actually cover any useful (economically speaking) distance during these times?

:scratchchin:

I know I dont!

I am self employed and I go to a great deal of effort to avoid being on the road during these hours!

I would rather be...

a) Asleep!
b) Playing computer games!
c) (if all else fails) Sticking red hot needles in my eyes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 00:50 
User

Why not ban cars during the rush hour seeing as it's the car drivers that CAUSE the accidents by driving like idiots?

I know it's not realistic. Neither is banning lorries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 05:24 

PeterE wrote:

Probably not as much as having to pay the Government up to £1.20 per mile.

Nos4r2 wrote:
Why not ban cars during the rush hour.

Commuters are constrained by the 9-5 working hours expected of them by their employers.

Companies can receive their deliveries at any time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:17 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
Commuters are constrained by the 9-5 working hours expected of them by their employers.

I wish!

I have been starting at 7.30 for 28 years!
We used to get to the customers by 8am and beat the school rush.
Now the motorway crawls from 7.15 am
When I commuted 30 miles I used to set outat 7:05 which crept to 6:50 because the traffic was less. The work car park is absolutly full at 7:40.
Most people live in rural areas with no viable public transport.
It might be better to lay on loads of local school busses rather than ban lorries.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 15:14 

antera309 wrote:
Given the number of motorway accidents involving HGVs during the morning rush hour in particular, it could be a good thing for safety too.

Do you have a source for these figures?

I think we pretty much have a ban on HGVs during rush hour at the moment, most try their best to avoid travelling at the worst times for congestion due to simple economics.

I also worry it would be the start of "divide and conquer" tactics, next it could be tax band G cars (they've colour coded the tax disk already) banned from rush hour. Or single occupant cars.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 13:29 
User

i can actually feel my blood pressure rising :x

1. why ban the best drivers on the road?
2. car drivers do not have limited time to drive, we do!
3. we have all day to deliver to businesses but we tend to do more than 1 delivery at a time and they are not necessarily next door to each other or even in the same town/city.
4. commuters have alternatives, trucks dont
5. trucks do not cause congestion, we get stuck in it
6. how much space would an artic take up? in slow traffic, 2 car lengths with a gap? how much difference would that make?
7. after a 12 hour overnight shift, would YOU like to be told you need to park up for 2 hours before returning to base half an hour down the road?
8. we have a job to do, you have a job to get to!
9. without trucks on the road you dont have an office to go to or coffee in your vending machines or even roads to get you anywhere. trucks are a necessity. banning us is like your wife saying ok you got me pregnant, your job is done now close the door on your way out and dont come back!

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 13:35 
User

Don't be daft antera. MOST HGV drivers have been at work for 3 hours by rush hour and are already at their 1st drop.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:12 

It'd be funny. At the start of "rush hour" whenever that would be defined all lorry drivers just come to a stop wherever they are. That'd help. :lol:

Can anyone tell me of anything which was causing a problem, was "banned" and the problem went away without the ban causing any other problems?

How would the ban work? If caught driving during the random numbers (which would slowly grow with time) then you have to pay the government £££ - an amount which would start off small and slowly grow with time so people will think "Ah they're only increasing the fine a little bit" each time.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 16:40 
New User
New User

antera309 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against lorry drivers or anything, but this would seem to be an effective way of reducing peak time congestion - look at all the much needed space that would be created on the roads.

Obviously the lorries would need places to park up during rush hour, but I'm sure the coffee shops and eateries adjacent to these places would do enough trade to pay back the cost of building them.

How about in Antera's garden???

Have you ever tried to find somewhere to park a lorry during peak parking periods, especilly at night time. And thats when most lorries are parked up at there operating centres. I myself have had problems abiding to the drivers hours regs because of this problem, which normally ends up meaning parking somewhere entirely in appropriate with no facillities. :x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 07:55 
User

Welcome Flyinfiat. Have a wander over to the trucker's forum!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:01 
User

Dusty wrote:

Do lorry drivers actually cover any useful (economically speaking) distance during these times?

some of us do. the ones that dont use satnav and think, there is traffic there so i will go a different way!

strangely some others do. not all lorries are stuck in traffic. some are in quieter places where traffic is free flowing. apparently not every inch of motorway is congested for 4 hours a day. some parts dont get congested at all :shock:

SSAFA supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:10 
Life Member
Life Member

Banning from town/city centres maybe. Don't they do this in Germany? how well does it work?

Certainally the likes of tesco/iceland etc should be banned from parking a 44 tonner on restrictive high streets and unloading at 9am, causing completely unnecessary congestion, like they do EVERY DAY on kentish town high street and other places. They cause mayhem and the most they'll get is a £50 pcn, the same you or I'll get for going 10 secs over on a parking meter, it really doesn't add up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 13:44 
User

these would be the same supermarkets who have drivers starting at 1 or 2 in the morning to avoid disruption?
blackpool is a 01.15 start with iceland to allow the driver to get there for 6am to deliver. its next to a big car park which is needed to turn round and drive the wrong way up a 1 way road to enable the driver to reverse into the delivery bay which is next to a car park!
sunderland. in and out by 9am or you are blocked in by cars.

before you criticise, look at the situation. in many places you cant get in too late due to cars abandoned in the way. until car drivers learn to walk further than their nose it is necessary for us to get in where we can when we can and in many cases there is more than one shop to deliver to which means we have to get there in time or we are fighting for the space we need to deliver.

this one thread is beginning to unearth a distinct lack of understanding of the logistical nightmare that transport companies have and the driver is the one on the front line

who cares that bigger hauliers are going bust as long as a shopper only has to cross a pavement to get their shopping :x

SSAFA supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 14:31 
Life Member
Life Member

scanny77 wrote:
these would be the same supermarkets who have drivers starting at 1 or 2 in the morning to avoid disruption?
blackpool is a 01.15 start with iceland to allow the driver to get there for 6am to deliver. its next to a big car park which is needed to turn round and drive the wrong way up a 1 way road to enable the driver to reverse into the delivery bay which is next to a car park!
sunderland. in and out by 9am or you are blocked in by cars.

before you criticise, look at the situation. in many places you cant get in too late due to cars abandoned in the way. until car drivers learn to walk further than their nose it is necessary for us to get in where we can when we can and in many cases there is more than one shop to deliver to which means we have to get there in time or we are fighting for the space we need to deliver.

this one thread is beginning to unearth a distinct lack of understanding of the logistical nightmare that transport companies have and the driver is the one on the front line

who cares that bigger hauliers are going bust as long as a shopper only has to cross a pavement to get their shopping :x

I don't understand the relevance to my example, which is mini-supermarkets with no delivery bays or car parking obstructing busy high streets in rush hour. It's what, four hours out of 24? although your point about abandoned cars is quite valid- local parking restrictions probably tempt supermarkets to start offloading when space to park becomes avaliable- ie when rush hour parking restrictings come into force! :roll: And while I understand your point, its still a bloody stupid solution to the problem and defeats the point of urban clearways, but the problem lies with local parking restrictions and/or the supermarkets own lack of facilities to handle deliveries, not drivers who can't walk anywhere- they're just parking when and where the law permits.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 18:51 

hairyben wrote:
Banning from town/city centres maybe. Don't they do this in Germany? how well does it work?

Certainally the likes of tesco/iceland etc should be banned from parking a 44 tonner on restrictive high streets and unloading at 9am, causing completely unnecessary congestion, like they do EVERY DAY on kentish town high street and other places. They cause mayhem and the most they'll get is a £50 pcn, the same you or I'll get for going 10 secs over on a parking meter, it really doesn't add up.

Surely that problem was caused by the money-grabbing councils who allowed planning permission, knowing that this would be a problem which they can "solve" by restriction? Restriction = money for them and we have to suffer because of their greed. This is most certainly the case in Poole. I saw one planning permission document for some shoddy flats where the transportation department said (to paraphrase) "This will cause a parking problem. Install two 'bicycle parking places' and we'll allow it." Fortunately that got rejected.

Also, you say they should be "banned" from parking on restrictions... So where they are already "banned" then? ;)