Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 18:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have recently returned from a month in Southern Florida. I was looking at their roads with the current UK campaign about removing roadside clutter in mind. It struck me that one of many differences between US and EU roads is the marked reduction in Keep Left or Keep Right (as appropriate) signs. Certainly in South Florida and also in the Rockies - where I have driven 8000 miles in recent years - there are very few Keep Right signs. Where in the UK we would have a traffic island and a sign, in the US they just have some yellowpaint on the road. At junctions where the roads are dual carriageways there is only a keep right sign in about 20% of cases. otherwise there is just the raised centre section of the road. Motorists are expected to have enough common sense to keep to the correct side of the dual carriageway without intrusive signs. Another thing missing in the US on single carriageway roads is the traffic island in the middle of the road, sometimes used as a pedestrian refuge in the UK. In the US pedestrians are expected to cross the road in one go, or perhaps wait on the yellow painted are that divided opposing flows of traffic and allows right or left turns on some wider single carriageways.
Removal of Keep Left signs and associated traffic islands would remove much clutter from our roads and would provide less street furniture as colission hazards.
Bobbio

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 22:49 
Supporter
Supporter

They also have "WRONG WAY" signs on divided highways suggesting either that the other signage is inadequate or that common sense is in short supply.

And, as a decreasingly nimble pedestrian I find the central islands invaluable in crossing the road. I am sure that pedestrians waiting in the middle of the road as you suggest would be heavily censured by the "we all must look to our own safety" brigade. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 15:27 

They have the concept of a centre line though, we don't have that here.
ie. Normally the yellow line should be on your left.

The obstructions they put in the middle of the roads over here do probably give a false sense of security - that bit of plastic isn't going to protect you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 16:42 
Supporter
Supporter

Ziltro wrote:
They have the concept of a centre line though, we don't have that here.
ie. Normally the yellow line should be on your left.

The obstructions they put in the middle of the roads over here do probably give a false sense of security - that bit of plastic isn't going to protect you.

The kerb gives you the same protection as the kerb on a pavement. Not much, but better than nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 16:59 
User

a recent arrival near me
streetview link

this is on a roundabout.. to the right is continue round the roundabout .. to the left is one of the exits.
the bollard dead ahead has now been replaced with a flat equivalent.. complete with blue left/right arrows.... just in case you weren't sure what the options were.
:roll: :D