Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Public information films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 23:01 

I'm sure I can't be the only 40+ year old to remember the old "public information films" of the '70s. Not just the kids' ones (good old Tufty and his mates!) but the ones for grown-ups too - on driving. They clearly left an impression on me!

Now these days, nobody wants to be patronised by "Auntie" on the telly, but what about some sort of "Crimewatch"- style reconstruction of the 30 seconds or so leading up to a fatal or serious accident? I have in mind something from the driver's point of view, recreating his field of view, his dashboard, all the little details that bring it to life and make people think "that could be me"!

On my way to Carlisle this morning, I saw a pretty stupid overtake - fairly typical on SC A roads in the early morning. It was on the approach to a hidden dip and there were very sensibly placed continuous white lines down the middle of the road for that very reason. Obviously our little "road warrior", presumably high on the testosterone rush that only a Maxxed-out Saxo with a 6" tailpipe can provide, ( :roll: ) thought that it was OK to overtake. Fortunately, as is so often the cae, he got away with it this time - nothing in the dip, but it set me thinking that a series of very short reconstructions of the events immediately leading up to an accident might hit home with some drivers????

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 23:11 
Supporter
Supporter

Back in the late seventies there was a TV series which examined a (fictional) multi vehicle accident. Each week, for about six weeks, it examined the accident through they eyes of a different victim. Very thought provoking and worth doing again

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 01:07 
User

Mole, you can re-live those days by searching out those films on YouTube!
I have several of them on my laptop to amuse and educate my kids, including "Mrs Blunder" and the one where a youthful Ken Dod plays ALL the characters!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 09:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

http://625.uk.com/pifs/library.htm

There's a few on there. I did find a site which had literally nearly all public information films going back donkeys but I can't just remember where it was...

Can't find that one but the national archives seem to have them:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 14:56 

A recent one that sticks in my mind is the one encouraging you to get people in the back seat to belt up.

It shows a young mum with kids in the back getting hit from behind and killed by her son in the back seat, as she ran into the back of something stationary because she was concentrating too much on the van behind her, instead of the road ahead.

This could have been an excellent film to show the dangers of not concentrating on the road ahead but it instead concentrated on seat belt wearers.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 15:58 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

graball wrote:
A recent one that sticks in my mind is the one encouraging you to get people in the back seat to belt up.

It shows a young mum with kids in the back getting hit from behind and killed by her son in the back seat, as she ran into the back of something stationary because she was concentrating too much on the van behind her, instead of the road ahead.

This could have been an excellent film to show the dangers of not concentrating on the road ahead but it instead concentrated on seat belt wearers.

I think you're referring to "Julie"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 16:47 

That's the one. Illustrated perfectly the dangers of not watching the road ahead.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 22:16 
User

Great link from teabelly, but for a tenner you can get your own piece if nostalgia with the Charley Says DVD.

I've got both the video and DVD, so i must be an "old git" ;)

mb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 23:19 

I like joe and petunia....was it really that long ago.... ;-)