The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 07:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 14:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
RIGHT FORUM??
Are the regulations on visibility being met?
How can we force the pratnerships to run round checking that the regulations wrt siting and trees etc are being met instead .Costs them money. Don't suppose that the NIP asks that question. so that the pratnerships are denied the portion of the £60
The idea being to get them worried.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 17:07 
User

Yes, I would agree.

I've seen some shockers before - but none as bad as the one in Leeds the other day. Some people might know it - if you're following the Ring Road anti-clockwise, there is a part where the road turns into a 3 lane per side section going through no residential areas (i.e normally the safest type of road) with a blanket 40 limit. Some way along this road dips into a small tunnel with a right hand turn.

The idiots have placed the camera about 10 yards away from the tunnel wall set on the right hand side of the central reservation, so you see nothing of the camera due to the tunnel walls and right hand curvature of the road.

All I saw was the calibration lines in the road - I was doing about 45 ish at the time so I had to brake sharpish (fortunately nothing behind). Look in the mirror, and there it is - the Gatso with the wonderful high visibility paint :roll:

Some cameras have poor visibility at the best of times but this one is just ridiculous. It's in an absolutely prime revenue position as people simply will not see it until it's too late.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 17:34 

botach wrote:
Are the regulations on visibility being met?

I don't think they care anymore. They are totaly unregulated. With income on the decline they are getting more desperate to make ends meet.

They have "guidlines" not rules. If they ignore them who do you complain to...the police complaints comission?

Hold on a minute...police complaints are recorded. Now there's a thought :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 18:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

reason i asked was that trees etc are hiding a few - found an abd site audit with regs for netting off areas - 60 yds for 40 downwards, thought it would be nice if we could challenge a few sites - make them prove it could be seen -other words make them work for their 60quid or panic if they think that they won't get the money if the scam can't be seen - thinking aloud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 22:07 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

are

Last edited by camera operator on Sat Sep 23, 2006 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 01:52 
User

camera operator wrote:

each time a site is visited, i check that the signage is correct and clear, when i set up i write down the visibility of the van from front of vehicle, the exact location of the vehicle and direction camera is facing, all this is recorded on the paperwork sent to the tape readers.

if signage is missing for example i do not enforce until the council corrects the problem.

Correct and clear to whom?

If everyone knew beforehand that you were there, you'd get no customers, would you? Or are you suggesting that motorists have some sort of sado-masochistic streak; that they know you're there in the bushes, yet they still come and sacrifice themselves on the altar of unadultorated speed?

By it's very nature, you have to set yourself up so that the motorist doesn't know you're there until it's too late - my biggest problem with that is that you end up nicking stacks of people ever so slightly over the limit. When the roads are choked so that speeding is impossible, you're not there to catch tailgaters - to my mind, far more dangerous than plain speeding any day.

But as I have said before: This is not about safety, it's about filching money off of ordinary mototrists because there's an assumption that they can pay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 21:25 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

clear

Last edited by camera operator on Sat Sep 23, 2006 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 22:01 

PaulF wrote:
If everyone knew beforehand that you were there, you'd get no customers, would you? Or are you suggesting that motorists have some sort of sado-masochistic streak; that they know you're there in the bushes, yet they still come and sacrifice themselves on the altar of unadultorated speed?

Well drivers don't throw themselves on some sort of metaphorical sword of speed - scamera martyrs? But, sadly, there are those 'thumb in bum' numpties who wouldn't notice the signs if they were twenty foot tall, wouldn't notice the vans if they were lit up like a close encounters spaceship nor realise what they were heading into if a radio announcement bawled out a warning when they were a mile away.

camera operator wrote:
if i report a driver traveling above the threshold speed set by the SCP, after passing a clearly signposted speed limit with camera enforcement clearly signposted then i am doing my job

Over what sort of distance/time frame is your 'customer's' ( :wink: ) speed checked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 16:42 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

with

Last edited by camera operator on Sat Sep 23, 2006 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Visibility not the point
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 20:12 
Life Member
Life Member

Hi,
I can think of no one who wants a speeding ticket. I can easily pass 10,000 cameras in a year. I pass 5 in a 0.6 mile stretch on the A511 by my home. Another camera is being put in the road adjacent to my home where there has been 1 speed related accident in the last three years. If I am really observant I might keep within the limit 9,999 times in 1 year. this still means I will lose my license if I cannot achieve 10,000 out of 10,000 every year. also as the limits in a lot of areas are not set by a road traffic engineer they do little for safety.

Does anybody have the data for the actual speeds that people break the limit by i.e.

36 mph = x%
37 mph = y% and so on

Regards
:) Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 20:19 

HalcyonRichard wrote:
Does anybody have the data for the actual speeds that people break the limit by i.e.

36 mph = x%
37 mph = y% and so on

Who owns those little grey cube shaped boxes on round poles by the side of almost every road around here? I'm pretty sure they are there for data collection of this kind.

--

Andrew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 13:24 
User

The ones that set off radar/camera detectors?

A load of them appeared around the NE of Scotland about 2-3 years ago. Someone I know asked the local police what they were for, but didn't receive any reply. They all disappeared soon after? Coincidence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 14:38 

Hmmm no they are perminent installations with road sensors attached. Cube shaped dark grey box with a door on one side, round pole.
They are on almost every major road around here.

They may be called "Telemetry Data Collection units".
I'm guessing they are pretty much the same as the temporary ones they chain to poles and have rubber strips across the road.

--

Andrew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:28 
User

Aahh right. Yes, I know the ones you mean now.

What I was on about is something different. It's a small grey box (about cereal box sized at a guess) that seems to emit a radar signal of some sort. They're invariably mounted on existing roadsign poles/streetlights etc and have an opaque'window' in the narrow end, which is pointed out into the oncoming traffic at an angle of approx 20deg. I guess they're battery powered as there are no obvious cables coming out of them.

Anyone know what these are for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 00:22 
Site Admin

samcro wrote:
Anyone know what these are for?

Traffic speed survey. Measures vehicle speeds by radar and gathers data on a hard disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 19:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

camera operator wrote:
are you referring to fixed or mobile sites.

each time a site is visited, i check that the signage is correct and clear, when i set up i write down the visibility of the van from front of vehicle, the exact location of the vehicle and direction camera is facing, all this is recorded on the paperwork sent to the tape readers.

if signage is missing for example i do not enforce until the council corrects the problem.

Another reason I posed the question - around here we have a custom site near a school ( about 300 yds after actually) for a van to sit in - problem is that half the van was hidden by trees the last time i saw it parked there, and that was once you'd passed a sign which sort of half hid it.
Problems not there now - we've got a fixed one there, hiden by the sign and stacks of trees - reckon it's not visible in the set distance ,but would like to know how to do somat about it first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:27 
User

[quote]i'm off work for several days, but when i go back in i'll work out the average distance that i enforce,[/quote]

This should be interesting.

I have been accused of speeding in Wiltshire and was filmed at 720 Metres. 63% of people that day were filmed at a distance over 610 metres (2,000ft)

One was filmed at 754 metres. Could you explain how this can be assumed to be visible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 20:49 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

broken

Last edited by camera operator on Sat Sep 23, 2006 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 20:33 
User

[quote]one question was the motorway signposted for camera enforcement by Wiltshire,( not knowing the area i understand from posts that there are gatsos on the M4 but this is out of their range) the ultralight that the traf pol use to my knowledge does not have this range either[/quote]

It was not on a motorway, but an A road.

The device used was an LTI20-20 TS/M speedscope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 20:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

camera operator wrote:
clear and correct to me as a motorist driving a SCP van, therefore clear and correct to any motorist using the road, it could end up i give evidence in court months later so the notes i made at the time of enforcment need to be accurate and correct. lying under oath not my scene

customers !! i don't work in tescos

if i don't report any vehicles traveling at a speed above the threshold set by the SCP, thats fine with me

if i report a driver traveling above the threshold speed set by the SCP, after passing a clearly signposted speed limit with camera enforcement clearly signposted then i am doing my job

Now, CO, I've lambasted you in past, wrongly i believe, from what i've seen.
However - my understanding of the law is that
1) a police officer MUST state that he/she believed a vehicle to be exceeding the posted limit, BEFORE any speed check can take place.
Are you a police officer?
If not , how do you justify your actions??