The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 07:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Lum wrote:
The way I'd set the system up is to have a rolling log of about 5-30 minutes after this time the video will drop out the bottom of the system and be discarded, therefore simulating a continuous loop tape.

When the button is pressed, the current contents of the log are moved to another file and a new one is started.

I see what you mean, that’s a good idea.
All unnecessary footage will very soon be automatically overwritten (minutes instead of days). Only a relatively small time frame will need to be stored so very little video compression would be needed, hence reducing the computational strain on the processor.
Plus, the hard drive won’t get so fragmented.
You could even store the looped live footage in RAM – less wear on hard drive.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:59 
Life Member
Life Member

smeggy wrote:

You'd have to have some form of either on-board battery backup or battery-powered dump to a non-vol medium though - else a shunt taking out the car's electrics would just allow the data to evaporate at the most inopportune moment! :lol:

Post subject: Re: On board cameras
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 13:13 
Suspended
Suspended

FLEXO1 wrote:
Regarding my previous ideas, i welcome any critisism and i agree that the system would be quite open to abuse. One point raised i do disagree with is getting more police on the roads. Although more are needed, we would need huge numbers to fully patrol the roads. If this was done we would get the usual response that the police should be catching real criminals not preying on innocent motorists!!!
At the end of the day the only deterent with serious crimes on the roads and the streets is proper sentencing at thecourts. We are constantly told in the media of people who despite having no licence, no MOT, no insurance, several driving bans and a string of driving offenses and then get off with a couple of hundred quid fine a shake of the judges finger and maybe another pointless ban. You could put a police car on every street and police down every road, but unless there is a real deterant then its pointless. Just watch any programme such as Booze Britain, Street crime etc etc and see just how much you can get away with these days and just be let off with either a caution or a small fine.
P.S Big brother has never bothered me as i have nothing to hide. It may be cheesy sounding and no doubt a bit simplistic but with the kind of people around these days then film away as far as i'm concerned.

Absolutely right! We need to get all the banned drivers off the roads and into prison where they belong. These people are frequently career criminals anyway- burglars and the like, who think that laws don't apply to them, while the rest of us have to suffer the consequences of their actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 22:00 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
Absolutely right! We need to get all the banned drivers off the roads and into prison where they belong.

How? More cameras?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 17:38 
User

pogo wrote:
smeggy wrote:

You'd have to have some form of either on-board battery backup or battery-powered dump to a non-vol medium though - else a shunt taking out the car's electrics would just allow the data to evaporate at the most inopportune moment! :lol:

Depends on the wiring. My Car PC has it's own dedicated wire directly to the battery, and monitors the accessory circuit to determine when it's time to perform a clean shutdown.

It'd need a fairly nasty shunt to dislodge this wire, and if the accessory circuit goes it presses the power pins on the motherboard instructing windows to go into hibernate, thus preserving the contents of the RAM.

I can remove it from the car and power it up from a 15V laptop PSU that I have modified for this purpose and extract the data.

Having said that, I'd still rather it was on the hard drive, just incase the motherboard gets damaged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 06:57 
User

Would it not be possible to dump the video onto a 1 gig USB pen drive?
It would make extraction for reading outside the vehicle easier?