Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 23:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 22:25 
User

johnsher wrote:
[ Anyway, due to all these plonkers on the roads I also feel obliged to have fully comprehensive insurance as do most other cyclists that I know.

Must join the CTC then, cheers. Where do you find comprehensive cover? I had a search around ordinary insurance companies a while ago but couldn't find anything. Does it cover you and your bike in the same way car insurance covers people?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 22:55 
User

MGBGT wrote:
Pete317 wrote:
B cyclist wrote:
[Glad you popped that one in. I do know that glancing at the speedo is WAY more distracting than hunting round for cigarettes, selecting one, lighting it, smoking it and getting rid of the ash, then disposing of the butt. :lol: :lol:

Of course it is.
But experience teaches us when and where it's safe to allow distractions, and when and where it's not.
We don't always have that choice when it comes to glancing at the speedo.
And what kind of driver would you rather (or rather not) encounter?
One who isn't aware of the exact speed they're doing, down to the nearest mph, or one whose unsatisfied craving for nicotine makes them want to rip someone's head off?

Abso-bloody-lutely Pete - a neat example of biochemistry at work! Another one is the body's reaction to being clad in Lycra and wearing a sperm-hat - thus stopping you seeing red traffic lights or white lane markers and completely destroying your responsibility for lane or junction discipline. But then, when you use a road vehicle for which you do not need to contribute in any way to the upkeep of the roads or have insurance against incidents with other road users, you really must be above the Law...

So much bile, so much hate, so much blinkered hypocrisy.

Surely your mom didn't run off with the (bicycle) delivery boy from the corner shop?

There are arsehole cyclists, just as there re arsehole drivers. Actually I feel more antagonism towards the arsehole cyclists because they damage the reputation of cyclists far more than arsehole drivers damage the reputation of drivers.

I have no idea how much you earn, MGTBT, but it is quite likely to be less than I do, in which case I contribute more to road maintenance than you do. Please stop with that silly argument, it simply shows you up as having no clothes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 23:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Quote:
B cyclist
I have no idea how much you earn, MGTBT, but it is quite likely to be less than I do, in which case I contribute more to road maintenance than you do. Please stop with that silly argument, it simply shows you up as having no clothes.

And now when TSM gets on he has more ammo - to throw - road safety is NOT about earnings, ---ITS ABOUT ROAD SAFETY SENSE. Otherwise the bloke in the 777 BMW driving like a pillock in L1/L2/L3 , cutting everybody up and causing accidents galore coud claim to be the safest driver on the roads as he earns £xxx million per year :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 23:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Otherwise the bloke in the 777 BMW driving like a pillock in L1/L2/L3 , cutting everybody up and causing accidents galore coud claim to be the safest driver on the roads as he earns £xxx million per year :roll:

err... I believe that B Cyclist has said that high income earners contribute more to road maintenance than all the ")£$*%)"* complaining about cyclists not paying motor vehicle excise (obviously a bit too hard for them to comprehend that bicycles don't have motors). I don't believe he mentioned anything about that contribution making said contributors safer on the roads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 23:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rhythm Thief wrote:
Where do you find comprehensive cover?

ctc have links for that but you'll probably find that you're covered by your home insurance unless your bike is worth more than £1000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 23:58 
User

Yes, it's well worth asking your home insurers first.