Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:25 
User

Given so many people don't indicate at junctions, and sometimes it's impossible to tell if the car causing concern is not bothering to signal, or is in fact acutally going straight ahead. I am wondering if having a straight ahead indicator would help to remove the confusion.

I figure it would look something like this:

There would be a similar one on the rear, of course.

Obviously it would only be a requirement on new cars, and legal to retrofit them to old cars, same as with foglights and so on.

Good idea or not?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 13:16 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Excellent mockup Lum :D :thumbsup:

However, I don’t trust indicators because so many drivers use them incorrectly, having another switch setting is a path to even more confusion and errors.
A front indicator wouldn’t give me any more confidence of a driver’s actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 13:18 
User

errrr... lol.. nice photoshopping.

does it auto-cancel?.. if so when & how ? !
are there cases where it wouldn't be visible anyway? therefore not helping.

useful at minis & X roads i guess where you have two vehicles giving way head to head.

sat nav & car to car telemetry would make a higher tech solution.. assuming the driver does what he's told :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 13:38 
User

Of course, In the good old days of hand signals (Still usefull for lane changing in *dificult* conditions! :twisted: )

There WAS a signal for "Streight Ahead" for telling a :bib: on traffic controll which way you wanted to go! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 14:02 
User

Dusty wrote:
There WAS a signal for "Streight Ahead" for telling a :bib: on traffic controll which way you wanted to go! :)

Is this somebody giving their age away? I haven't seen that signal for two or three decades. Mind you it's also been a long time since I've seen a police officer in a position to receive such a signal!

....and the slope of modern widscreens would make it less easy to do. We may need a modified version of the signal.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 15:29 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I have to say I've thought of this myself in the past, as there are some situations where it could be useful, such as roundabouts where 80% of the flow takes Exit 1.

But it wouldn't stop the basic problem of people either not indicating at all, or indicating incorrectly Sad

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 16:04 
Life Member
Life Member

You could automate it and the gps could do the indicating for them.... :lol:

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 17:05 
User

Bad idea. I regularly ignore my GPS on occasions where I think I know better (eg. if it tries to take me anywhere within a half mile radius of the current Watermead roadworks where the A413 comes into Aylesbury)

Post subject: lights
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 17:56 

what happens with this if a headlight / tail light is out thus making a car going straight look like a motorcyle turning left / right?

Post subject: Re: lights
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 19:41 
User

overfinch 630R wrote:
what happens with this if a headlight / tail light is out thus making a car going straight look like a motorcyle turning left / right?

Pretty much the same as what happens now if a Peugeot 206 or similar car (ie. one with the indicators on the inside of the headlights) has a headlight out. It looks like a motorbike turning the other way.

I would hope that my straight ahead indicator would be sufficiently far from the headlights that it would not be mistaken for a headlight though. Even the Goldwing has the indicators closer than than.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 03:27 

Great idea but the good drivers would use it but the muppets wouldn't, so we still have the same problem.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 13:39 
User

Safety Engineer wrote:
Great idea but the good drivers would use it but the muppets wouldn't, so we still have the same problem.

The point is you will be able to make a clear distinction between a muppet not indicating, and a good driver who is actually going straight ahead.

This info could affect whether you enter the roundabout ot not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 17:45 
New User
New User

My thought was that you want to have an lights next to the indicator lights, but a different colour (e.g. green) to indicate straight ahead. This way your planned direction of travel would be indicated to road users all around you. I think such an indicator should be considered non-essential, so it would help you to make your driving safer, but would not need retro-fitting to older cars. The muppets wouldn't use it anyway, so it's then just trying to maximise the information available about the likely actions of surrounding road users.