Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 01:05 
Site Admin

Converntional wisdom is that the driving test 'ensures basic competence'. But I'm starting to wonder if it does any such thing.

The real learning of the vital skills mostly comes after the driving test. (The 'vital skills' being: Observation, anticipation, planning, risk recognition, risk management.)

Clearly highly incompetent drivers sometimes pass the (really rather brief) driving test.

Clearly the driving test has quite a bit of focus on method rather than skill or safety. And how important is 'method' really?

Passing the driving test gives the message that you have the skills required to drive for the rest of your life. But that's just rubbish. It doesn't seem smart to risk giving this false message.

At the VERY LEAST we should start to teach that a driving test pass is nothing more than the first rung on the ladder of a driving career.

Is it possible that there's a better way to 'gatekeep' our roads from new drivers? Or a completely different kind of driving test?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 08:26 
Life Member
Life Member

How about (long shot this) making driving instructors impartial agents of the state, and make the lessons the test, i.e. coursework instead of an exam?

If the impartiality of the instructor could be guaranteed by putting him/her on a salary, then he/she would just pass you when you were good and ready.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 09:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Johnnytheboy wrote:
How about (long shot this) making driving instructors impartial agents of the state, and make the lessons the test, i.e. coursework instead of an exam?

If the impartiality of the instructor could be guaranteed by putting him/her on a salary, then he/she would just pass you when you were good and ready.

I like this - and wish it could work. however, the percentage of passes would sadly be dependent on the throughput - the greater the backlog the greater the pass rate. It would dumb down the "exam".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 09:43 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:

Like the "Good Old Days"

This is pretty much happened when My Grandmother learned to drive. She had about 10-15 hours of training and then the instructor said "Your on your own now!"

If this doesnt seem like much it is worth noting that around the same time young Men were given about the same level of training in aircraft before being sent out over Flanders to be shot at by the Red Baron!

Having said that.It didnt seem to do her any harm. In 60 years (!) of driving she only had one accident when she was rear ended by a :bib:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:57 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

AFAIR, the last western european country to introduce driving test was Belgium. There figures indicated a considerable reduction in fatalities after that so perhaps even poor testing is better than none?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:01 
Suspended
Suspended

Location: Ignoring the mental pygmies (and there are a lot of them here)

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:20 
Site Admin

prof beard wrote:
AFAIR, the last western european country to introduce driving test was Belgium. There figures indicated a considerable reduction in fatalities after that so perhaps even poor testing is better than none?

Sure. This is brainstorming.

But maybe there's a whole new approach based on some sort of psychological profiling?

People with the right 'attitude' could be given a full licence to go and get on with it.

People with the wrong 'attitude' could be sent to targetted training designed to make up for their specific shortfalls.

Maybe. I haven't got anywhere close to making a proposal, and I've always had a lot of faith in the driving test system. But maybe we can do much much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:25 
Suspended
Suspended

Location: Ignoring the mental pygmies (and there are a lot of them here)

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:45 
Site Admin

FJSRiDER wrote:
There was some research into accidents after 'advanced' (IIRC) training and they found that those trained were more likely to have one!

Yeah. There's quite a lot like that. I think it has been proven that if you give people more skills in areas like car handling, they will tend to go out and use them to get into trouble. Often training has delivered more confidence than necessary skills.

And in most countries 'advanced training' is a proving ground / car handling course. And it simply doesn't work to reduce crash rates.

But I believe 'real' advanced training (in COAST type skills) to be hugely effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Quote:
This is brainstorming.

But maybe there's a whole new approach based on some sort of psychological profiling?

I like this a lot. However, a written paper wouldn't work, as the correct answers would soon get to be known. I wonder if "leaving school" profiles could be used retrospectively to grade the degree of driving test required?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:03 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Deleted duplicate post. I like it, but not that much :twisted: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 15:25 

An idle thought on driving tests: How about getting the insurance companies to carry out the driving tests? That would do away with the ridiculous quota system (one would hope) Clearly there would need to be common standards but the companies could grade their tests dependent on the vehicle type, and one could not move on without having passed the more lowly tests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 15:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Right --first - lets get back to basics -

The Driving tuition industry has been makinfg a fortune out of "PASSING THE TEST"
After my daughter passed her test i has occasion to drive her somewhere - roundabouts - DVLA instructions - STOP (her instructor s advice - look/ judge and if safe carry on ) ---same as IAM ,i believe - certainly same as practiced by all drivers i see .

Just one example of where the instructors have to give out bad advice ----

SO WHERE IS THE LINK BETWEEN GOOD DRIVING PRACTICE AND THE DSA???

Just where are the DVLA drivimg off a short pier??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 15:29 
User

The current system is definately about passing the test. I don't remember being taught even the most fundemental basics like the 2 second rule.

Something I've often thought about is this:
The preliminary 'pass' grants you a provisional entitlement under which you have restrictions to vehicle power/weight ratio, road class (no motorway driving), the time of day you can drive etc and must display P plates at all times. (I DON'T agree with speed restrictions like the ones seen in NI)

Before you can move on you must sit a second test - well more of an observed drive than a test. No menoeuvers (sp?) no emergency stop or any of that crap, just an observation of general driving skill. You must prove that you have learned and improved since the original test and have gained an understanding of road craft, observation and forward planning that is not acheiveable in the short space of time that you take your initial training in. Basically you must show that you have improved you skills. If this observed test is passed then you gain full entitlement.

If you do not 'convert' your provisional licence within a set period (say 2 years) then it is revoked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 15:31 
User

Oh also, I think examiners in general should be expected to practise a little common sense rather than being so pedantic. If the student shows good general driving, but misses a gear shift or a signal or something minor then they shouldn't be penalised for it. There are plenty of situations out there that aren't actually covered by the HC and examiners must recognise that fact - as long as the student has acted safely and tried their best to comunicate to other road users what they are up to then I don't think the student should be marked down.