Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:33 
User

Hello everyone,
Josie at Lichfield has asked me to pass this info over to anyone/everyone.

RoadPeace Wood
Annual Gathering and short Ceremony of Remembrance

For those who are affected by death and injury on the road

SATURDAY 13TH AUGUST 2005

1.30pm for 2.00pm start

In the Conference Room of
National Memorial Arboretum
Alrewas,
Nr Burton upon Trent,
Staffordshire

Parking and Disabled Access Available

Further details available from
Josie Boughton on 01543 410897

Refreshments will be available from 1.30pm
ORDER OF PROCEDING AND CEREMONY

1.30pm – 2.00pm arrivals and refreshments
Welcome and Introduction by Josie Boughton
Josie. It is good to see so many of you here again this year.
I am the Secretary of Lichfield RoadPeace and am pleased to tell you that we are setting up a support group which will meet on the second Saturday of each month, 10.30am – 12.30pm. in the Curborough Community Centre, Reynolds Close, off Weston Road, Lichfield. This will be a self-help bereavement support group but there will be an opportunity later in the year to learn about Stress Management, and Assertiveness.
If you are not a member of RoadPeace, please consider joining. RoadPeace is funded by membership subscription and private donations; we do not receive any money from Government at the moment. The higher our membership numbers the louder our voice will sound in the corridors of power when we lobby for a fairer justice system in respect of road crash victims.
I would at this point like to thank the staff of the Arboretum for making us feel so welcome and the catering staff for serving us with the refreshments, which have been sponsored by the solicitors Irwin Mitchell of Birmingham.
I would also like to thank Bell Lax, solicitors of Sutton Coldfield for sponsoring the sound system we are using today.
And also to thank Valerie Wood who has prepared and will officiate at our Ceremony of Remembrance
I would now like to introduce Sandra Green, Chairman of Lichfield RoadPeace, who will tell you about the beginnings of the RoadPeace Wood here at the Arboretum.
Sandra Green.
Thank you Sandra and now Julia Wright will tell you about sponsoring a tree in the Wood.
Julia Wright.
Thank you Julia,
May I now introduce Brigitte Chaudry RoadPeace President and Secretary who is going to let you know about the other types of memorials RoadPeace has instituted
Namely Internet Memorial
Road side Remember Me Signs
Gardens of Remembrance
Proposed Permanent Memorial in London.
.(If no one from London can make the Gathering, Josie will talk about the above.)
Thank you Brigitte
May I now introduce Valerie Wood who will conduct our short Ceremony of Remembrance.

Remembrance Ceremony for Roadpeace Gathering
VALERIE: May I extend a warm welcome to you all and my hope that you will derive some comfort and support from the proceedings here today. I have been asked to conduct a short ceremony to remember and to honour those whose lives have been brought to an end through incidents on our roads and especially those dear to you. The names of those we have been asked to mention today will be read out at intervals throughout this ceremony. This is not a religious ceremony and I am officiating as a Humanist. There will, however, be some moments later in the ceremony when you can each think your own thoughts and anyone who wishes to can use those moments for their own private prayers.
We will begin with a short poem about remembrance by Mary Coleridge.
It is read for us now by JOSIE:
Some hang above the tombs,
Some weep in empty rooms,
I, when the iris blooms,
Remember.
I, when the cyclamen
Opens her buds again,
Rejoice a moment – then
Remember.

JOSIE TO READ NAMES
SHORT ADDRESS BY VALERIE
ENDING WITH FOLLOWING EXTRACT FROM POEM `THE EXISTENCE OF LOVE' BY MARJORIE PIZER:
I had thought that your death Was a waste and a destruction, A pain of grief hardly to be endured.
I am only beginning to learn
That your life was a gift and a growing
And a loving left with me.
The fact of death
Cannot destroy what has been given.
I am learning to look at your life again
Instead of your death and your departing.

SANDRA TO READ NAMES
VALERIE: We will now hear the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra play Eric Satie's `Gymnopedie Number One'. While this music is playing you have the opportunity to think your own thoughts and remember the ones you have lost in your own way. Anyone with religious faith may like to use these moments for his or her own private and silent prayers.
JULIA TO READ NAMES

VALERIE: Steven Cummins was a soldier who met a sudden and untimely death when he was killed on active service in Northern Ireland. A poem was found in an envelope, which he had left for his parents to be opened in the event of his death. The following is an adaptation of that poem and it is read for us now by SANDRA:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there.
I do not sleep. I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circle flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
If with love you remember, I shall not die.

VALERIE: We will now walk down to the Roadpeace Wood and after the oak leaves have been buried there I will bring this ceremony to an end.
ALL WALK TO ROADPEACE WOOD WHERE OAK LEAVES ARE BURIED
VALERIE: I will now bring this ceremony to an end with the following wishes to each of you:
When you are lonely I wish you love.
When you are down I wish you joy.
When you are troubled I wish you peace.
When things are difficult I wish you simple beauty.
When things are chaotic I wish you inner calm.
When things look empty I wish you hope.

Profile Send private message