Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 08:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:08 
User

Please anyone advise me!
Today i received a NIP stating that i was doing 81mph on the M4 motorway between junc.29 -30, there are roadworks going on in that area and the camera that flashed me was the one just at the beginning of the 50mph restriction, but in the restriction!
It was 1am and i had already been driving for 3 hours from Essex, i was not tired but driving in more of an "auto pilot" sence if you know what i mean, i was very much aware of any dangers and ready to react, but for some reason i was just not concentrating on the 50mph road signs, so i do admit to be guilty. so in principle i was doing 11mph over the speed limit for normal motorway driving, but because of the roadworks and the 50mph limit, this ended up being 31mph over.
I feel such a fool!
Just to mention also, last december i was court doing 40 in a 30 and had to pay £60 plus 3 points, will that go against me this time?
what will happen next? will i get a £60 fine and a further 3 points or is this much more serious and if so, what could the outcome be?
I have had a clean licence for about 20 years untill this happened!

please advise me, im quite scared now!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 20:23 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I don’t wish to make you feel more scared but I fear I will.

For that much over the speed limit you can expect a court summons. Ordinarily that will mean up to 6 points for it and a bigger fine - you won’t face a ban. If you have any dependents you may wish to mention this to the court as it might help with mitigation (increased premium). However, if you do get the full 6 points for it then you'll be just one more offence from facing a ban from totting up - that's when you really should be scared. What will really fry you is that scameras do nothing for road safety, check this out. That's our road safety policy for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 22:13 
Suspended
Suspended

My advice is observe stick to the limit AND KEEP YOURSELF, THE ROADWORKERS AND OTHER MOTORISTS SAFE, ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 22:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:
My advice is observe stick to the limit AND KEEP YOURSELF, THE ROADWORKERS AND OTHER MOTORISTS SAFE, ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!

You assume too much. It was 1 am, so:
- there could have been few or no other motorists on the road (in close proximity)
- there may have been no roadworkers

Now that's not rocket science!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 22:48 
User

I forgot to mention, and after thinking about the situation, i remember i was in the proccess of over taking a lorry, which just happened to be the only other vehcle on the road in that area, and come to think of it, it could well have blocked my view to the 50mph signs, also the camera (or should i call them "scameras") was only about 1/4 of a mile into the 50mph zone. and there were no road workers, infact only my headlights and the lorries were on, so in my view i posed no danger to anyone, if i had seen road work flood lights and work going on, i would have naturally slowd down realising i was in a low speed zone.

ok so i was doing 11mph more than i should have been on a motorway, but i honestly thought i was still in a 70mph zone, could anyone really belive i would do 81mph if i was knowingly in a 50mph zone with scameras as if i wanted to get flashed?, im not that bad, i admit i often drive at about 10 or 20% above the speed limit (dont most of us?), but in this case i was about 60% above, and this was clearly unintended.

funny when you type in the word "speed cameras" into google and select the whole web, you only get hits from uk websites! dosnt that tell you something about this country! im starting to wonder if its just the uk that has scameras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 23:29 

Martin68 wrote:
I forgot to mention, and after thinking about the situation, i remember i was in the proccess of over taking a lorry, which just happened to be the only other vehcle on the road in that area, and come to think of it, it could well have blocked my view to the 50mph signs,

There should have been signs on both sides of the carriageway so if you can prove the r/h sign was missing you would have a defence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 21:14 
User

i was down there in the summer from memory there were 2 / 3 cameras heading westbound

Quote:
Homer

There should have been signs on both sides of the carriageway so if you can prove the r/h sign was missing you would have a defence.

good point, i would ask for evidence, under the motorway regs don't there have to be advance warning signs as well ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 00:47 
User

How many lanes were restricted?
I noticed in April on the M25/M1 that some of the road works where a lane had been coned off, were in fact back to three lanes, with only the hard shoulder coned off - but they had left the cameras and 40 mph speed limit in place.
I too was travelling in the early hours, and it was difficult not to drive at an appropriate speed which was of course completely safe, endangered no one... but was illegal.

You'll have to forgive safetyman - he believes water is actually ICE which has not frozen yet, and is therefore liable to drown you. :shock:

If he had his way, buckets of water would have a government safety warning on, to prevent people sticking their heads in and drowning... and it would probably work too! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 06:59 
Life Member
Life Member

On one of the cases there were contractors employed to install and maintain the signs.
The contractors did not maintain the signs or keep a record of thier work. The contractors log was ordered via the court and was found to be severly lacking. Was this folly bottom?

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 07:06 
Life Member
Life Member

One more point for safetyman is that the excessive number of long roadwork sections his lot install on the M4 for revenue are very tough on motorists alertness. driving 3 miles of cones then a gap and then another 3 miles of cones is very soporific. Often there is next to nowt being done. If you are really interested in road safety you have to consider the whole journey not linking five roadworks jobs together with three workers to save costs

Having done the trip to wales far too often and been through 12 sections of this in a day they have made a 4 hour trip take 5 hours but feel like it took 7 hours.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 09:45 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
You'll have to forgive safetyman - he believes water is actually ICE which has not frozen yet, and is therefore liable to drown you. :shock:

Maybe I'm being thick here, but I don't get the irony.

I think we all sometimes forget the dangers of DHMO

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 19:52 
Suspended
Suspended

"funny when you type in the word "speed cameras" into google and select the whole web, you only get hits from uk websites! dosnt that tell you something about this country! im starting to wonder if its just the uk that has scameras"

The next plane for............leaves Gatwick in 5 minuits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 16:58 
Suspended
Suspended

Today i received a NIP stating that i was doing 81mph on the M4 motorway .

presume too much I presumed that you were 70mph over the limit, if you cant stick to the law take the consequences

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 17:13 

safetyman wrote:

Safetyman, can you please learn how to use the QUOTE feature? I'm sure you didn't mean to post the above as if it happened to you. :lol:

You can either hit the 'quote' button at the top right of the post you wish to quote OR you can cut and paste the bit you want to quote then surround it with {quote} {/quote} (with square brackets instead of the lovely curly ones) if you're not replying to their whole post.

If you want to attribute the quote to the OP (original poster) then include the OP's name in the opening quote square brackets thusly {quote="someone I'm about to patronise"}why not try sticking to the speed limit for a change{/quote}.

Actually, you could cut down on your typing quite a lot if you just copied the above into word, changed the { and } to [and ] and just pasted it in every time you hit reply. :roll:

Or perhaps you'd like to join in with an adult discussion rather than posting the same sentence all over the forum?

*holds breath*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 18:05 
Suspended
Suspended

Hey thats just like at university, do I need a reference and bibliography as well??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 18:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You went to University? Was this in the UK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 18:08 

safetyman wrote:
Hey thats just like at university, do I need a reference and bibliography as well??
It's merely courtesy, assuming you expect other people to read and understand your posts.

Unless you really did mean
safetyman wrote:
since that's what your post said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 18:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

safetyman wrote:

safetyman who seems to be implying that he went to uni recently wrote:
No fundementaly the polocy is good, However it is underuse, If speed cameras were more widley used, mobile and desreate 10000's more people would be caught and hence slow down Accident rates would then plummett.

If car manufacturers were forced to speed restrict thier cars Accident rates would plummet, bigger more expensive (and more profitable) car sales would plummet, thats why the rulers dont take this option they have spare workers to kill and profits to maintain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 19:20 
Suspended
Suspended

hey it was the best uni in the north, was caretaker for 5 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 00:04 
User

safetyman wrote:
hey it was the best uni in the north, was caretaker for 5 years