Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 15:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Potential police cock up
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:18 
New User
New User

Hi, a few months ago A friend of mine was caught speeding on a motorway and was offered a £60 fine with 3 points.

After a few months he recieved a summons from court. In the papers sent to him, contains a witness statement from the police officer in charge of that speed camera. There is a cock up in the witness statement, as the road stated is different and has no connection to the road that this alledged offense took place.

My friend has not pleaded yet and has 5 days to do so. Does anyone think he has a case as this witness statement has alot of bearing. Lets say he pleaded not guilty in court, would he be let off because the witness statement is wrong?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 21:07 
User

thomasmutton wrote:
Hi, a few months ago A friend of mine was caught speeding on a motorway and was offered a £60 fine with 3 points.

After a few months he recieved a summons from court. In the papers sent to him, contains a witness statement from the police officer in charge of that speed camera. There is a cock up in the witness statement, as the road stated is different and has no connection to the road that this alledged offense took place.

My friend has not pleaded yet and has 5 days to do so. Does anyone think he has a case as this witness statement has alot of bearing. Lets say he pleaded not guilty in court, would he be let off because the witness statement is wrong?

Thanks

Hi

First . did he accept the Fixed Penalty? If he did not ..then this mightexplain the summons.

If the wordiing is differerent . could be a clerical error and my initial thoughts are

1. Get your pal to seek professional adivice. CAB/ABD or local library will give you details as to experts and free consults.

2. Visit the pepippo site (google will lead you to it :wink: )

3. You need a decent solictor to argue the toss over the witness statement's content .. whatever it says here. Rule of thumb.. fight the law with the law. You need a brief. Get fingers typing on the pepipoo site and the CAB sites for list of local briefs to help in the court and mitigate for best outcome here if guilty.

Cannot advise fairer :wink:

Good Luck!

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.