The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 09:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speeding Fine Help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 21:13 
New User
New User

Firstly thanks in advance for any help.

My wife got a speeding ticket which I dealt with under a conditional offer so sent off her license and the payment for the fine. However, the postage was under by 6p and they refused to accept delivery!

So it is returned to her, and due to the speedy Royal Mail we get it 2 months later - obviously outside of the 28 day limit.

My wife is currently giving me a right earful (even though it was she who posted it)....can any one help me out by telling me what will happen next and put our minds at ease before the morning?

Will we still be able to accept the conditional offer, or will they start proceedings against her?

I know it is her responsibility to make sure the license and fine payment got there - but do you think the system will be human and understand?!

Thanks...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 21:29 
Site Admin

The system won't be 'human and understanding'. But since the underlying objective is to get the fines paid it probably can be persuaded to fulfil its objectives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 23:39 
User

All you can do is call them. As Paul states all they want is their money with the least hassle possible so since you have a good explanation, it should be possible to persuade them to "suspend" the case, giving you another 14 days to get the payment in. I would suggest using recorded delivery.

Worst case scenario is it will end up in court. I've been in that situation for a similar reason (7 day producer+speeding ticket issued on a friday evening, called DVLA on monday, replacement licence arrived saturday) I went to the court pled guilty and explained this and was given the exact same penalty with no costs awarded. So long as you don't turn up looking like a pikey you should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 06:40 
User

Lum wrote:
All you can do is call them. As Paul states all they want is their money with the least hassle possible so since you have a good explanation, it should be possible to persuade them to "suspend" the case, giving you another 14 days to get the payment in. I would suggest using recorded delivery.

Worst case scenario is it will end up in court. I've been in that situation for a similar reason (7 day producer+speeding ticket issued on a friday evening, called DVLA on monday, replacement licence arrived saturday) I went to the court pled guilty and explained this and was given the exact same penalty with no costs awarded. So long as you don't turn up looking like a pikey you should be fine.

May I make a distinction here for future reference.
RECORDED mail is only recorded when it is delivered IF it is delivered. The rest of the time it is simply chucked in with the ordinary mail.

GUARANTEED delivery is the option you need when it simply should not go missing. It is carried separately, and tracked all the way using the barcode, AND is delivered next day before 1.00 pm.
It is a lot more expensive, but if TIME is of the essence rather than simply proving it was delivered, I suggest it is good value, and in a few cases, essential.
And the other important thing is KEEP THE SLIPS AND RECEIPTS as they can be used in court to show that unlike the SCP's, YOU took every reasonable care to ensure delivery, or used to berate the Royal Mail if they get lost!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 15:28 
User

I suggest "W2B" contact the Prat Agency to explain what happen. Presumably he has the "undelivered letter with the sticky of explanation" to prove this oversight. It probably because she put in big envelope und perhaps it weigh a fraction over with the licence und any other bumph within it.

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Lum wrote:

May I make a distinction here for future reference.
RECORDED mail is only recorded when it is delivered IF it is delivered. The rest of the time it is simply chucked in with the ordinary mail.

Ernest ist right. Recorded/registered does not guarantee delivery as it go in the normal post. It even can arrive later if they sort to get the signature too. :roll:

Quote:
GUARANTEED delivery is the option you need when it simply should not go missing. It is carried separately, and tracked all the way using the barcode, AND is delivered next day before 1.00 pm.
It is a lot more expensive, but if TIME is of the essence rather than simply proving it was delivered, I suggest it is good value, and in a few cases, essential.
And the other important thing is KEEP THE SLIPS AND RECEIPTS as they can be used in court to show that unlike the SCP's, YOU took every reasonable care to ensure delivery, or used to berate the Royal Mail if they get lost!

ja und if you want to send ordinary mail .. but need proof of postage .. you can get this by handing letter over counter to staff.

But for anything important und of value .. it best to use "Special" for that peace of mind.

But sigh.. we should still be able to trust the post office with this mail. Were they on strike or recovering from strike at the time?

Ach.. I mis-read .. post refused to send or Prat refused to pay the postage surcharge. Usually they write to the sender und ask him to pay a small fine to "pay for admin" und then deliver. :confused:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 18:39 
Banned
Banned

SafeSpeed wrote:
The system won't be 'human and understanding'. But since the underlying objective is to get the fines paid it probably can be persuaded to fulfil its objectives.

All the system can do is work on when the letter arrived - they probably get lots of people who 'claim' they sent their fines in when they really didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 20:13 
Life Member
Life Member

Is that your most random post yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 03:13 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Is that your most random post yet?

Don't blame him, Johnny! When his mother was carry him, she was flashed. By a Gatso, and, well, he is the unfortunate result of this. :roll: