Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 20:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 16:58 
New User
New User

Hey people, i was in Scotland in a temporary 30 (should be a 40mph) doing 57 according to the hand held police camera, there was no warning of them being there as they were out of the car which was hidden in a turn off, is it legal for them to be there without warnings, it just seems that they were there because of drivers not remembering it was roadworks as there was not any works traffic around.

cheers

ross

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 17:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

granty7 wrote:
there was no warning of them being there as they were out of the car which was hidden in a turn off, is it legal for them to be there without warnings

Yes, it is completely legal. The SCP staff used to have to display some warning signs in order to allow them to recover their operating costs from their sites, that rule has been lifted; the police have never been subjected to such a rule.

Post subject: cheers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 18:50 
New User
New User

thanks smeggy, was pretty sure i had no chance but had to ask, consolation was that the cop was pretty good, saying if it had been a 40 he would have let me off with a warning and seemed unhappy about the temporary 30 being in place as there was no roadworks going on in that area at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 18:51 

Not fine, but ban?

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Post subject: Re: cheers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 20:19 

granty7 wrote:
thanks smeggy, was pretty sure i had no chance but had to ask, consolation was that the cop was pretty good, saying if it had been a 40 he would have let me off with a warning and seemed unhappy about the temporary 30 being in place as there was no roadworks going on in that area at all.

Hmm. If he was unhappy then why was he enforcing there at all (unless he'd been told to)?

What is the speed limit on that stretch of road normally? I'm pretty sure that exceeding a temporary speed limit is a non-endorsable offence, if the temporary speed limit overrides a non-NSL speed limit. (Don't ask me why!) I can't remember ever driving through such a setup, but with more and more NSLs being permanently reduced, there's more and more chance of it happening.

"The freedom provided by the motor vehicle is not universally applauded, however: there are those who resent the loss of state control over individual choice that the car represents. Such people rarely admit their prejudices openly; instead, they make false or exaggerated claims about the adverse effects of road transport in order to justify calls for higher taxation or restrictions on mobility." (Conservative Way Forward: Stop The War Against Drivers)

Post subject: normal limit
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 21:48 
New User
New User

I turned off the main A9 dual carriageway at Ballainluig in Perthshire on the road to Aberfeldy which has roadworks at the moment and is reduced to 30mph and went through the village at 30mph, then out of the village the nsl would normally be 50mph. at about a mile out of the village there is a 40mph sign on approaching a 'T' junction which has had a few accidents, they have put up 3 x 30mph signs after the village for some roadworks which i cannot see all the way to the 40mph sign, the cop was about a quarter of a mile out of the village and looked like he was put there to catch out as many unsure motorists as he could