Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:18 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I guess from his disappearance that the OP was sounding out about a potential "fast one" and, hopefully, thought the better of it.

As a youngster though (well until I got married actually!), I did have an "any driver" policy - for precisely the reason mentioned. I used to enjoy many an evening down the pub. Most nights I stuck to the 2 pints and lemonade thereafter. However, every so often I enjoyed more - but always found a willing other driver at the end of the night or picked the car up the following day.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:02 
Supporter
Supporter

Quote:
Most nights I stuck to the 2 pints

Two whole pints. Tut tut. :D

In my youth my car spent more time on the pub car park than in the garage. Stop for a quick one on the way home from work and one leads to another leads to another leads ....

My insurance, from SAG has a clause allowing any licenced person to drive in a medical emergency involving the policy holder. I wonder if "coming over all drunk" would meet that criterion :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:15 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Two whole pints... I am a big lad... and then there were three whole hours and loads of lemonade to pump it through. Certain I never did the wrong thing in that era (if I overstepped it the keys went in another's pocket during the third pint - or behind the bar for collection the following day).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:46 
Supporter
Supporter

Sorry Roger. I was jokingly chiding you, not in terms of drink-driving, but because you were exceeding the recommended safe alcohol intake. :evil:

You might detect a hint of irony there and you would be right because I have just been re-reading this http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article2698024.ece which shows that the so called safe limits were not based on any research whatsoever.

More recent research by the WHO contradicts the figures and certainly accords with my own experience. But if the government is going to publish such self evident twaddle why should we trust anything else they say?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 13:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

:) I actully did detect the irony. However, it is an issue that is serious and I wanted a "for the avoidance of doubt" bit ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 14:05 
Supporter
Supporter

Roger wrote:
:) I actully did detect the irony. However, it is an issue that is serious and I wanted a "for the avoidance of doubt" bit ;)

Yes. For the record I limit myself to 3 units when driving - one pint of decent ale.