Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 18:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 18:23 
Life Member
Life Member

there are NO repeater signs in a 30 limit lit with street lamps. The only signs are terminal signs entering the 30 limit.

Unless you can find fault you are going to have to pay up.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 19:48 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

anton wrote:
there are NO repeater signs in a 30 limit lit with street lamps. The only signs are terminal signs entering the 30 limit.

Unless you can find fault you are going to have to pay up.

is this an ADMISSION the only plausable defence against a speeding charge is incorrect signage,

what about the individuals you have given advice to saying the camera is wrong, the operator is mis using the camera, the error trapping of the camera is wrong, or were you just using these individuals as guinea pigs

i can foresee a few letters going in to the small claims court

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 23:00 

You might get some better advice over on PePiPoo where there are more people who like the legal side of things. :)

From what I understand a road with street lamps (more than 3, spaced correctly, etc.) has a 30 limit on by default.
Also, speed limits must be signed correctly.

But once you are inside the street lighted area there is the assumption that you have worked out that it's a "built-up area" so signage problems at the start of the area won't help you. Or that is what I understand from reading a post on PePiPoo's forums from someone who seems to know what they are talking about.

It may well depend on which law/act they have charged you with. Or it may not. :)

I would be interested to find out what the British Standard mentioned in the law contains, and if the lamps meet that standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 23:43 
Life Member
Life Member

No camera opperator. The chap admitted he was doing 40. He believed it was a 40 limit.
I am tired, can't be bovvered to argue tonight. TTFN

I suppose he should also get a copy of the traffic order from the council and check the location of the terminal signs.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code