Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:04 
User

Posting this in case anyone needs some information after receiving a NIP.

The speed limits on the Rainford bypass between the A580 East Lancs Road and the M58 have theoretically been changed over the weekend. It's only a theoretical change as the contractors responsible for putting up the signs have made the new limit unenforceable by making a complete dog's dinner of the signage.

Issues include:

Less than 100 yards after the new :60: sign, a :nsl: repeater.
Several :nsl: signs within the theoretical :60: zone
Most incompetently of all, one of the :60: signs has been placed upside down ... unless the intention is for a 9 mph speed limit?

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 15:35 
Life Member
Life Member

When I saw that you'd started a thread in "Help..." I thought they'd got you!

:o

I should have known better!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 17:12 
User

nope, not me, my license is still in it's pristine condition (touches wood). The fact that I'm known as "captain slow" may be something to do with that!

Having read up a bit more, I believe the terminal signs are also incorrectly sited.

I've emailed the council to ask for their reasoning behind the change in the limit. It's not that I am really that bothered by the change - I'm annoyed that they can't even do the signs correctly - but I would like to understand what they were thinking. It's really quite a quiet road, compared with (say) the adjoining A580 East Lancs road.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 22:32 
Site Admin

Have you got photos of all this ?
... and a photo that also shows the front of a Main Newspaper to prove the date ..... Plus any references from the Council about confirmation of the application to change the limit and approval for whatever length of road that it is meant to apply to ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 17:36 
User

Sorry - I didn't get chance to get the photographs. Kept forgetting to take my camera, my phone camera isn't really up to the job.

Anyway, they appear to have fixed the signage now. I say "appear to", as some of the side roads didn't seem to have terminal signs where they join the A570, but I will check tonight.

I'm still waiting for a response to my email asking what thought process had been used to decide on the reduced limit; I'm not particularly bothered about the reduced limit per se - I calculated that driving at 60 rather than 70 will add a maximum of 18 seconds to my journey (assuming that I reach the speed limit immediately on joining the road) - but I do think the council should be able to give valid reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 19:50 
User

I wouldn,t hold your breath on getting a satisfactory response from the clowns at the council as you are probably aware of the total cock-up they made at the "Windle Island traffic lights" when they reduced 4 lanes to 3 for traffic crossing / using the East Lancs Rd.

A classic example of "congestion engineering" :thumbsdown: :loco: :loco: by some half baked idiot at the council, as all it has done is create a bottleneck at the lights / junction which starts at about 7am and lasts for the rest of the day as drivers (who know the junction well) come down the outside and try and jump the qeue to cross the east lancs rd!

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut