Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 03:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 22:16 
New User
New User

Heres the full story (skip to the end if you can't be bothered to read it all, my main questions are there);

Yesterday, i drove on my own for the first time. I went to the place i wanted to go to with no hastle.
On my way back home, i went along this road; it was a 30, but i went over 30 (thinking it was a 40, because the traffic was getting way ahead of me, and the road looks like one you'd do 40 on), anyway, then i saw the repeater signs on the road with the speed camera symbol. I slowed down to 30. I was worried about if i'd gone through a speed camera when i was above 30, i went back around and checked and the camera was far ahead of when i slowed down.

The problem comes when i get home. I realise that there was a camera on the opposite side as well, and i went the same way on the journey there.
Now i'm getting paranoid that i may have been doing greater than 30 on the way down; because i can't remember mentally noting that there was a speed camera on the way down (which granted, may just be my driving, i seem to 'zone in' to my driving; i don't have a good memory when it comes to my journeys, so theres a good chance that nothing happened, as i didn't register anything as memorable).

So here are my questions;

1) In daylight, do the Gatso cameras (the ones which take pictures of the back of your car) flash brightly?

2) If the above question is true, will i see that flash in my rear view mirror? Even if i wasn't looking directly into my rear view mirror, is it something that catches your eye and makes you thing "what the hell was that?"?

3) If the above questions aren't in my favour; what is the penalty for speeding? In terms of points (also how many points do you have before you get your license revoked), and in terms of cash?

4) Does a speeding violation affect your renewal quote on your insurance much?

5) If my log book thing hasn't been totally processed yet, will the fine go to the person who previously owned the car? (It's a relative btw)

P.S. I'm sorry if this seems trivial, it's just that when i get something into my head, i can't get it out until it's resolved; which is really not the best thing when you're trying to revise for exams. Also, i run through countless scenarios; trying to piece together information to remember what i did; but alot of the time my mind creates things and seeds delusions and then i just get disproportionately worked up. So thanks to anyone who reads/answers this post, because telling someone about it and being able to ask questions really helps me to feel better.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 08:38 
Life Member
Life Member

:welcome:

1. Yes, but you'd have to be watching your mirrors to see it.

2. See above.

3. For a minor violation, £60 and 3 points.

4. Shop around, some insurers go nuts, some don't even blink. Admiral tried to add £175 to my renewal quote, then the RAC undercut Admiral's original price.

5. Possibly, yes; they must then name the driver at the time of the incident.

However, here's the good news: most automated speed enforcement has a 'prosecution threshold' that is over the actual speed limit, usually by (10% + 2) mph, i.e. in a 30 limit that's 35 mph. In addition to which, your speedo is not allowed to underestimate your speed by law, so most are set to over-read by 5+% to be safe, so you could have - say - 37 mph on your speedo, and not be pinged by a gatso, even if it actually had film in it, which they don't all have.

None of the above should encourage you to take speed cameras lightly, but there's a better than even chance you will be ok this time. :wink:

If you do get a ticket, can I recommend going to http://www.pepipoo.com/, who are better than us on advising on your legal rights when it comes to receiving a speeding ticket.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 17:06 
User

Cpn. Anon wrote:
On my way back home, i went along this road; it was a 30, but i went over 30 (thinking it was a 40, because the traffic was getting way ahead of me,

This is why speed-activated signs are so much better.

I had a similar scare on the A12. It became a 40mph and I was still going 50mph when I saw a repeater. Needless to say, nothing in the post :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 22:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Never had a camera flash the rear ,seen one flash the rear of a car in front /had one flash me in my face- so yes, most definately think that if you were flashed from behind you'd have seen it .

But have a look at IG article on COAST - (IG is a senior Trafpol :bib:) ---there's a lot to learn there ,specially for a learner -I know - I (AND all of us on here were at one time ) - lots of usefull stuff for a novice - read and digest -it's like an instant pass pluss ,without the cost (AND BTW I'm one of the older ones on here - STILL LEARNING): TIP -if you find it difficult to absorb the road info on signs /keeping a lookout for cameras etc - SLOW DOWN and give you're brain a chance to get used to it all:That way ,you'll be in a position to react to dangers you won't see ,and also keep you below camera enforcement levels till you get more experience to spot them .
BTW - :welcome:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 09:08 
User

Hi there and :welcome:

First of all - it's good that you are thinking about the drive ... and trying to evaluate. It's a skill which develops and whilst you say "you do not have a good memory for journeys" - your post indicates that you subconscious has this running in the background. As you mature as a driver - and go for a Pass Plus and IAM to help this along :wink: - it gets easier and just "clicks into place" for developingly able drivers such as yourself

I have placed a few notes from my own training days on the "Improve site" - I think back in the archives of 2005 ... take a gander and search for "Hendon Notes" and er ... COAST! :lol: (The latter will probably come up with thousands though! :lol: :hehe: But "handy" has been kind enough to put a link in his signature to one of the posts :bow: :drink: mate!)

OK. They have 14 days to notify .. so check with the relative who previously owned the car "just in case".

But to try to re-assure - and keep up some self-confidence a little ...

Cpn. Anon wrote:
Heres the full story (skip to the end if you can't be bothered to read it all, my main questions are there);

Yesterday, i drove on my own for the first time. I went to the place i wanted to go to with no hastle.
On my way back home, i went along this road; it was a 30, but i went over 30 (thinking it was a 40, because the traffic was getting way ahead of me, and the road looks like one you'd do 40 on), anyway, then i saw the repeater signs on the road with the speed camera symbol. I slowed down to 30. I was worried about if i'd gone through a speed camera when i was above 30, i went back around and checked and the camera was far ahead of when i slowed down.

The problem comes when i get home. I realise that there was a camera on the opposite side as well, and i went the same way on the journey there.
Now i'm getting paranoid that i may have been doing greater than 30 on the way down; because i can't remember mentally noting that there was a speed camera on the way down (which granted, may just be my driving, i seem to 'zone in' to my driving; i don't have a good memory when it comes to my journeys, so theres a good chance that nothing happened, as i didn't register anything as memorable).

Your speedo will be out by aprrox 3 mph across the range of speeds. If it is registering 35 mph on the dash - the reality is that the car is at 32 mph. The guideline is 10% +2 mph (and it's more nomal for a Gatso to ping at guideline of 35/36 mph) In my patch - we only have one Gatso :lol: and the enforcement is done the "quaint way" .. by RPU. We prosecute according to professional judgement - do not tolerate "stupid" - and we apply what we consider to be a fair to all policy as regards what we will "tolerate" :wink:... (Professional judgement is always the first stop though :wink:)

So in your case .. you may well have had a speedo read at say 37 mph in a flow such as you describe - and will have been at 34 mph and thus probably safe in reality.

You were in a flow of traffic. Not all have cams in the casings.. Did you note any flash reflect on the rear of the car ahead of you? :scratchchin: (I did see this occur when in London a bit back. He was above 35 mph... but he was in a marked car on pursuit .. :popcorn:)

Quote:
So here are my questions;

1) In daylight, do the Gatso cameras (the ones which take pictures of the back of your car) flash brightly?

2) If the above question is true, will i see that flash in my rear view mirror? Even if i wasn't looking directly into my rear view mirror, is it something that catches your eye and makes you thing "what the hell was that?"?

3) If the above questions aren't in my favour; what is the penalty for speeding? In terms of points (also how many points do you have before you get your license revoked), and in terms of cash?

4) Does a speeding violation affect your renewal quote on your insurance much?

5) If my log book thing hasn't been totally processed yet, will the fine go to the person who previously owned the car? (It's a relative btw)

Johnny has already answered these very well :bow:

You will have to resit the test if you accumulate 6 points within 2 years. The new licence once you pass again successfully will still have the points .. for the duration of 4 years .. which means you still have to be pretty darned careful.

Quote:

P.S. I'm sorry if this seems trivial, it's just that when i get something into my head, i can't get it out until it's resolved; which is really not the best thing when you're trying to revise for exams. Also, i run through countless scenarios; trying to piece together information to remember what i did; but alot of the time my mind creates things and seeds delusions and then i just get disproportionately worked up. So thanks to anyone who reads/answers this post, because telling someone about it and being able to ask questions really helps me to feel better.

Hey :love: ./.. cheer up. It's not the end of the world. I agree the scams are not the best way of ensuring folk keep it legal - (safety is COAST :wink:)

Focus on those exams. As soon as these are out of the way .. take the Pass Plus and see about an IAM> These will give you a confidence boost - and certainly work in your favour on insurance renewals if the "worst happens" - and even then shop around because a lot of insurers are also aware that an SP30 is no longer a reflection of "potential risk" :popcorn:

Do let us know how you get along .. and do join in all our chats. Does not matter if you are a novice driver. You can learn just the same by joining in chats about safe practice etc.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.