Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 03:32 
New User
New User

Hi,

I've been caught overspeeding on 50MPH motorway. Got NIP yesterday. I'm still on provisional license, and yet to clear pratical driving test. I was driving alone when caught for overspeeding. What would be the consequences in my case? Would it be penaly points and fine only, or more drastic?

Would be grateful to receive advise on this matter.

Sincerely
GB

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 07:23 
Life Member
Life Member

there is a chance that you would get points for speeding, points for driving on the motorway and no co-driver
it is possible that these points would run concurrent with each other as they were at the same time.

normally a new driver totting up six points would have to re-sit thier test. However It would not apply to you.
I would not sit your test untill this issue is resolved.

Failing to name the driver would also get you 6 points and a significant fine typicly £300-500.

How fast was the "overspeeding"

I think you need to look hard at yourself and decide how long you are going to keep your licence when you have passed your test :!:

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 07:38 
User

Hmmm.
Seems like 9 points.
The fine will be high as well, not to mention the costs.
The points will remain on your licence for 3 years, the offences for 4.
When you pass your test the excess points doesn't mean you will not get a licence, the procedure is that the 9 points will count towards the 6, and another point (or more) will mean a re-test.
You can only hope your insurance was valid, and I also think you need to examine your attitude towards driving.
A driving licence isn't a right, it's a privilege attained by passing various tests and kept by adhering to a [large] variety of laws.
Bearing in mind that your chances of avoiding the consequences of your actions are getting lower every day.
What with ANPR getting much more prevalent, if the car is registered in your name and you are not legal it is like driving with a large placard above your vehicle:

HI GUYS. RESULT HERE. PLEASE STOP ME AND COLLECT.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 09:15 
User

Were you even insured to be driving alone? (i know you were not) As such this means if you'd crashed the other person would be up shit creak - think about your actions more and dont be so impatient and selfish as to drive before getting your license.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 18:57 
User

to the tune of Steptoe and Son: -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 19:32 
New User
New User

Quote:
How fast was the "overspeeding"

thanks for your response... overpseeding is 59mph...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 19:36 
New User
New User

mmltonge wrote:
Were you even insured to be driving alone? (i know you were not) As such this means if you'd crashed the other person would be up shit creak - think about your actions more and dont be so impatient and selfish as to drive before getting your license.

Although I have not been able to get the full driving license because of not taking the practical test till now, but I have the car insured (comprehensive) and Tax and MOT are all fine... it is only that I'm waiting to take the practical test soon...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 19:39 
User

gb100 wrote:
Although I have not been able to get the full driving license because of not taking the practical test till now, but I have the car insured (comprehensive) and Tax and MOT are all fine... it is only that I'm waiting to take the practical test soon...

If you drive unaccompanied, then you are guilty of "driving otherwise than in accordance with a license" which automatically makes your insurance null & void.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 21:31 
User

unaccompanied on a provisional license ?
motorway on a provisional license ?
speeding ?
uninsured ?

hard to know where to start.

personal preference would be to revoke your license for 6months to a year.... knowing the courts they'll probably give you a packet of smarties and tell you not to be such a naughty boy in future :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:00 
Life Member
Life Member

Despite all that, 59 in a 50 limit's a bit unfortunate. What's the prosecution threshold? 58?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 13:56 
User

gb100 wrote:
mmltonge wrote:

You may well have comprehensive insurance on the car, but with a provisional license your insurance is invalidated the moment you drive it whilst unacompanied by an adult who has had a license for at least 3 years, If I remember correctly - therefore (as much as I disagree with speed cameras) you will deserve what you get. Why go through the effort of getting comprehensive insurance, mot etc if only to then go and invalidate it by being impatient?

---
Note: I'm feeling hostile as my insurance is due for renewal soon, and one of the reasons it costs me so much is those who crash whilst uninsured then cause the other persons insurance company to pay out, forcing up premiums for everyone rather than just those who crash.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 19:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mmltonge wrote:
Note: I'm feeling hostile as my insurance is due for renewal soon, and one of the reasons it costs me so much is those who crash whilst uninsured then cause the other persons insurance company to pay out, forcing up premiums for everyone rather than just those who crash.

Not in dissagreement with you mmltonge but I'm sure they also use that as an excuse to feather their own nest, if you know what I mean? :roll: Just like road tax is for roads etc.... (Not)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Last edited by Big Tone on Wed Jul 09, 2008 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 19:17 
User

gb100 wrote:
Hi,

I've been caught overspeeding on 50MPH motorway. Got NIP yesterday. I'm still on provisional license, and yet to clear pratical driving test. I was driving alone when caught for overspeeding. What would be the consequences in my case? Would it be penaly points and fine only, or more drastic?

Sincerely
GB

Do you mean exceeding the speed limit posted for that section of road? What are you doing on a Motorway with a provisional licence?

When you accept the penalty and pay the fixed ammount and send in your licence to have your points added, they will notice you are a provisional driver, this then leaps you into a whole new territory of pain. No valid insurance( as a provisional driving alone any insurance you have is void) Insurance offences stay on your licence for up to 10yrs, you get heavy fines and a much higher premium when you are able to insure a veh. Also if you drove on a motorway you have committed another offence as learner drivers are not allowed on motorways even under instruction ( other than learners on heavy goods vehs who hold basic full licence) you may even have your provisional taken away from you and made to go through the aplication process again. This could be pretty bad for you if they choose to throw the book at you. Even if you are confused as to what a Motorway is as compared to Dual carriageway it wont make much difference to the hassle you may get. Have you taken the theory test yet? If you have you may even find you have to do that again if they really go for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 20:36 
New User
New User

Herbie J wrote:
gb100 wrote:
Hi,

Sincerely
GB

Do you mean exceeding the speed limit posted for that section of road? What are you doing on a Motorway with a provisional licence?

When you accept the penalty and pay the fixed ammount and send in your licence to have your points added, they will notice you are a provisional driver, this then leaps you into a whole new territory of pain. No valid insurance( as a provisional driving alone any insurance you have is void) Insurance offences stay on your licence for up to 10yrs, you get heavy fines and a much higher premium when you are able to insure a veh. Also if you drove on a motorway you have committed another offence as learner drivers are not allowed on motorways even under instruction ( other than learners on heavy goods vehs who hold basic full licence) you may even have your provisional taken away from you and made to go through the aplication process again. This could be pretty bad for you if they choose to throw the book at you. Even if you are confused as to what a Motorway is as compared to Dual carriageway it wont make much difference to the hassle you may get. Have you taken the theory test yet? If you have you may even find you have to do that again if they really go for you.

Sorry for the goof up... it happened on a dual carriageway and not on motorway... overspeeding was 59mph... I hope this mitigates the seriousness a bit... have booked practical test date now...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 21:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

gb100 wrote:
Sorry for the goof up... it happened on a dual carriageway and not on motorway... overspeeding was 59mph... I hope this mitigates the seriousness a bit... have booked practical test date now...

Umm, depending on the outcome of the court case, you may well have to cancel that ;)

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 07:51 
User

where do people on provisional licenses get the idea its fine for them to drive solo when they feel like it ?

it's not really like you can just 'forget' to take someone with you.

nevermind the speeding, just taking the piss imo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 13:28 
User

gb100 wrote:
Sorry for the goof up... it happened on a dual carriageway and not on motorway... overspeeding was 59mph... I hope this mitigates the seriousness a bit...

Whether it was a motorway or dual carriageway won't make much odds in the way of "seriousness", although it would have earned you another charge if it had been a motorway. You have driven without insurance, without a qualified passenger, and (no doubt) without L plates being displayed either as well as exceeding the posted speed limit.
Even if the magistrates take pity on you and give you the absolute minimum in the way of points for each of those offences, that still takes you through the 12 points barrier.
As Peter has already stated, I have a strong suspicion that you won't be taking your driving test just yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 14:38 

IIRC some learners can drive solo, in vehicles designed to only carry one person, i.e tractors, dump trucks etc.
The OP has tried to be almost legal ie tax, MOT, ins (though probably invalid).
So lets not be TOO hard on him.

He seems to be on the foolish end of criminal rather than downright recklessly/maliciously criminal.

fatboytim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 17:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Question on the insurance angle - would it be totally invalid or reduced to third party

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 20:14 
User

botach wrote:
Question on the insurance angle - would it be totally invalid or reduced to third party

Completely invalidated, as the OP was driving "otherwise than in accordance" with his license.