Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 07:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Speeding courses
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 00:40 
New User
New User

Hi, I received my UK licence last year (I received my full Canadian licence last October). I already have 3 points on my licence from going through a red light. Yesterday I drove through a 30 zone going around 37, at night - but I didnt notice the camera flash (it was on the motorway near City Airport, London). I'm being very paranoid, I know, but if I were to lose my licence I would lose my job.

If I have received my full licence only last year, and I were to be caught speeding, is there any chance you can apply to attend a speeding seminar course? Or does this only apply to people who have been driving longer than 2 years....

Thank you!

PS - Would I have noticed the bright flashes of the camera if I had triggered it? It was quite late at night.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Speeding courses
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:39 
Life Member
Life Member

First off, you would only be in danger of prosecution at 35 or over, and your speedo is probably a little over-reading, so you may not have been going fast enough to trigger the camera.

As for whether you would see two flashes, that depends on the type of camera. If it was your bog-standard Gatso (big rectangular box, wider than it is tall) then yes, you would have seen two flashes. But some types don't flash.

As for speeding courses, these seem to be offered in a fairly scattergun way, but as if you are prosecuted it will only be for a minor infraction, you stand as good a chance as poss. But wait 14 days and see if you get an NIP first!

:)

Post subject: Re: Speeding courses
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 22:21 
User

sztefanie wrote:
Hi, I received my UK licence last year (I received my full Canadian licence last October). I already have 3 points on my licence from going through a red light. Yesterday I drove through a 30 zone going around 37, at night - but I didnt notice the camera flash (it was on the motorway near City Airport, London). I'm being very paranoid, I know, but if I were to lose my licence I would lose my job.

If I have received my full licence only last year, and I were to be caught speeding, is there any chance you can apply to attend a speeding seminar course? Or does this only apply to people who have been driving longer than 2 years....

Thank you!

PS - Would I have noticed the bright flashes of the camera if I had triggered it? It was quite late at night.

You may have been lucky if you did not see the flash.

The bad news is that the DIS/SPeed awares are not offered to probationers (2 year novice who revert to provisional and have to resit the test - each part) If this applies to you -apply to resit immediately. You get a licence with 6 points which means "driving like an :angel: and I recommend Road Angel/pogo to assist on the speed cam issue. :wink: I would also seek an ADI and try IAM for some enhanced obervation skills of such hazards :wink:

Best of luck. Tell us how you fared and no one on here will judge adversely. Chalk to experience. Hope it all works out all the same for you.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.