The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 06:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bassett Green Road
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 21:10 
New User
New User

Please can I have some advice .
I am being prosecuted on this road in Southampton for driving at 36mph in a 30mph area .

However at the time of the offence I was travelling Northbound and there is no stretch of Bassett Green Road which is 30mph North bound . I have got photographic evidence to prove this . Also the reason I am certain that I was travelling Northbound at that time is that I am a GP and was visiting a patient on Stoneham Lane at the time which is at thebottom of Bassett Green Road . The only way I can get back home or to my place of work is by going North bound on this road .
Also in the photographic proof I have been sent it says N 40 . Does this mean 40mph limit North bound ?
R
I am going to contest this as it seems very unfair .

Any advice ?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bassett Green Road
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 21:33 
Life Member
Life Member

Sorry but it is a 30 limit.
There are street lights and no signs indicating any other limit
This person appears to have put a speed limit sign in his van window!
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 59.22,,0,5 click on the white arrows to travel the route.
If you find any evidence to the contrary PM me.

facing the other way the limit starts here, http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 9,,1,-1.97 . I cannot find any camera symbols on the route.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 22:01 
New User
New User

I have gone through the whole road from the intersection of stoneham lane and Bassett green road going North bound and I cannot find any indication of a 30mph limit sign post on the road . I have never seen this van with 30mph in the window .

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 22:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

pushkar wrote:
I have gone through the whole road from the intersection of stoneham lane and Bassett green road going North bound and I cannot find any indication of a 30mph limit sign post on the road . I have never seen this van with 30mph in the window .

As Anton has already hinted at: there doesn't need to be any 30 signs to indicate a 30 limit (although there should be two at point of a speed limit change).

In the absence of speed limit signs or repeaters, streetlamps being closer than 200 yards means it is a :30:

I know Whackypedia (click) usually shouldn't be taken as gospel, but in this case it explains the issue well.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 22:57 
User

Oops:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 15&iwloc=A

It's a bit rubbish though that if you're turning left out of that road onto the dual there's nothing to tell you the dual's a 40.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 06:31 
Supporter
Supporter

weepej wrote:
Oops:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 15&iwloc=A

It's a bit rubbish though that if you're turning left out of that road onto the dual there's nothing to tell you the dual's a 40.

And the legislation rather begs the question of how the driver is supposed to measure the distance between street lights from within his car.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 08:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bassett Green Road is well known locally as a spot where SCP vans lurk. It is indeed 30mph except for the Northerly bit going up to the Chilworth roundabout, which is 40mph.

However, enforcement is normally in the Southern direction as this is downhill and you come into the 30mph limit round a bend which obscures the camera site further down.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 08:48 
Life Member
Life Member

If the 30 signs Weepeji & I highlighted did not have the required visibility or were faded or not lit there might be a case or if the signs entering the zone from stonham lane were defective in some way.

If you were called away to an emergancy and your car "was being used as an ambulance" you might have a defence.

I cannot see any camera signs. That may be a defence.

It is a bit rubbish, but you work in Hampshire and If you follw the links on the bottonm of my post you might realise the battle I have had with theese untouchable rouges.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 20:01 
User

Have to say if you get onto Bassett Green road via stoneham lane I can't see any 30 signs going along that way (although it' pretty clear it's not a 40 road given the drive ways pavements and street lights).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 00601&z=21

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:15 
Life Member
Life Member

That end of stoneham lane is 30 limit , the other end coming from eastleigh I believe is NSL but I havnt driven down it for a decade!Street view dosent cover that section