The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 22:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 21:09 
New User
New User

hi

just after a bit of advice please...

Have just recieved an NIP for failing to stop at a red light. The photos shows my the whole vehicle crossed the line at a red light. However, i did stop before the junction, so although i crossed the stop line i did not run the junction. (saw the light late and did an emergency stop.)
I did actually then reverse a little bit to put myself a bit behind the line, but obvcorse the camera shots show my back wheels crossing the line and the second shot i am about 2 metres passed (presumabley stopped and about to start reversing, the photo shows that my break lights are on)

is it worth mentioning this as a defence or is there no discretion etc available for this?

thanks in advance

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 20:28 
Magistrate
Magistrate

For the offence of fail to stop at a red light they have to prove that a part of the car crossed the stop line while the light was red. Stopping over the line but short of the junction may well have saved you from a charge of DWDC or even dangerous driving but won't help to avoid the charge they have notified you of.

I am not clear on when you were caught. Red light camera photographs usually have a speed reading, if you were photographed while reversing the speed should show as a negative number. I think that such a reading is still technically valid but would hope that the CPS would not proceed with such a case.

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.

Profile Send private message