Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 21:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My mum
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 20:00 
User

In Gear wrote:
Oh .. we perform and keep it steady. We make improvements . but the league tables depend on "ticked box targets" and like the school league tables and the hospital league tables? You are none the wiser. The public still want to know if some one will catch the person who stole their possessions. :roll: etc.

Speaking as one from a large family .. I know what you mean there.. :popcorn: but that's :soap: chat stuff.

The other political lot say they will not have any more fixed cameras on the basis that there are enough already. We are hoping that a return to placing speed and all traffic enforcement back into RPU hands will prove once and for all that properly trained professionals who understand each driving situation are the only real delivers of fair safety out there. However, no one can guarantee absolute safety as we all know there are some seriously deranged dudes out there 24/7 who take no notice of a police uniform and certainly no notice of any speed camera - be it fixed/mobile or temporary in road works :roll:

They have not said they will do a "Swindon" nationwide ..but perhaps if Swindon proves it can deliver a safer road system without the fixed cams ... and mirrors N Yorks and Durham . then just maybe ????? :scratchchin: I think that town will be watched like a hawk on this. They have an advantage over these areas North East who never subscribed to the scheme in normal SCP formal :wink: - in that they had a forest of live Gatsos and now they don't .. and their stats - past and near futures - have potential for proper peer reviewed research as result of their decision. :popcorn:

Northamptonshire Councillor is considering their options on removing Scams and I am awaiting their response to my last email.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 15:46 
User

In Gear wrote:
Oh .. we perform and keep it steady. We make improvements . but the league tables depend on "ticked box targets" and like the school league tables and the hospital league tables? You are none the wiser. The public still want to know if some one will catch the person who stole their possessions. :roll: etc.

Speaking as one from a large family .. I know what you mean there.. :popcorn: but that's :soap: chat stuff.

The other political lot say they will not have any more fixed cameras on the basis that there are enough already. We are hoping that a return to placing speed and all traffic enforcement back into RPU hands will prove once and for all that properly trained professionals who understand each driving situation are the only real delivers of fair safety out there. However, no one can guarantee absolute safety as we all know there are some seriously deranged dudes out there 24/7 who take no notice of a police uniform and certainly no notice of any speed camera - be it fixed/mobile or temporary in road works :roll:

They have not said they will do a "Swindon" nationwide ..but perhaps if Swindon proves it can deliver a safer road system without the fixed cams ... and mirrors N Yorks and Durham . then just maybe ????? :scratchchin: I think that town will be watched like a hawk on this. They have an advantage over these areas North East who never subscribed to the scheme in normal SCP formal :wink: - in that they had a forest of live Gatsos and now they don't .. and their stats - past and near futures - have potential for proper peer reviewed research as result of their decision. :popcorn:

I note that you claim all operations on speed enforcement are checked and verified but what are your comments on the case of Dr G Luxford and the Northants SCP (police). This case has blown a hole the size of the O2 dome through the operations and claims of ALL SCPs and cameras. It is a 20 page document which has forced the Northants Council to consider their scrapping of these unaccepatble operations in the name of road safety. However their C/Constable can remain in office is beyond anyones wildess dreams. I am so digusted at what has been divulged that I would willingly shoot holes into any of those vans in Northants. A police force who corrupts video evidence should never be operating and this factual report is just that,FACTUAL. It is beyond belief the actions that they took to extricate themselves from a situation which they themselves brought about ,but, at least it has shown just what happens within the police and these so called SCPs to bring about revenue generation for Government. However the C/Constable can hold any respect from his officers or the public is questionable. I cannot go into detail as this report is 20 pages long like I have said, but, it is explosive and the police had no answers to all points before them. In other words.--"Guilty your honour of all charges." OLLIE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 20:59 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

An update:

Mama has opted for the course. Unfortunately the chosen day of the course was the day of the funeral of a close family member (which required a bit of a travel for all of us). The organiser has rescheduled the date.

Part of me wishes I could take her place on the course :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 21:46 
Site Admin

Perhaps you should give her some questions ... :)
Most seem to want to be nodding donkeys and exit as fast as possible. I gather if you don't 'agree' then they can still fail you on the course or some such but they ought to be able to answer many questions of any involved nature ....

Sorry to hear of the family bereavement ... take care.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 23:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Just a thought ,Steve ,and said in the most polite way - perhaps you might get hold of IG's post on Coast - teach mum to look in advance ,particularly for these highway leeches who ain't interested in safety ,but profit .( sort of remind me of the imaginery spechis on one of the Startrek series -Ferengi , who put profit above all)-and do some re education of her driving skills .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 01:24 
Site Admin

A lady recently told me how an old driving book (not absolutely sure it was a Highway Code) showed the COAST principals. The small book was many years old. These good driving basics are good words, to start by but gradually as they become ingrained through experience then the driving standard rises and ensure a safe driving default is assured, even when mistakes and errors occur.
It is sad that most people in this Country are being made 'criminals' by the authorities, for potentially driving safely, and in doing so de-value the word 'criminal' and the respect for the justice system as a whole.
I do continue to see small hopeful changes and a growing increase in Councils that choose to move away from cameras, so progress continues.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

A chap in my office recently went on one of these courses to avoid the points. He has doing, I think, 78mph on a dual carriageway. It cost £75.

He found it quite useful. No finger wagging, naughty boy stuff - just commonsense. There were a wide variety of attendees and not just 18 year olds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 00:22 
Site Admin

Steve wrote:
An update:
Mama has opted for the course. Unfortunately the chosen day of the course was the day of the funeral of a close family member (which required a bit of a travel for all of us). The organiser has rescheduled the date.
Part of me wishes I could take her place on the course :twisted:

I would have expected them to alter the date - most in authority recognise these life events that simply cannot be changed.
I can understand your desire to attend a course. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 16:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Final update:

Mama went on the course not too long ago. Yesterday we had a good chat about this and related items.

She thought the course was really good, it taught a lot besides speedo gazing – it even had a large chunk dedicated to something we push hard: C.O.A.S.T. She gave me the pamphlet given to her, some pages copied here.

Attachment:
SAC COAST.jpg [45.86 KiB]
Downloaded 607 times

We agreed that something so apparently useful should be part of driving tuition (as motorway driving should be) and that it was silly to selectively introduce it as they are doing.
Only now do I realise this is a ploy to make the 'speed camera course' appear useful – how cunning!

However, there were sections about stats, which she fell for.

Attachment:
SAC RTTM.jpg [50.22 KiB]
Downloaded 600 times

I enlightened her about RTTM and bias on selection ;) She (and dad) understood these and agreed this is nothing short of underhand by the SCPs.

So Greenshed, has "RTTM been addressed" properly, or at all? :roll:

We had a short but very productive debate about limits and responsibilities of road user groups. I think I surprised her with how thorough and disarming my arguments were. She raised the normal points (speed linked to severity), I countered with the confounding factors (sleepiness [lack of stimulation, time driving], traffic displacement from less safe roads/times, link to unpredictable behaviour, respect for laws in general). She agreed (of course) and would have liked the chance to give those arguments back to the SAC presenter, but she said there was absolutely no opportunity to do so. In fact she was given the impression that such questioning wouldn’t be tolerated and doing so risked failing the course (and getting the endorsement points).

I can scan the entire pamphlet (apart from the personals) is anyone wants it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 21:29 
User

I am so delighted that they are all now using our COAST concept.

I am not so delighted about the method used to retrain and it can undermine the importance of COAST .. which only our van chaps will offer here .. but our trafpol offer under guise of DIS :wink:

I will remind Greenshred or Greenshrek as Wildy :neko: has started to call him (and this family hope he sees this as funy well intentioned banter and not meaning offence/disrespect or insult to him) that he does not work for or has 'owt to do with the road safety policy of his neighbouring county .. but that we do our best to enforce the law fairly/efficiently and competently without invoking the wrath of our customers :popcorn:

If he does not like this as it "does not fit in with his "doctrine and business plan" :wink: .. he can just "lump it" :lol: as we are not "soft" by any stretch of the imagination and if you upset our lads and lasses out there - adversely :yikes: . they will be 'avin' words wi' you all.

Speed cams .. be they fixed or "mobile" :roll: and even within our own "enforcement areas" quickly become known to the "discerning driver at large - especially the "wide boys" :banghead: " and this will lead to RTTM in due course. Lots of factors influence poor driving.. see my Hendon Notes of around 2004 in which we (Gatsobait/the late Paul/Rigpig/Roger/PeterE/Pete317/ Steve above/malc/Hiomer/Odin/Aquila and all other current regulars who are known by posting quality to be sound, safety led drivers :bow:) tried to address these driver shortcomings and suggest ways to improve theirs and our lot on the roads out there. .

I will point out that the "wide boys" have zero chance to escape around here all the same :yikes: It's grim up north :popcorn:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.