Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 15:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 18:48 

Bit of a long shot this, but does anyone know what the situation is with driving over here on another EU Member State's licence? A freind of my parents who is a non-UK national, has just been done for having an "expired" provisional licence. I don't know any of the details but I'm told that this person holds a full Spanish driving licence and has been working over here for (I think) well over a year. Can't they just get a UK full licence if they've already got one from another Member State?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 19:44 
Magistrate
Magistrate

You can get most of the information about overseas licences here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022562

have a read of that lot and post again if what you want isn't there.

EDIT : the above URL is general info, this one is specific to EU licences

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022556

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:28 
User

==============================
GENERAL INFO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_driving_licence

Information provided by wiki in this topic is reliable.

http://www.statewatch.org/news/2004/feb ... icence.htm

===============================

BUT the link below tells you your answer Mole. Scroll down to the relevant paragraphs.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/you ... cences.htm

If the full licence is valid in Spain and if your pal is EU resident/citizen - then that driving licence would be valid in the UK and not the provisional one which the person may have had some years ago before passing the Spanish L test.

There are plans to harmonise all driving tests and have a reciprocal penalty pointing system within EU. They were trying to bring into being by 2013 - but signs are it may be a bit later because of "having to bring new member states to standards required". :popcorn:

I would advise your pal to see a solicitor if being charged with an offence to clarify the situation. If the licence was issued by Spain and is a valid licence (and he's not driving a taxi or minibus etc for a living) - then his licence would allow him to drive a normal private car here just as we can if living in Spain :wink:

Note . Wildy did not have to obtain a UK licence as her original licence was issued in Germany. She had to obtain a Swiss driving licence apparently after 12 months in her home land ironically. She simply took their L test. :lol: She's currently adding a USA driving licence to her collection .. or they plan to have one each by Christmas. :lol:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 09:31 

Thanks both,

It's all gone awfully quiet! It's a frend-of-a-freind, so I have no real way of contacting them. Last I heard a solicitor was involved and the most likely explanation is a simple oversight / ignorance of the law - so they're probably "going down"!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 20:59 
User

Mole mate.

Keep us informed. Hope all goes well for whoever anyway. I am sure safe enough. but we all have to be aware of what the law of the land requires all the same.

All credit to the Mad Cats. They read up on local laws and intend to take all driving tests requirements by December. As you know the lovely wild :neko: had a nasty downturn in her health following the birth of those lovely twin girls. She was finally passed "fit" early September and the first thing she did? Ask me for a driving lesson :lol: Now from a woman who can drive anhy vehicle with meticulous precision ....

Well . that's her inner beauty. Not ever complacent. :bow:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.