It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 09:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 00:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
camera operator wrote:
ollie wrote:
Why is it whenever I read your posts I get a distinct smell.

Ollie - I started off wondering about CO -,but he's a bit more honest than some others ( e.g Greenshed) -and he admits in his sig that cameras don't work . Smell is not so pungent as Greeny and ( IMHO) A BIT MORE HOJEST .

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 01:16 
Site Admin

Chaps, may I remind you of the Forum Rules
and apart from don't be rude or insult people,
11. Ad hominem attacks are not allowed. (Ad hominem - Oxford English Dictionery : Of an argument etc.: directed to the individual, personal; appealing to feeling not reason.)
This means that we expect users to attack the argument rather than the poster. Violating this rule will result in a single warning. A repeated violation will result in forum rights being withdrawn, or an immediate ban.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 01:33 
Site Admin

camera operator wrote:
what a nice different of opinions
Quote:
Micktheengineer
Stephen --- I havn't seen anyone mention a photo of the 'tatgeted' car as yet ??? Is it not important that a photo is asked for ? .......... shown on the photo to be on a very curved part of the plastic bumper or bodywork that there is a possibility of error as in the case of Dr Phillip Tann to the tune of 12 MPH ????

I can only assume that Micktheengineer has failed to appreciate that this is a Trafpol 'pull' and that the officer in question was operating not from a cameravan setup but by himself. But equipment can error read we know this.
camera operator wrote:
.... no photo this was a roadside pull by a police officer (correct me if i am wrong, but isn't this what this site wants, stop by police using their discretion wheres IG when you need him).

Yep definitely as they ought to be able to judge. We need better trained officers who can asses the whole situation and appropriately enforce if necessary.
camera operator wrote:
Dr Tann ahh yes as greehshed said the police witness was unavailable to turn up, case dropped the theory never got heard, or did it !!!! maybe it raised its head when Dr. Tanns secetary got caught, :lol: , i wonder why the result never made the headlines, because the theory was disproved end of complete
Got any references ? esp to any paperwork ?
Stephen wrote:
In 6 yrs of using this equipment and similar I have never known it to give mis reads or slips and I check regulary for thsi as if I had any doubt about its ability then I would not use it
They can and do go wrong, I have seen this for myself many times.
camera operator wrote:
i once obtained a reading of 2mph off a stationary vehicle, at a distance less than 20metres at a very silly angle, a colleague and i have also conducted many field trials using a speedscope, a 100 and a 1000 and a few others trying to get rogue readings / discrepancies, the only conclusion i have is the 100 gives out more error readings, but we all know why that is,
Well it woudl be good to go play with the latest equipment but when I had a go with Paul and Dr Clerk and Ch 4 we got many error readings. and they were not 'silly angles'. It is wrong and very troubling that many maybe loosing their licences for 'error-readings' and not taking them to Court for fear of costs, stress and fines.:(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:42 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
camera operator wrote:
Dr Tann ahh yes as greehshed said the police witness was unavailable to turn up, case dropped the theory never got heard, or did it !!!! maybe it raised its head when Dr. Tanns secetary got caught, :lol: , i wonder why the result never made the headlines, because the theory was disproved end of complete
Got any references ? esp to any paperwork ?

Dr. Tan acted as an expert witness for the defence; she pleaded guilty. Don't have a reference sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Stephen, an honest question for you, and please note that I am not trying to trap you, or imply any impropriety on your part, I am merely curious.

You mention that you take two readings and act on the second one. You also very rightly point out that the indicated speed might well be higher in the second reading. If the first reading indicated a speed within the limit, would you still take a second?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Greenshed, how is it that you think a guilty plea in a similar case involving Dr. Tann vindicates the infallibility of your devices? If this is the case then surely the police officer failing to attend court and the case being dropped would prove exactly the opposite!

There is every possibility that the defendant in question was indeed speeding, there is no suggestion that these devices are ALWAYS wrong, nor that they are only ever pointed at drivers driving below the limit. The fact remains that the technology has the potential to indicate erroneously, and as such should not receive absolute credibility in court.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Greenshed, how is it that you think a guilty plea in a similar case involving Dr. Tann vindicates the infallibility of your devices? If this is the case then surely the police officer failing to attend court and the case being dropped would prove exactly the opposite!

Your imagination and reasoning knows no bounds and follows a strange logic.
RobinXe wrote:
There is every possibility that the defendant in question was indeed speeding, there is no suggestion that these devices are ALWAYS wrong, nor that they are only ever pointed at drivers driving below the limit. The fact remains that the technology has the potential to indicate erroneously, and as such should not receive absolute credibility in court.

Some people had an opinion that the defendant wasn't speeding but had no evidence to support that opinion other than a belief.
All of the evidence said that the defendant was speeding and some of that evidence was interpreted by those that thought otherwise as something that had the potential to cause an error in speed but they were plainly wrong as it didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My imagination is clearly no more fertile than yours. I rather suspect that your position is born of a belief that everyone is guilty, and any defence is simply someone 'trying it on'.

Since you are unable to cite any official documentation on the course of proceedings we only have your word on what has happened, and that has been well proven to be suspect in the past, however, if we accept your account of events there is still no implication there that the devices in question are infallable. I am sure you are not so inept as to truly believe that a guilty plea means anything other than the defendant really was speeding and accepts that, with no implication to the wider veracity of all speedmeter readings, any more than a dropped case (for whatever alleged reason) indicates acceptance that every single speedmeter reading is inaccurate!

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:53 
User

RobinXe wrote:
My imagination is clearly no more fertile than yours. I rather suspect that your position is born of a belief that everyone is guilty, and any defence is simply someone 'trying it on'.

Since you are unable to cite any official documentation on the course of proceedings we only have your word on what has happened, and that has been well proven to be suspect in the past, however, if we accept your account of events there is still no implication there that the devices in question are infallable. I am sure you are not so inept as to truly believe that a guilty plea means anything other than the defendant really was speeding and accepts that, with no implication to the wider veracity of all speedmeter readings, any more than a dropped case (for whatever alleged reason) indicates acceptance that every single speedmeter reading is inaccurate!

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day! :D

You perhaps missed..."All of the evidence showed that the defendant was speeding" ... including that which did not come from the speedmeter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nope, saw that just fine, the problem is your insistance that a speedmeter reading in this case, be it accurate or not, or corroborated or not, makes any comment on the wider veracity of all speedmeter readings.

Perhaps someone else could explain the failings in Greenshed's logic to him, as I seem unable to dumb it down far enough for his understanding, and repeatedly trying to do so using an iPhone keyboard, whilst paying data roaming charges in Poland, is becoming quite tedious!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Nope, saw that just fine, the problem is your insistance that a speedmeter reading in this case, be it accurate or not, or corroborated or not, makes any comment on the wider veracity of all speedmeter readings.

Perhaps someone else could explain the failings in Greenshed's logic to him, as I seem unable to dumb it down far enough for his understanding, and repeatedly trying to do so using an iPhone keyboard, whilst paying data roaming charges in Poland, is becoming quite tedious!

I think you should pause and find some "evidence" to support your claim rather than some comic demonstrations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is where you are wrong again Greenshed, the burden of proof does not lie with me! Perhaps you'd care to cite an official source for your account of events, and also explain to us how you believe they vindicate the universal veracity of your speed measurement devices.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 13:35 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

yet again, greenshed is remarkably selective with what he responds to, isn't he!

viewtopic.php?p=219059#p219059
:tumbleweed:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 13:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The silence is truly deafening!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 17:58 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

botach wrote:
Ollie - I started off wondering about CO -,but he's a bit more honest than some others ( e.g Greenshed) -and he admits in his sig that cameras don't work .

do i thanks for informing me of that

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 19:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

OK then, what does your signature mean?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 19:18 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

malcolmw wrote:
OK then, what does your signature mean?

Quote:
i worked a camera for 4 yrs,

i worked for a SCP for 4 years

Quote:
i was unable to influence the drivers behaviour,

ahh i see, i had lets say a discussion with a manager about relaxing the restrictions on mobile camera enforcement only to be told no you can only work this tiny miniscule 3% of the road system, elsewhere drivers can do what they like its not in our remit, how can we try to reduce the mean speed if we are leaded down with rules and guidelines and statergy

Quote:
what comes around goes around,
mmmm dont know what that means

Quote:
BTW now ANPR,
self expanatory

Quote:
whatever i did, whatever i said, i'll be waiting
lyrics from take that

Quote:
http://www.cerysedwards.co.uk

take a look at the consequences of speeding

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 19:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sounds more like the consequences of driving like a pr*ck, of which speeding may be a symptom, but is certainly not the cause!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 19:34 

Quote:
how can we try to reduce the mean speed if we are leaded down with rules and guidelines and statergy

The mean speed of any road is rarely above it's speed limit unless it's one of those limits that has been dropped needlessly. E.g. previously a NSL and now 30MPH.

So even if EVERYONE stayed below the speed limit the mean speed isn't going to suddenly come down from being above the speed limit to below it. (unless in the example just given where the speed limit has been needlessly slashed).

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 19:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

RobinXe wrote:
Sounds more like the consequences of driving like a pr*ck, of which speeding may be a symptom, but is certainly not the cause!

Well yes, overtaking at 72 within a 30, within a residential area, is not just "speeding" is it - It's outright idiocy.

I also doubt there are ~30,000 cases of this kind every year (total K and SI).

CO, why did you use this in your sig? Is this particular case close to you in some way?

Quote:
i was unable to influence the drivers behaviour,

;)
Yes, a camera wouldn't have stopped him; trafpol would have.
Don't forget, this campaign is for speed enforcement.