Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 18:08 
New User
New User

Hi everybody yes this is the best place on the internet for people caught driving safely !!

I am 48 years old and have been driving for 30 years.

I have had in all this time only one previous conviction 10 years ago. It was for driving at 51mph on a dual carriageway in a non-built up area.

Recently I was caught driving 37mph on a traffic free A-road on a sunny day. Reckless eh?

I have tried to ask the Police exactly where the picture was taken as the 4km stretch of road in question is 50 mph for the most part. Obviously if I was photographed in the 30mph zone I will simply pay the fine and go on a speed awareness course.

But WHERE was the picture taken? Do the Police have to be able to prove where they took the photo and if so am I allowed to know where it was taken?

Regards to all

Cyrus

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 15:02 
User

Yes, the Police do have to produce the evidence. Have you asked for the photo or film/DVD?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:34 
New User
New User

Hi sirspeed and thx for reply.
Yes I have the photo
There is a number at the top of the photo ... 19703803 along with "37mph" and 190.0m (which presumably is the distance of the car from the camera).

I have checked and the 8-digit number does not appear to represent the grid reference so I am still none the wiser exactly where the photo was taken.

How do I ascertain where the photo was taken?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 16:39 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Cyrus wrote:
How do I ascertain where the photo was taken?

Does the photo show any background details that you could use to identify the location on Google Street View?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 19:23 
User

Hi Cyrus.
The eight figure number will relate to the site code together with the operators admin number. Eight figures are required so that the back office equipment (autoread) can workout who and where the camera was located. Usually the first four relate to the site code. It also appears by your discription of speed and distance that it is an LTI Laser device probably a Concept system. If so there will be DVD footage of the complete deployment and relevant equipment checks recorded. some Forces enter a grid or gps ref. on a seprate deployment record or pocket book....Worth asking for a DVD copy of offence. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 21:43 
New User
New User

Hi Peter thx for msg - the photo is a featureless desert - I could be on my way to Ayers Rock !

And thx Sir Speed for the info - I will chase up and seek DVD and seperate deployment record so that I can ascertain exact location via translation of site code into exact grid reference.

What a great site this is - just to say to all on here that it is great to see people using sites like this (and others) to fight for their right not to be prosecuted disproportionately to the original "offence" if some would like to call it that.

I have been driving safely for 30 years and have understood since I was aged 18 that a car is not a toy.

And I am pleased to hear recent announcements that Speed Cameras are starting to be withdrawn (Derby).

If I had my way they'd get rid of all speed limit signs as well. It is really distracting having to keep an eye out for them and makes me worse driver. Instead just have 5 Speed Rules...

1. Built up Area - 30
2. Built up area - dual carriageway - 40
3. Open Road - 60
4. Open road - dualled - 70
5. Motorway - 85 - the general flow of traffic appears to be doing this speed anyway.

It is perfectly possible to drive safely at these speeds. And isn't that the objective of all of this?

Best Wishes to all here

Cyrus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 23:16 

Quote:
ust have 5 Speed Rules...

1. Built up Area - 30
3. Open Road - 60
5. Motorway - 85 - the general flow of traffic appears to be doing this speed anyway.

It is perfectly possible to drive safely at these speeds. And isn't that the objective of all of this?

:welcome:

:clap:

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 09:14 
Supporter
Supporter

Surely any indictment has to state the place where the offence occurred. The defence might be that the defendant was elsewhere at the time. Perhaps Fisherman could elucidate?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 13:59 
New User
New User

Sir Speed - DVD - Rules of Disclosure

Sir Speed, I have been informed that I am not entitled to a copy of the DVD under the Rules of Disclosure.
Only AFTER summons and after entering Plea of "Not Guilty" am I then entitled to see it.

Were you aware of this ?

From reading posts elsewhere on here about the scarcity of reason or justice in the Courts I don't fancy a slap in the face in the Court and costs into the bargain. So even though I may not even be guilty I am obliged to to take the penalty and pay £60 for a Speed Awareness Course.

On a positive note I hear that Oxford have now decommissioned their speed cameras.

Best wishes to all on here - Cyrus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 18:55 
User

Cyrus wrote:
If I had my way they'd get rid of all speed limit signs as well. It is really distracting having to keep an eye out for them and makes me worse driver. Instead just have 5 Speed Rules...

1. Built up Area - 30
3. Open Road - 60

Best Wishes to all here

Cyrus

OK, but minor adjustments if I may:

Road types 3, 4 and 5 should be NSL, where NSL = no speed limit. Most types of built-up area would be adequately catered for by the use of 30 or 40 limits, with the occasional 20 mph limit in special situations, such as congested town centres or residential areas, where the hazard density is especially high. I'd have no problem at all with that, but the open road is an entirely different matter.... :drive1:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:38 
Magistrate
Magistrate

dcbwhaley wrote:
Surely any indictment has to state the place where the offence occurred. The defence might be that the defendant was elsewhere at the time. Perhaps Fisherman could elucidate?

There is a bit of case law for this which says, in effect, that the evidence as to location must be sufficiently precise so that it does not hinder the defendant in the preparation of his defence.

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.