The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 13:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 14 day rule con
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 18:17 
New User
New User

Hi,

My mother got a speed camera fine through the post three weeks after the offence had been committed.

The car had just been bought recently by my dad and he is the register owner of the vehicle and was driving it at the time of the offence but for some reason the police sent the fine to my mum.
My father has an EU licence but my mother has a UK one, maybe this is the reason why they originally sent the fine to her.

Anyway, the NIP was sent 3 weeks after the offence date.
My parents were not aware of the 14 days rule so just signed the form giving the details of the driver and opted for a speed awareness course at sixty quid to avoid the three points. He has now been on the course.

Now since the police breached the 14 day rule, can they request a refund of the 60 quid?

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: 14 day rule con
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 20:02 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

jackfoley wrote:
Now since the police breached the 14 day rule, can they request a refund of the 60 quid?

As I understand it: once the 'confession' (within the conditional offer) has been signed, there is no going back on it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 21:32 
User

agree with steve, somewhat confused though your father is the RK, yet your mother recieved the COFP, yet your father went on the SAC,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 22:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

toonbarmy wrote:
agree with steve, somewhat confused though your father is the RK, yet your mother recieved the COFP, yet your father went on the SAC,

Well, his father correctly identified himself as the driver - the odd question is why the NIP went to his mother if his father is the RK.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 13:03 
User

PeterE wrote:
toonbarmy wrote:

Well, his father correctly identified himself as the driver - the odd question is why the NIP went to his mother if his father is the RK.

Maybe for the same reason I once got papers from the Inland Revenue addressed to MRS Ernest Marsh!

The very next letter from them had 6 others included giving details of six peoples dealings with them - some incompetent had folded up all seven letters and stuffed them in my envelope - a point not lost when I went to an independent tribunal to fight their stupidity!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 16:06 
Magistrate
Magistrate

jackfoley wrote:
The car had just been bought recently by my dad and he is the register owner of the vehicle and was driving it at the time of the offence but for some reason the police sent the fine to my mum.

jackfoley wrote:
Anyway, the NIP was sent 3 weeks after the offence date.
Only the first NIP has to be within the 14 days. That goes to the registered keeper of the vehicle. The only way they could have known your mothers name is if somebody named her.

You say the car was recently purchased. If it was very recently a first NIP could have gone to the previous keeper. Would they have had your mothers name?

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 23:51 
Site Admin

After the first 14 day NIP has been issued, it can be 6 months for (e.g. a Company) that party to notify the driver etc.
That means much time may have passed before many have been notified, long after the original alleged offence,