Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 20:22 
New User
New User

Am i on another 2 year probationary period?

got 6 points for driving with no insurance, now i have my test again on the 19th November, am i on another 2 year probationary period should i pass my test?????

cant find the answer anywhere does anyone know? please help.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 07:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes.

Don't be a scumbag, buy insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 17:36 
New User
New User

Excuse me, thought i was insured and it also turns out that ya not on probation as a professional has just told me, so thanks for the useless information and dont be so critical without knowing the facts!
RobinXe wrote:
Yes.

Don't be a scumbag, buy insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 18:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

jezzablack wrote:

got 6 points for driving with no insurance, now i have my test again on the 19th November, am i on another 2 year probationary period should i pass my test?????

I've done some digging:
Strictly speaking, there is no probationary period. However, the original points remain until they expire as normal. So in effect you can still only accrue another 6 points before you lose your licence again. I believe the original points take effect for 3 years from the date of offence (and remain on your licence for 4 years; you have to declare to insurers for 5 years).

http://www.2pass.co.uk/retest.htm
Quote:
MORE PENALTY POINTS
Licences are not revoked a second time if more points are obtained after a successful retest. However, the points already on the licence stay on from the date of the offence for which they were given. Passing the retest does not remove the penalty points from your licence, and if the total reaches 12, you are liable to be disqualified by a court.
Under Section 35 of The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 a driver who amasses 12 points within a 3 year period faces disqualification for a minimum of 6 months under the “Totting Up” provisions.

More here:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/think/focusareas/ ... areyou_id=

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 02:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hence the yes, and whatever you claim to have thought, it's very easy to tell if you're insured or not, don't make the same mistake again!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 02:20 
New User
New User

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Steve wrote:
jezzablack wrote:

I've done some digging:
Strictly speaking, there is no probationary period. However, the original points remain until they expire as normal. So in effect you can still only accrue another 6 points before you lose your licence again. I believe the original points take effect for 3 years from the date of offence (and remain on your licence for 4 years; you have to declare to insurers for 5 years).

http://www.2pass.co.uk/retest.htm
Quote:
MORE PENALTY POINTS
Licences are not revoked a second time if more points are obtained after a successful retest. However, the points already on the licence stay on from the date of the offence for which they were given. Passing the retest does not remove the penalty points from your licence, and if the total reaches 12, you are liable to be disqualified by a court.
Under Section 35 of The Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 a driver who amasses 12 points within a 3 year period faces disqualification for a minimum of 6 months under the “Totting Up” provisions.

More here:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/think/focusareas/ ... areyou_id=