Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 17:40 
New User
New User

recently recieved a NIP.

on checking the evidence through the suffolk safecam portal i notice that the range shown on the data window of the photograph is over 150m. the force says it uses 'redflex lasercam NT' equipment.

now, there is a pdf produced by reflex that states in its technical spec "daylight capture range 5-100m". http://www.delonixradar.com.au/manuals/ ... ochure.pdf

on the safecam website there are several places where ranges much greater than this are claimed. eg "The lasercam is capable of detecting speeds up to 1km away." http://www.suffolkroadsafe.net/suffolks ... ameras.php

my questions are:
is the daylight capture range of max 100m relevant, ie is the machine being used outside of its specification if over this distance?
is this good grounds for getting this dismissed?

i have read on several opinion boards that this kit is only usable to a max range of 100m. the redflex document seems to imply that 100m is the max in daylight. but nowhere have i seen a link to or a quotable source that specifically states that use at greater range than 100m is outside its valid use.

can anyone help with further information especially links to official source material

many thanks in advance

djs

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 18:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It can detect speeds as far away as it can still obtain a measurable return signal; that doesn't mean it is returning the speed of what the operator thinks it is!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 20:42 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I suspect the stated range limit is that of the camera imager (and flash), as opposed to the laser speed meter device. Don't quote me on that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:18 
User

Steve wrote:
I suspect the stated range limit is that of the camera imager (and flash), as opposed to the laser speed meter device. Don't quote me on that.

The Cameras optimum working range is 40m-100m according to the manufactures recommendation. The speed meter works at between 23m-610m.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:41 
User

Berwickst wrote:
Steve wrote:

The Cameras optimum working range is 40m-100m according to the manufactures recommendation. The speed meter works at between 23m-610m.

The Lasercam NT was used with a LTI20.20TS/M in Suffolk and that works between 9m - 999.9m.

They now use Lasercam II with a Laser Atlanta speed meter.

The effectiveness of the camera to identify a registration plate clearly is quoted by Redflex but this doesn't restrict the range at which the laser can be used. The image from the camera is usually used as a notebook with which to identify the keeper of the vehicle but this does not prevent the camera operator noting the registration number to identify the keeper if the range is too far for the number to be identified from the image; that option for ID isn't often used but it can be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 14:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What is the width of the beam at 1km?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 22:36 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

RobinXe wrote:
What is the width of the beam at 1km?

For modern LTIs, the horizontal beam width is about 3.5 to 4m (the height will be a bit less).
I have first hand, raw data :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow, wider than pretty much any road vehicle, and many roads! Perhaps it should be called a "speed shotgun"!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RobinXe wrote:
Perhaps it should be called a "speed shotgun"!
Na, more like a Blunderbuss ;)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 14:44 
User

The width of the beam aids acquisition.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 14:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GreenShed wrote:

... aids acquisition of unintended targets?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 21:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
GreenShed wrote:

did you miss something -like :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 21:48 
Life Member
Life Member

Steve wrote:

unintended?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 18:07 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pete317 wrote:
Steve wrote:

unintended?
It's like 'friendly fire'. You were doing no harm, just minding your own business, but you've been shot just the same ;)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 20:01 
Life Member
Life Member

Big Tone wrote:
It's like 'friendly fire'. You were doing no harm, just minding your own business, but you've been shot just the same ;)

I was just questioning whether it was really unintentional to shoot someone, as in anyone will do. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 13:53 
Site Admin

GreenShed wrote:

Precisely how ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 14:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
GreenShed wrote:

Precisely how ?

Presumably in the same way as a shotgun aids hitting a bird in a flock; any one will do!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 15:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pete317 wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

I was just questioning whether it was really unintentional to shoot someone, as in anyone will do. :wink:

To borrow Robin's analogy.. the speeding duck-shoot does not get the ones which are really qwackers, just anything which happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. ;) :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 16:18 
Life Member
Life Member

Big Tone wrote:
To borrow Robin's analogy.. the speeding duck-shoot does not get the ones which are really qwackers, just anything which happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. ;) :D

A very long time ago, I heard someone attempting to justify this with words similar to: "Everybody speeds, nobody's innocent, so it doesn't really matter who is caught." :headbash:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 16:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pete317 wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

A very long time ago, I heard someone attempting to justify this with words similar to: "Everybody speeds, nobody's innocent, so it doesn't really matter who is caught." :headbash:
It's funny you say that because when I got done a long time ago I did think to myself at the time "well I've gotten away with so much, I suppose I should be grateful it's only this once".

Of course the fact that on this occasion where I had been speeding was at a time, place and situation where it was safe to do so, just like all the times before, still stuck in my craw. My angst was made all the worse when later that year, in 1976, the limit was actually raised from :30: to :40: . That raised limit is in place to this very day even though, (unlike back then when the road was completely free from parked cars), there are now cars parked across the entire length of that DC!

Move over Pete, make some room for me.. :banghead: :banghead:

Here's the road in question..

And this is the same road further up going in the opposite direction where it becomes rural, as you can see, but was reduced from a :nsl: to a :40: some three or four years ago.