The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Court Summons
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 
New User
New User

Hi
Would like some advice please. Back in November i was caught doing 97MPH on the M1 in Buckinghamshire by a camera van on a bridge. I received an NIP and sent it back straight away, 2 weeks ago i received a letter stateing i am not being offered a fixed penalty and that it will be taken to court. I have not received a letter from the courts yet but phoned them asking if there is a summons pending for me. They confirmed there is and will take place in June.

My question is what is the likely penalty (i have no previous points or convictions) also will i get the option to plead guilty by post.

Thank you :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Court Summons
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 14:34 
New User
New User

Anyone? :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 15:53 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The speed you were caught at is within the upper penalty band. This is why you are being summonsed.

Your license will more than likely be endorsed with 6 points. You'll likely have to pay a greater than usual fine (also to cover court costs).

I don't know if you can plead guilty by post; I would have thought you could.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 18:09 
Site Admin

:welcome: nbandey90

We tend to discuss the issues around the whole speed camera industry than specific cases as many of us are not qualified legally to provide appropriate advice.

I do however agree with Steve's points.

You do need to take proper legal advice but you ought to be able to always ask the Court Clerk who should be able to provide you some knowledge on whether you can plead guilty by post but I would have thought it always best to give Courtesy to the Court and attend and see if you can 'plead your case' and hope for a better outcome because of it. Certainly if you go it may just help a little.

Any concerns over loosing your license ? Any hardship pleas ? All sorts of things might be able to be considered to help you have a reduced fine and can be worth looking into.
You could contact Philip Somarakis who I am sure can advise you (for a fee), he is with Blake Lapthorn www.bllaw.co.uk info@bllaw.co.uk - 01865 248607.

Let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 08:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi nbandey90 :welcome:

Just a quickie to add that you would find Pepipoo a good place to start. Also, check out the 'NIP Wizard' which is free but you have to register first.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.