Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 09:54 
New User
New User

I have just got a notice from Devon & Cornwall to say I've been caught by a manned camera doing 72 mph on a 60mph limit single carriage way. It is backed up by photographic evidence.

I haven't filled in the section yet and wondered what the best course of action was. Do I take the punishment or try to fight it. I was speeding of that there is no doubt but wondered what people thought about the case.

I really could do with not having my insurance go up. Stupid to speed and you only change your habits when you get caught.

There is also a National Speed Awareness course offer costing £80.00 as an alternative to the fine/ points. Is this for real??

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 13:18 
Police Officer
Police Officer

Hello and welcome,
You admit to speeding then take your punishment like the ones before you,and hopefully you might learn something from it. If you fight it and loose,as you are a new driver,you could end up getting hammered at court,ie bigger fine and about 4 to 5 points or you could be lucky if thats the word to use and remain at small fine and 3 points.
Someone as new a driver as your self should not be asking should I try and fight it,after admitting guilt,but should be looking at ways you could go forward and learn from what you have done and try and stop it from happening again. Remember in your case you have/are admitting this and justice had already started so you are starting off a version of events that could amouint to lies which would leave you open to perverting the course of justcice,which could see you go to prison for as lots of people see it as only speeding they don't see the lies and deceit involved when you try and get off with something you admit has taken place. Harsh I know but I support genuine people who feel thay have not committed the offence for whatever reason,even some of them are doubtful in my opinion,but what most dont do is come on an open forum and admit there guilt then ask people's opinion as to admit or fight.
Stephen

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 14:36 
New User
New User

Most unhelpful/unneeded/un-insightful answer ever.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 15:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, I don't know about that.

You say you were speeding so you must either pay the FPN or take the Speed Awareness course (which is a useful option to avoid the points).

What are you saying? That you will go to court and lie about your speed?

Post subject: jump? Gun?
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 15:08 
New User
New User

No I wasn't I never mentioned court or lying or anything like that I wanted to now if anyone knew anything I might be missing.

You're all just jumping the gun.

(Post merged into this topic - PeterE as moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 15:09 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

petehall wrote:
There is also a National Speed Awareness course offer costing £80.00 as an alternative to the fine/ points. Is this for real??

Given that new drivers have to retake their test if they amass six points, it would make a lot of sense to take this option.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 15:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Responding to this post which I believe should be in this thread:

petehall wrote:
No I wasn't I never mentioned court or lying or anything like that I wanted to now if anyone knew anything I might be missing.

You're all just jumping the gun.

You did say you were speeding and were caught legitimately by a camera. The purpose of this site is not to advise you how to "get off" but to promote improved road safety by means other than cameras.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 15:35 
Police Officer
Police Officer

What were you expecting to here from people.
What did you mean when you say " Do I take the punishment or try to fight it."
Why, was my reply unhelpful .

You asked for an opinion and you got it,unfortuneately sometimes you don't always like what you here especially if it does not fall into what you want to here,I deal with people on a daily basis who are caught fair and square,then they attend court and lie through there back teeth about how I have lied etc etc. I am not interested about other people/officers methods.

I in 99% of the times give my advice based on experience and knowledge,and I will stand by what i previously said,if you believe that you are not guilty of the offence for whatever reason then I will try and help,but I will not be a party to any conspiracy to committ an offence,this is based on what you put in your post that I have quoted above,that is all.

So,you either like my advice or you don't take it or leave it the choice is yours,just like the choice is yours in both committing the offence in the first place and whether you should deal with it in the way you are thinking of to.
Stephen

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 15:37 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

petehall wrote:
Most unhelpful/unneeded/un-insightful answer ever.

It seems you didn’t like the answer you have been given; unfortunately (for you), Stephen is quite correct.

You know you were in excess of the limit, so trying to question the validity of the speed reading of the gun is very difficult, and risks far greater financial burdens than a slight increase of insurance premium (as Stephen rightly hinted at). Speeding offences are common enough for insurance companies to (effectively) turn a blind eye to the first speeding conviction.

The option of fighting the validity of the speed limit isn’t open to you as the road where you were caught is NSL (60mph in a single carriageway).

There is one alternative route open to you, but as Stephen rightly said, taking that route leaves yourself open to penalties extending well beyond steep fines.

Speed awareness courses are not offered to drivers caught above a certain level above the speed limit; ACPO guidelines recommends the cut-off point be 10%+6mph. Your speed is only just within this level so you may be offered this course as an alternative to points; however, there are other criteria that must be met for that course to be offered (I believe there are roads/areas where this cannot be offered).

My considered recommended action echoes Stephen’s: accept the penalty and hope for an offer. If you aren't offered one, then you really do need to rethink your driving style as the next hit within the next 14 months will see your licence revoked.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 18:08 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

you could always post the photographic evidence with VRM etc removed, if there is another vehicle within 1/4 a mile then it is a dodgy ping due to mis alignment

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 18:25 
Police Officer
Police Officer

I thought dodgy alignment only exists down in Bournmouth !!!!!.
Stephen

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 19:01 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Stephen wrote:
I thought dodgy alignment only exists down in Bournmouth !!!!!.
Stephen

:D its like dutch elm disease

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 17:26 
User

There is one point that no one has addressed and that it you have admitted exceeding the speed limit, on this forum, and if you try and challenge it then it will go to court and believe me those prosecuting will read this forum and produce your admission in court.

They have done this on several occasions to my knowledge, there are people who spend a lot of time scouring all the forums for posts such as yours

Result more points and a very large fine together with substancial costs

This will happen even if the enforcement was found to be wrong

Sorry guys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 18:47 
User

I am not sure I believe that. Not unless people stupidly include too many details. We all use aliases on this forum and whilst it wouldn't take much to find out who someone is, I think the chance of the prosecution services scanning for posts like this and then going to the trouble of establishing the identity of the person behind them is rather small.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 21:37 
User

DoktorMandrake wrote:
I am not sure I believe that. Not unless people stupidly include too many details. We all use aliases on this forum and whilst it wouldn't take much to find out who someone is, I think the chance of the prosecution services scanning for posts like this and then going to the trouble of establishing the identity of the person behind them is rather small.

Firstly I did not sat the prosecution services AKA CPS,

I know for absolute certainity that this happens, but only if a case is defended.

All the posts, on every forum, are read by certain people and, in this case, the facts already disclosed will easily identify this person if he pleads not guilty.

There are many people, on this forum, who know what I am talking about.

Printouts from this forum and Pepipoo have been used, in court and in statements, to convict a driver, this is from my own personal knowledge and not hearsay.

If anyone has been accused of exceeding the speed limit, and that is the offence, and they admit the offence then they are guilty and no one can or will defend them.

If they say they were speeding but not at the speed claimed, then they are still guilty but the punishment may be mitigated.

Only if they state they were not exceeding the speed limit will anyone defend them