Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 00:15 
New User
New User

ss

Last edited by clever83 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 04:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You probably need to 'get done' for using public roads as a race track. (I'm gussing you are young and 'invincible').

I believe all police cars are fitted with ANPR, so it very much depends on whether they got a lock on you instead of one of the other riders.

Normally, you would have to sit tight for two weeks and sweat it out but if it was deemed DD or DWDC this may not be the case. (There's speeding and there's sheer lunacy). You may find a clearer answer or similar post on Pepipoo.

There has been something of a record number of available organs during 'donor season' this year, so I was told. I would urge you to consider track days instead or do as I did and cultivate friends who have more respect for the roads and other road users.

Take care

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 14:47 
User

Well the WORST would be you lying in a morgue. So whatever else happens because of this incident, the severest it can be considered is as the second worst :D

Generally, if it's that fast, they will knock on your door for a nice wee chat or ask you kindly to accompany them back to the station. Unfortunately, if it goes to court, magistrates/judges seem to like to come down disproportionately hard on bikers. So speeds that would earn you a lengthy ban on four wheels you could end up serving time for.

I am by no means a slow rider, but I try to use speed appropriately and realise that the road is not the place for warp speed. The odds are against you and the penalties severe. Tone's right, sounds like you might want to consider a track bike. Less likely to get chased by the old bill... :D Sounds like whatever happens treat this as a lesson. Riding crazy (and I have done it, I think we all have at some stage) in my experience only ends up one way.

The problem with saying you were not riding the bike is that you have admitted as much on this forum. Therefore, if it went to court and you pleaded that it was someone else riding or you didn't know who and somehow they managed to prove it was you typing on here you could get done for the original offence plus attempting to pervert the course of justice. Risky. Plus if they discovered any other way you were telling porkies (someone grassed on you, CCTV of you in a local garage with your helmet off getting on your bike, etc. etc.) they you would be in deep poop.

I am not advocating removing one's plate or committing any such offence in any way shape or form, but it always seems the height of stupidity, if you insist on breaking the law to such a degree as to be going warp speed everywhere, to leave your plate on. I have known people who have had the coppers getting back to their house before they have! That said, in my experience, most people I know who have run have never heard anything back. So you will probably be ok. However, given that it's Monday, and I presume you were out yesterday, I'd have said you have a few more days of sweating it out left. 14 days from now and I'd have said you'd be ok. However, generally, the police take a dim view of people who fail to stop and a dimmer view of those 'tearing the roads with speeds reaching the speed of sound', so I would watch your back if it's your manor you were on. However, hopefully you won't hear anything and can chalk it up to experience and learn from it.

The other thing in your favour is that the car chasing you may not have been equipped with any sort of radar/video equipment. I am not sure how likely that is these days, but even so, I have known people who have been pulled and given just a ticking off for 100+ as 'the radar's not working/not equipped/not switched on' and the person was using the speed appropriately (eg 100+ on a motorway dual carriage way not round a hairpin) but that seems a rarity these days. They may not have you on video though or a record of your speed. So, even if they catch you, it is the copper's word against yours. If the worst happens, just keep your mouth shut/try not to incriminate yourself and get legal advice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 23:59 
New User
New User

thanks alot Doktor and Tone......I agree with both of you completely.....what can i say... being young, dumb and easily influenced wen it comes to devlish or foolish acts....anyways Im just praying that nothing happens......as to getting legal advice or a solictor etc what firm do you guys recommend?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 00:24 
User

If you get nicked, just don't incriminate yourself. There was one dude who was stunting on the roads, wheelies, stoppies, burn outs etc. and some saw him, took his plate and the cops popped round for a chap. Just to give him a friendly warning/ticking off and tell him they were keeping their eye on him. They couldn't do anything other than that as they just had the word of a member of the public who'd lodged the original complaint. Well, what does my boy do as soon as he opens the door and sees two coppers standing there? He drops on them 'ah, so you're here about the youtube videos'. he filmed the whole thing and stuck it on the web. I think he may have got time for that and he dropped himself in it. So be smart.

As for legal advice, I have no idea. There are a few web sites. Do a search. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 00:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sound like you'd be lucky to get points, more likely failing to stop, you're looking at some serious book throwing, and it sounds like you could use it.

Remember, as bikers other road users view us all as a collective. While you're out thrashing the bollocks off it, more than likely above your level of ability, other road users are looking at you and seeing a prick, a prick biker, another prick biker. Your actions affect those people's attitude towards all of us.

When I'm next filtering into London and some wanker in a cage thinks it's ok to nearly knock me off by trying to block me, I'm going to be thanking riders like you for fucking it up for all of us.

Nice one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 08:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well that kinda told it as it is. :shock:

I have to confess I was once that Looney, so I'm trying to be gentle here. :whome: Sadly, as old and experienced as we are there is no guarantee that we won't rack up endorsements and be regarded as a Looney too today; hence my gripe with the current system. It's a lottery..

@ clever83. It sounds like you are a nice guy and have had a wake up call to what could happen. As Robin says, (in a different sort of way :D ), it’s bikers like you that give bikers like us a bad name. It isn’t that there are not crazy car drivers as well but somehow bikers have more of a reputation for kamikaze status and things like this don't help.

I've just chalked up my 50,380th mile on one bike from new over 6.5 years; it's unlikely you will do the same if you carry on as your have been. So I say again, distance yourself from the others if they choose to carry on like that. Better still, PM me and maybe I can get you to see the aftermath of some guys who still had a pulse after they’d been scraped off the road.

I always think back to a lovely guy I used to play badminton with, damn good he was too. A biker overcooked a bend and hit his car head-on killing the biker instantly. I didn’t know why he’d been off the scene for months and had the shock of my life when I next saw him. My friend and his wife never played badminton again, and all because of a thrill seeker. :cry:

I have a daughter your age btw, looking at your user name, and four grandchildren. I don't want someone like you mowing them down. Okay, end of lecture. I'll get off your back now...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 00:59 
New User
New User

ss

Last edited by clever83 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 01:41 
User

Passing the buck a bit there, old chap. It is not any one group of riders that is responsible for the negative stereotype. You said it yourself, couriers do it every day, you ride like that once or twice a year - who is likely to survive longer? Also, check out the stats online of the highest speeding bikers pulled - not one courier amongst them. They are always the matching leathers and bike, sports bike riding twats (of which I proudly am one :D) However, I have worked as a courier, too, and would argue that even the looniest courier is safer than fair weather Sunday rider. Any. Day. Of. the. Week. Couriers may take risks and often ride with two fingers up to the highway code but they are a lot less visible than power rangers and they do it every day. They are well in tune with their machine, they live in the saddle, know what they can and cannot get away with, have a healthy regard for their own mortality in most cases (they are self employed usually - so no job security. If they bin it and are out of actions for months/years no one is putting food on the table), they ride smaller bikes usually, are not out thrill seeking (honestly, riding for a living is totally different from being out Sunday with the lads - you are alone for a start not racing egos and you are effectively at work) they have racked up more miles in a month than some power rangers get close to in a year/life time and are less likely to cause an accident or even give bikers a bad name I would have said due to the cited reasons. Plus, if you get cut up by someone with a courier company hi-viz on you are maybe more likely to give them a pass as at least they are doing a (hard) job and have a reason for riding like that - they have a reason to be setting a pace.

Moped riders are often below average on the skills/observation front as they haven't passed a test and in many instances are young. They are still building their skills, in the best arena for improvement and honing and refining skills - the road. This means they should be treated with caution. Similarly the L Plates will mean that a lot of people will probably view them differently to you if they are seen riding like a idiot. They haven't passed a test and are learning. They'd also have to work pretty hard to get a speeding ticket or cause any damage. They can be a menace in and out of town and I have had friends who have been taken out by mopeds and myself nearly once or twice (I remember a guy on a vespa pulling out on me and carrying on looking the other way riding straight across my path, I would have jumped off but there were cars coming the other way so I just closed my eyes fully expecting to wake up in hospital, this guy really had no clue. I still do not know how we didn't make contact. Act of god) but really they are only give moped riders a bad name (who aren't bikers strictly anyway). Someone seeing a 16 year old tearing about recklessly on a Runner at 63mph is not going to view the chap on the BMW in a different light because of it.

Unfortunately, this country is rather stuffy and stuck up and so it's quite easy to put some people's noses out of joint. Even if we were all angels, little Englanders would still moan and complain about noisy bikers. It's what they do. If you speak to people who don't ride, it's always staggering the ignorance you encounter. For example, it always amazes me how many people cannot tell differentiate between bikes. It's second nature to us, but they have no idea between an R6 and a CG usually. They just catagorise them by size. Big and small is the extent of their knowledge. So tearing about recklessly on a 'big' bike is going to tar anyone on a big bike potentially with the same brush. That said, I am no saint. I do believe the roads are there to be enjoyed, despite how certain charities may view anyone having fun on a road, but knowing when and where and how to enjoy them is essential. I have seen and done some truly stupid things (on both two wheels and occasionally four too) in my time. I really shouldn't be here. The important thing is to learn from it to ensure that I am. When you start losing friends or you no longer get the adrenaline hit from a 'near miss' when that becomes common place you start to think maybe it's time to calm it down a bit. That doesn't come naturally to me, believe me. It's not easy.