The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 03:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 80 in a 50 - Glasgow
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 16:36 
New User
New User

Hi,

I was caught doing 80 in a 50 on the M8 in Glasgow last week. I had travelled up from Manchester and didn't realise the change in limit on the M8.

It was my own fault and I fully accept I was in the wrong and a bit of an idiot.

Could anyone advise how I will be dealt with by the authorities? From a quick scan on google im expecting a ban of some form. I'm worried about any court appearance given I live in Manchester and the offence occurred in Glasgow.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm feeling pretty low at the minute and bit of an idiot.

Thanks,
Neil

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 80 in a 50 - Glasgow
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 17:50 
User

I think this section of road has been mentioned on here before. Certainly sound confusing.

I am not sure whether the best defence is just to explain that you did not see the signs and were from out of town?

Given that it is a motorway, you may not necessarily get banned. It depends. you may just get a few points and a big fine. Unfortunately you will have to go back to Glasgow, I expect, for the trial. Have you received a summons?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 18:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I would have thought 80 in a 50 would be 4-6 points plus a large fine rather than a ban. Is there any sort of semi-official table for when you can expect a ban?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 
New User
New User

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, i haven't received the summons yet, im expecting to see it each evening when i get in from work.

From the research i have done so far i may be able to plead guilty by post, but even then they may still request me to attend a hearing so ill have to make the trip back to Glasgow.

It was my own fault so ill have to take it all on the chin and face whatever they throw at me. I have a clean license, the incident happened around 10pm when the traffic was light and there was good visibility. I'll be able to get a letter from my employer stating any ban will hinder my career.

The whole experience has certainly made me look and change the way i drive.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 14:57 
User

The thing is, you may have been driving perfectly safely. I'd imagine you probably were. Now lawfully, that is another matter entirely. NIP has to be served within 14 days, 21 and you should be in the clear, as they do not have to guarantee receipt of the letter, only that they sent it within the specified time. If the vehicle was not yours but is a company/hire car then they have slightly longer.

Fingers crossed you hear nothing back. Why do you think you got caught? I may be able to allay your fears somewhat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 15:45 
New User
New User

Sorry i should have made it clear, i was stopped by a patrol car and cautioned etc.

From looking into the process, will i be issued with a NIP if i was stopped and cautioned at the time? I think i will just get sent the summons and have to reply to that.

Saying all that im just going on what i have read on the internet and google'd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 20:17 
User

What did you say to plod?

Did they give you a ticket there and then or tell you that you would be going to court? I know on an NSL dual carriageway/motorway road police have discretionary powers up to 96 or 98 mph, so they can just give you a ticket and a fine (it is easier for the courts and lucrative) but I also know a chap who got an NIP in the post for 99 or 100 mph on the A3. 3 points, no prizes, and a fine.